Options for my bladder

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
Let's talk, in 2012 while pre-running for the for the first time I found out my bladder gets filled quickly and I have to urinate on average every 45 minutes, not a little but a LOT. Trying to stay hydrated, while refilling my bladder is quite the balancing act. I would rather pee like a racehorse, than become dehydrated because I don't want to keep urinating. My problem is for both the 250 and 500 this year I had a major malfunction with my catheter because of getting in and out of the car for various reasons. I even wore a diaper for the 500 for double protection Needless to say I crossed the finish line in both races with my racing suit and car seat completely soaked in my own urine. Yes it was disgusting, takes away from the thrill of finishing any Baja race. With the 1000 right around the corner, I am open to ANY and All suggestions (we are all adults here), just the thought of having to cross my fingers and hope for the best isn't a viable solution for me. I have tried several different catheters, different techniques to secure it. Haven't found one that I can install with confidence.

So guys, does anyone else struggle with this problem? What works for you? PLEASE don't give me a suggestion that YOU haven't tried yourself. Has anyone tried using a foley type catheter? Any meds out there that can help?

Thanks in advance, good luck, be safe, see you at the finish line

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I certainly would NOT want to use an internal catheter in a race environment in the dirty desert for health and pain reasons...

200MPHTape

Reaction
It's not healthy to hold it for long periods of time, at my age I would never race without a some sort of piss tube. PCI and some of the others sell them, I would test ride a few brands and figure out what works best for you.

TRAVISD

Reaction
A dark colored driver suit and hope for the best.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Male External Racing Catheter Kit

Get e few of these. Dont wait till race day to try it. You need to get in a race seat and practis moving and peeing.. Also peeing yourself is not bad it dries really fast. Better drink a lot of water and be hydrated.

Speedster

Reaction
External caths are the greatest thing since sliced bread! You should not have a problem with them. However, like anything we expect MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE out of, a certain amount of prep needs to go into this part of your race program as well.

Some things I have figured out over the years (some of these may sound a little crude, but that is not my intent, I'm just trying to help):
  1. Many race day vendors only sell one size. This is not a time to be too proud... You can easily search & download a sizing chart online, here is one: https://www.stadiumpal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/dm_male_measurement_guide.pdf It is imperative to have the right size for you. There are 5 common sizes. If you are a larger guy, this will also help with comfort and prevent a too small cath from gradually squeezing its way off. If you are a smaller guy, well, lets just say the fit needs to be right for these things to stay on.
  2. I'm not sure why, but these clear ones have a glue that is like 10x the strength and staying power of the same brand (but latex?) ones that PCI sells. And I'm not exaggerating, much. I have a love/hate relationship with them, because they don't come off or leak during the race, but are a real pain to get off, even soaking in a long shower (Hint, lots of soap & water and maybe a little pee pressure helps). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTBSX56/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  3. If you have a hairy shaft, shave it. Makes them seal and stay on better, and makes removal much less painful.
  4. Wear boxers that are loose in the leg on race day. snug briefs will cause the pee tube to kink, building pressure and blowing off or cause the cath to leak.
  5. Put the cath on an hour or so before the race, giving the glue time to set.
  6. Try to get firm before putting it on... Not semi-erect, but not "the water is cold" shrinkage either.
  7. Your head should be in the contoured part. The hard plastic tube adapter should be situated to take up all the small diameter straight part / tip (usually you will have to scrunch up or overlap onto itself the tip of the cath to allow sufficient room on the hard plastic for the pee tube). The small bulb between the contoured part and the small diameter straight part of the cath is the "flex zone" that unlike the small diameter straight part, can bend without shutting off flow. This is critical. Any movement or position of the pee tube should cause this part to bend, which will not shut off flow, AS LONG AS the small diameter straight part is completely used up over the hard plastic pee tube adapter.
  8. Route the pee tube down whichever leg you naturally "hang" towards.
  9. In a sitting position with the pee tube routed inside your firesuit and along your inseam, make 1 wrap of duct tape securing it to the ankle of your boot / shoe. Trim it off even with the sole of your boot / shoe-- no extra length! A little pee on the bottom of your shoe is better than standing on it or catching it on something and inadvertently pulling it off.
  10. When buckling into the racecar, take a moment to ensure the routing of the pee tube is still along the inseam, not under your leg, pinched beneath a belt, etc.
  11. Make sure to take a little pee in staging while buckled in, just to make sure everything is free-flowing and no kinks. Start out slow with that first pee, don't build too much pressure! Adjust pee tube as necessary for this first pee! Once the first pee is successfully out of the way, it will work better and be much easier for all future pees :)
So there you have it. I know it seems like I've made a mountain out of a mole hill, but I'm confident with these tips you should have no more issues with your external catheter failing.
I'm sure I'll be the brunt of some jokes now, but I don't care because having a dry seat at the end of the 1000 is so worth it! Good luck at the race!

offroadracer516

Reaction
I don't see how you guys wear these things. Tried the PCI one at caliente and few years ago and took it off before I even got in the car lol. Idk I like to be comfortable. Would rather piss the seat then deal with one of those all day.

randy s

Reaction
sounds more like you need a urologist. .i'm serious..

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I'm sure I'll be the brunt of some jokes now, but I don't care because having a dry seat at the end of the 1000 is so worth it!
This may be the greatest post RDC has seen in YEARS.

