Optima versus Odyssey batteries

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
I'm seeing where Optima had a serious QC problem after relocating production back in the past. Lots of returns and unhappy customers. Has Odyssey become a better choice? I've already got twin oval-style Optima battery trays and I'd rather just get new Optimas and not have to cut out & replace them than start all over with new trays. Any opinions on the current quality of Optimas?

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
Looked again, I guess it WILL fit either battery shape; not just Optima. But I'm still finding several Offroad forums with unhappy Optima customers.

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_113844.jpg
    IMG_20201230_113844.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36

Slippery P

RDC Crypto
They have both gone down hill. Total power is the answer we found.

cjohnson

RDC Crypto
I'm seeing where Optima had a serious QC problem after relocating production back in the past. Lots of returns and unhappy customers. Has Odyssey become a better choice? I've already got twin oval-style Optima battery trays and I'd rather just get new Optimas and not have to cut out & replace them than start all over with new trays. Any opinions on the current quality of Optimas?
I would say Odyssey is not a better choice. I had seen this same thing about the quality of Optima batteries so I ordered an Odyssey battery for my truck a couple years ago. It went bad a few months later. Odyssey dealer support is basically nonexistent so I gave up trying to return it. I then went with an Optima from one of the chain auto parts stores. No issues so far. If the Optima goes bad at least I can get it replaced.

HartLessPerf

RDC Crypto
2015-2017 I watched over half a dozen Optima batteries die within 6 months of purchase. I've got 4x Odyssey Extreme series batteries (2 from 2016, 2 from 2018) that have lived in and out of big tire and Ultra4 race cars/chase trucks/diesel tow pigs that operate at -50C without being plugged in, and never had a hitch. Same with the couple other Odyssey's my friends own. Out of the 2 choices, Odyssey would absolutely be my choice from my experiences. I can't comment on Total Power or similar brands as I've never used them.

PaulW

RDC Crypto
Even with Optima seeming to overcome their QC issues (unverified) their technical performance does lag compared to Odyssey per the latest Consumer Reports tests. Of course the results vary by battery group, but the pattern is consistent for all groups. Choices for AGM batteries these days are wide and there are better choices than either of them these days. Time and technology continues. Choose your group and do your homework. If you find independent testing besides Consumers let us all know. Right now I have 3 Odyssey's group 65's in use.
One thing I have found out is late model Ford batteries need a big upgrade for improved reliability - too small for all the electrical stuff Ford includes. Fortunately the F150 battery box will accommodate the big ass group 27 or 31.