Optima batteries

philofab

Powered by Optima
RDC Crypto
See when optima was interstate owned they would honor the sticker on the top no matter if there is a receipt or not and no matter where you got it from.
Why even put the sticker on top any more?

Optima is currently owned by Johnson Controls who also owns Interstate Battery. Interstate will only warranty batteries they sold, so if you got an Optima from Autozone or Sam's Club it needs to go back there for warranty. Interstate won't even touch Interstate brand batteries from Sam's Club.

it seems by reading all the post's optima isnt really the best battery out there.Im gonna have to switch up i need a secondary battery but by the above troubles mentioned i dont think optima is gonna be me option.That unless philo gives me a good deal on one.

The Optima is still a good battery, but it's not perfect. Any competing AGM battery costs much more than an Optima, so it's still a great back for the buck. An Odyssey Group 65 costs around $270 and others are comparable in price.

What is the best option other than optima? And is there one that is the same size to fit in my optima tray?

No other battery out there will wit in an Optima specific tray. Other brands that compete in the AGM market are: Odyssey, XS Power, Lifeline, Sears Diehard Platinum (Re badged Odyssey), and Deka.

Don't discount flooded batteries. A well known stock full from Parker runs two Ford Motorcraft Group 65s in the bed. Those are made by JCI (Johnson Controls) btw.

OptimaJim

RDC Crypto
partybarge_pilot, the 10-amp charging rate is for stand-alone battery chargers. Vehicle charging systems should have proper regulation. Gary, your concerns about the alternator sense wire are well-founded. When I showed this thread to one of our engineers, he told me he had just spent some time on the phone with an engineer at one of the Big 3 automakers, who was dealing with a similar issue in one of their pre-production vehicles.

drivehard, Interstate never owned Optima and JCI owns less than 50% of Interstate.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Tech Tim

RDC Crypto
However, every battery has a finite life cycle and will experience diminished capacity and lifespan with age and use.

And obviously that finite life cycle also applies to batteries that have very little use......

I strongly believe that many of the recent Optima failures are related to poor and inadequate wiring practices as in the case of the vehicle described above.

ProFOR, you obviously have some good knowledge base when it comes to electrical systems, but if you believe that those of use who have had great luck with Optimas for years and all our problems are now because of poor and inadequate wiring practices, I have to ask what you are getting at?

Did we loose our wiring skills over the last couple years and are only having problems now because we got sloppy and/or lazy?

And if that is the case, why can we replace the Optima with an Odyssey and change nothing else at all and the customer has no more problems?

I may not be the wiring genius that you are, but I do have a very good understanding of automotive electrical systems and have wired many off road rigs that get used and abused without any electrical problems.... well at least until the last couple years when getting a good Optima is a crap shoot.

_

RDC Crypto
ProFOR, you obviously have some good knowledge base when it comes to electrical systems, but if you believe that those of use who have had great luck with Optimas for years and all our problems are now because of poor and inadequate wiring practices, I have to ask what you are getting at?

Did we loose our wiring skills over the last couple years and are only having problems now because we got sloppy and/or lazy?

And if that is the case, why can we replace the Optima with an Odyssey and change nothing else at all and the customer has no more problems?

I may not be the wiring genius that you are, but I do have a very good understanding of automotive electrical systems and have wired many off road rigs that get used and abused without any electrical problems.... well at least until the last couple years when getting a good Optima is a crap shoot.

Tim,

The goal of my posts is not to implicate or defend either Optima or any of those posting with issues, but to bring to light some of my personal experiences from over 20yrs of professionally wiring race vehicles for the benefit of others. My experiences include everything from F-1 and Indy-Car to Off-Road and SCCA Club racers. If you feel offended from anything that I have posted, please ignore all further posts from myself. But at the same time that you may have felt offended, I'm sure there are equally as many or more saying; "Wow, I have never considered the effects of the many potential scenarios ProFORMANCE has brought to light."

In my posts I mention more than one root cause which "Will" lead to battery failure if allowed to operate in the manners I mention. And from my experiences, Optima batteries have appeared to be more susceptible to these conditions than other types of batteries, AGM or otherwise. I have even gone so far as to describe in detail the actual failure which occurs within an Optima Battery. "For the benefit of all involved" is why I post this information in an Optima related thread, not to discredit Tim.

You may absorb/consider the information I have provided, or you may ignore it all knowing the methods you practice have absolutely no relevance on the failures you are experiencing. There was never any attempt on my part to discredit your abilities, but you are welcome to interpret my posts in any method you wish.

