organized confusion

BradM

Reaction
I just received a CD in the mail which contains the complete Proposed Northern & Eastern Colorado Desert Coordinated Management Plan (an amendment to the California Desert Conservation Area Plan 1980 and Sikes Act Plan with the California Department of Fish and Game) and Final Environmental Impact Statement. The CD contains the full document in PDF format (1000 pages). I don't have time to read it all but I did scan through the section on motorized vehicle access. I have pasted a section of the plan below to share it with anyone interested.

At first glance, I read it as there would be no more Parker 400. After reading further into it, it sounds like the route may change and there would be many restrictions contingent to the issuance of permits. Read it for yourself. If anyone wants a full copy of it, send me a PM.

<font color=yellow>Objective b--Provide for Competitive Off-Highway Vehicle Events

Action
The section entitled “Organized Competitive Vehicle Events” in the Recreation Element of the CDCA Plan would be amended as follows:

• The Parker 400 competitive recreation route (corridor) would be eliminated.

• Competitive events in the Johnson Valley to Parker route would be permitted in accordance with requirements set forth in the CDCA Plan (see Section 3.8.4) and stipulations from the 1980 Environmental Impact Statement (see Appendix K) except for the following changes and additional requirements (some elements listed below provide clarification of existing requirements):

• The Johnson Valley to Parker route would be available for casual recreation use except on days when competitive events are conducted.

• The Johnson Valley to Parker route would be designated “open” except where cross-country travel within the Johnson Valley to Parker corridor is permitted.6

• The maximum number of participants in any one event would be 500.

• Participation would be limited to motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).

• The start area must be located sufficiently within and distant from the boundary of the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area to allow the field of participants to narrow (given the differing speeds of the various contestants) such that the event could continue within the confines of the established race corridor outside the “open area.”7

• The maximum width of the race corridor outside the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area would be 200 feet.8

• Where the Johnson Valley to Parker route establishes the boundary of a DWMA or WHMA, or the boundary of a wilderness area is less than 100 feet from the centerline of the designated route, the race corridor would not extend beyond the route’s edge on that side, nor would it extend farther than 100 feet from the centerline of the route opposite these special areas. Identification of other sensitive areas (e.g., those containing significant cultural resources) may locally restrict corridor width to protect resource values.

• Pits would be limited to locations identified in the NECO Plan. All pit activities, including parking of service vehicles, would be restricted to the designated pit areas. Only race participants, support crews, and race officials would be allowed in pit areas; spectators would be prohibited in the pits.

• Participants may officially finish at any pit area.

• Access by race officials for delineating the route, monitoring events, and conducting post-event actions would be limited to the established corridor and other routes of travel normally available to the casual user.

• Before a competitive off-highway vehicle event in the Johnson Valley to Parker corridor would be authorized, an event-specific environmental assessment would be completed. It can be assumed the BLM would issue a permit absent a change in the circumstances which led to establishment of the corridor. The purpose of the EA is to determine if changes have occurred. The BLM may deny a permit for a race in the corridor if there is reason to believe that changes have, in fact, occurred and a competitive off-highway vehicle event would result in substantial impacts to resource values that cannot be avoided or mitigated.

• Competitive motorized-vehicle events in which speed is the primary competitive factor would be prohibited except on approved competitive recreation routes (e.g., Johnson Valley to Parker route) and within Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Areas.

Footnotes:

Cross-country portions of the Johnson Valley to Parker route--sections where no established route exists--will not be available to the casual user. Only race participants and race officials may use cross-country portions of the race route when a competitive event is approved; race officials may also use these portions of the route for purposes related to administration of the event. The Johnson Valley to Parker route designated “open” refers to the established route available for casual use; lands adjacent to the established route and within the race corridor are not available for casual use except for the purposes of stopping, parking, and vehicle camping unless such uses are otherwise restricted.

7 Depending on the number of participants, two or more starting waves may be necessary to meet this requirement.

8 Where an existing route establishes the alignment of the race corridor, the boundaries of the corridor would be no more than 100 feet from the centerline of the route.
</font color=yellow>

JCA

Reaction
you and Paige like to use that yellow. I cant read it. I have to highlight the whole thing so it shows in blue. Does anyone else have that problem?

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Rodney

Reaction
Did you catch the part that says " participation will be limited to motorcycles and atvs" ?? sounds like the 400 is history.

Winning IS everything

Paige

Reaction
The Parker 400 is eliminated - that race course will be closed...The rest refers to the Johnson- Parker Race that is for motorcyles and ATV's only - that route they kept open. During the scoping on the NECO plan I told Dick Crowe that I had a problem with them closing the Parket 400 permantely - but he said he had already spoken with SCORE and they no longer hold races in that area - so they figured they could officially close it...I asked about other promoters and he said no one had requested permits in the area in years. I spoke with Sal last year about it too and he said once they made that area into a Desert Tortoise critical habitiat area - it was tougher to hold the races there and he started having trouble w/the blm - he went to laughlin soon after...So that is the story...Parker 400 and Johnson-Parker are different races.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

BradM

Reaction
Paige,

Maybe I didn't read everything that close, can you clarify something? Is this plan a done deal or is this a proposed plan that we can comment on?

Brad

Paige

Reaction
The final draft is out - but you can submit comments on it for 90 days. I did submit comments regarding that, as did the Desert Advisory Council but they ignored them.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

martininsocal

Reaction
guys- what you need to understand is this is not the end of the Parker 400. What this plan was refering to was the old California loop...the 110 miles that went through rice, Thunder Alley, etc...In the old days, Parker was run in California and Arizona. You started in California and did the 110 mile loop. You then put your race car on a trailer and hauled it across the river to the restart in Az. You had 1 hour to get there and restart. There was tons of traffic and it took most of that hour to get there, so many folks wrenched on cars while driving on the trailer. The restart was at Osborn Wash, the infamous down hill into the wash and some of the most recognizable photos of the past.
Because the California loop was a designated race route with a history, it had to be defined in the plan as a historical route. This plan only refers to the California side of the course which was eliminated I think in the late eighties and the race became a 3 loop race in Az.
What sucks is that I asked specifically about the California loop and was told the route would be left as a useable route by the BLM folks and some from the motorcycle and rock crawling arena. That is obviously not the case as the proposed plan bares out. Certian groups and clubs did whatthey could to protect their pet races and rides in the process and so some others were sold down the river. This is currently going on with the Boxer Bill as some conditions have been met to keep areas open for mountain bikers in exchange for their support for the bill. Divide and conquer! That has always been their way! Now look at what happens when most of the offroading is being phased out incrementally, they are going after jet skis and seadoos along the Colorado River. Divide and Conquer!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Martin, you hit it right on in the center. Divide and conquer, very simple tactic that works very well. I just recived that cd in the mail and have been going over it. Gonna take a few days because there is alot of info on it. The Johnson Valley/Parker corridor SHOULD have been fought over alot more than it was. Not to take any credit away from those that tried though. That is just one more chip off the rock. Propositions are calling for Motorcycles and ATVs only, HAH, those are next. You might as well save the money now. Those are done deals, and the bikes will be gone too. Time is not on our sides on these issues. We cant afford any bad press in the news, period. There is no winner on this issue, just the inevitable has been stalled. Everyone need to step up a little more....Support CORVA etc.....

Speed Safely