Byron I may be stealing this and keeping copies in the race support trailer for my customers.:) (seriously though, I might.)

Speedster

Reaction
This may be the greatest post RDC has seen in YEARS.

Byron I may be stealing this and keeping copies in the race support trailer for my customers.:) (seriously though, I might.)
Go ahead! Print it out and put a copy in each kit. People need to know, before they go! lol

Journee

Reaction
Imagine being a girl!

Ya there are "options" but I refuse to put glue on, near, or around my kitty! HAHA

I'd rather just let it go... ha ain't no shame in my game. I'll pee my suit with the best of um.

Chainguide

Reaction
I am 61 years old and am doing a 5 hour section on a bike, so I'll be wearing a pee tube just in case. I tried it out at the 500 last year and it worked like a champ!

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Byron, from now on, I will refer to you as a uninologist - a peeology expert. Really. Nice post! Can I get the talent at Paris de Noche to "shave the shaft" for twenty bucks?

CONDOR COACH RV Baja1000.jpg

Zambo

Reaction
Urine isn't that nasty, hell Bear Grylls drinks the stuff (I know another guy who has drank some before but I'm not saying who it is). It doesn't have any more bacteria or other cooties in it than what's already on your body. If you've been hydrating it should be coming out clear and basically harmless. If you can't get a catheter to work according to the above instructions, just go in the suit and don't worry about it. The biggest issue you might have at the 1000 is getting cold from being wet.

retroblazer

Reaction
Speedster Wow. I had good luck with the pci offering, but I had mine come off once when I was out of the car at night in the cold. It’s a bummer to stand around freezing after the warm pee turns cold in your fire suit. I highly recommend them even if there is a chance it chafes the top of your knob.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

swiftracing5

Reaction
I’m by no means a doctor but that sounds like your body is getting rid of more water than it is taking on. Start drinking more electrolytes now, as in today, and try to taper off the fluids the morning of and during the race. There were a couple threads about it before these last couple heat wave Baja 500s. If you take on too much water your body starts to get rid of it instead. Just my opinion. I won’t get in a Baja race without my pci pee tube though.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
External caths are the greatest thing since sliced bread! You should not have a problem with them. However, like anything we expect MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE out of, a certain amount of prep needs to go into this part of your race program as well.

Some things I have figured out over the years (some of these may sound a little crude, but that is not my intent, I'm just trying to help):
  1. Many race day vendors only sell one size. This is not a time to be too proud... You can easily search & download a sizing chart online, here is one: https://www.stadiumpal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/dm_male_measurement_guide.pdf It is imperative to have the right size for you. There are 5 common sizes. If you are a larger guy, this will also help with comfort and prevent a too small cath from gradually squeezing its way off. If you are a smaller guy, well, lets just say the fit needs to be right for these things to stay on.
  2. I'm not sure why, but these clear ones have a glue that is like 10x the strength and staying power of the same brand (but latex?) ones that PCI sells. And I'm not exaggerating, much. I have a love/hate relationship with them, because they don't come off or leak during the race, but are a real pain to get off, even soaking in a long shower (Hint, lots of soap & water and maybe a little pee pressure helps). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTBSX56/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  3. If you have a hairy shaft, shave it. Makes them seal and stay on better, and makes removal much less painful.
  4. Wear boxers that are loose in the leg on race day. snug briefs will cause the pee tube to kink, building pressure and blowing off or cause the cath to leak.
  5. Put the cath on an hour or so before the race, giving the glue time to set.
  6. Try to get firm before putting it on... Not semi-erect, but not "the water is cold" shrinkage either.
  7. Your head should be in the contoured part. The hard plastic tube adapter should be situated to take up all the small diameter straight part / tip (usually you will have to scrunch up or overlap onto itself the tip of the cath to allow sufficient room on the hard plastic for the pee tube). The small bulb between the contoured part and the small diameter straight part of the cath is the "flex zone" that unlike the small diameter straight part, can bend without shutting off flow. This is critical. Any movement or position of the pee tube should cause this part to bend, which will not shut off flow, AS LONG AS the small diameter straight part is completely used up over the hard plastic pee tube adapter.
  8. Route the pee tube down whichever leg you naturally "hang" towards.
  9. In a sitting position with the pee tube routed inside your firesuit and along your inseam, make 1 wrap of duct tape securing it to the ankle of your boot / shoe. Trim it off even with the sole of your boot / shoe-- no extra length! A little pee on the bottom of your shoe is better than standing on it or catching it on something and inadvertently pulling it off.
  10. When buckling into the racecar, take a moment to ensure the routing of the pee tube is still along the inseam, not under your leg, pinched beneath a belt, etc.
  11. Make sure to take a little pee in staging while buckled in, just to make sure everything is free-flowing and no kinks. Start out slow with that first pee, don't build too much pressure! Adjust pee tube as necessary for this first pee! Once the first pee is successfully out of the way, it will work better and be much easier for all future pees :)
So there you have it. I know it seems like I've made a mountain out of a mole hill, but I'm confident with these tips you should have no more issues with your external catheter failing.
I'm sure I'll be the brunt of some jokes now, but I don't care because having a dry seat at the end of the 1000 is so worth it! Good luck at the race!
Thanks for the details