"Your option"

FYI,
To date, none of my customers who's vehicles I have wired in full have experienced a single premature Optima failure. Food for thought........!!!

Last edited:

Tech Tim

RDC Crypto
ProFRO,

You didn't offend me, it's the internet, attitudes on it cannot be taken too seriously.

I enjoyed your posts and am always trying to learn more and at my "option" do sift through all tech; adopting some and discarding some. Unfortunately this is the internet and some would read your post and believe that everything is good with Optima and all problems are installer related and that is simply not the fact.

I too had a flawless record with optima installations; that is until a few years ago. So one of two things happened, either Optima made changes that effected the quality of the product or I got lazy, stupid, sloppy insert whatever word you want to use (go ahead, it won't offend me)..... I have no problem admitting a mistake, but to go from no Optima failures to a number of them, it is hard to believe that every one of them is due to me.

It's not just me, from others' posts I would guess the above scenario also applies to PBP, Zaiden, philofab and the others that posted up. They all noted a decline in the quality (or should I say perceived quality problems) of the Optima. So did they also abandon their good work practices or has there been some sort of a change to the quality of the batteries?

Optima Jim, Again thanks for coming on and trying to help, we don't mean to sound too harsh, as you can see most of us have been big fans of the Optima battery. We're just trying to understand why we are having problems.

Will you be at the SEMA show?

sirhk100

RDC Crypto
Probably a retarded question but I had a red top optima from say about '01-'04 in my exploder till it died on me. Being a cheap bastard I replaced it with a run of the mill name brand average battery. Same average battery that I run in my daily driver car, my jeep, and my toyota prerunner and have never had an issue with them. I keep them strapped down nice and secure so they don't get bounced around excessively and well honestly, I just don't understand the 1st hand advantage of these expensive type batteries. What's the sales pitch for spending the extra cash on these things when I'm completely satisfied with the performance I get from my standard sears of vatozone battery. Only asking cause the battery in my jeep finally died, it's stamped with Feb of 2005 btw and is a standard run of the mill duralast. Why should I not just replace it with the same for cheaper then these batteries? Same with my prerunner toyota, I think I'm on about 4 years on the current battery in there and I just installed a 2nd battery tray a week ago that I want to slap a deep cycle into for running the stereo while sitting around camp or whatever and having the option to kick over to my main and not be dead on the spot. I figure on my drive home I can flip back to the deep cycle and let it charge on the drive...

So... Sell me on spending the extra cash when I have no complaints about my current run of the mill standard batteries.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
So, the parallel charging did not resurrect My new Optima. Since Costco no longer carries them am I just SOL on any type of warranty?

OptimaJim

RDC Crypto
Tech Tim, I will be at SEMA all week. Our booth is #22755 in the Center Hall, and from what I've been told, we'll be next to Source Interlink. I know I've said it before, but I do appreciate everyone's participation in this thread and I do forward these conversations internally for further review and discussion, so everyone's feedback is valued.

sirhk100, I'm not a sales guy, so I'm probably not the best person to sell you on our products. AGM batteries (including ours) are designed to last longer and be more resistant to vibration than flooded batteries, but that comes at an additional price. Ultimately, you have to decide whether the extra expense up front is worth it for you in the long run.

movindirt, I'm not aware of any specific changes in raw material suppliers for our products and we do have extensive quality assurance checks throughout our production process. partybarge_pilot, please PM me with your contact information and the location of the Costco, so I can assist you further.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Zambo

RDC Crypto
So starting my truck after putting in a new engine. Had some leaks and such that required me to crank it quite a bit and eventually my red top started going dead. I hooked it to a charger for a couple of hours and then got about one or two cranks out of it, so I hooked it to a charger for another couple hours and then it started making a chirping/hissing noise, which I'm guessing means its toast. Wonderful. Running out of room for these things in the garage.

mexracer10

RDC Crypto
Yup any charge could result in out gassing happened to two of our optimas, and yes now they are in the to be recycled pile at the shop.

Cast-eezy

RDC Crypto
I'm on the fence with Optima as well. I've used nothing but Optima's in the past, and I need to replace the battery in my girlfriends Subaru, but theKragen ~ Oreilly Customer Service stated that Optima was just recently bought out and are now being manufactured in Mexico. Any truth to this?

Where do they sell Duralast Batteries?

philofab