ORMHOF Dusty Times Collection

ORMHOF

Reaction
The Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame inherited the Dusty Times archives, chronicling the history of off road, dating back to 1969. ORMHOF Inductee Jean Calvin and her husband John published Dusty Times monthly, until her death in 1997. John carried on with the magazine, until he passed away in 2013.ORMHOF is the keeper of 44 file drawers of photos and documents.
Dusty Times 2.jpg

Right now the file cabinets are in a cargo container, and our first goal is to get them moved to climate controlled storage before the summer heat really ramps up. We'll transfer the files out of the steel file cabinets into file boxes so they will be more portable. We estimate the 44 file drawers will fill 60-some file boxes.
ORMHOF Dusty Times Box.JPG

Here's box number one of 60-something.
IMG_4514.JPG

Most of the files contain contact sheets, each one an 8x10 photo of an entire roll of film's negatives. Every once in a while we get lucky and find a full sized photo. Using a magnifying glass to view each tiny photo, we look at each photo to decide if it is relevant. (The 'X' through the photo on the contact sheet shown above was there, we are not altering any of the original materials.)
Dusty Times Jeep Ramp Truck Baja 500 1969.jpg

After we identify an image, it is scanned at high resolution and enlarged, like this cool shot of ORMHOF Inductee Brian "Mr Jeep" Chuchua's Jeep ramp truck and Jeeps at the 1969 Baja 500. Our goal is to build a searchable database for the Dusty Times archives on the Hall of Fame website, as we can afford to get more images scanned and uploaded. It's a time consuming process!
Watermark Sample#1 (002).jpg

We've also been playing around with different watermarks, and like this one the best so far. What do you think?
Dusty Times Bronco Wreck Baja 500 1969.jpg

Here's where you come in! We know that this group holds the history of off road in their collective memories. We'll be asking for your help to identify photos and share your stories. Until we get the searchable database up and running, we'll be posting albums of photos for your comments over on our Facebook page, Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame. We hope you'll go check it out and add your comments. You can also use the "Sign Up" feature at the top of the Facebook page to sign up for our eNewsletter. Here's a link to our most recent Special Edition featuring the Baja 500: Special Edition: ORMHOF and the Baja 500

Big Hair 500 1972  ColorWatermark (004).jpg

We'll keep this thread updated with our progress as we get this project up and running. If you'd like to help financially, use the Donate button at the top of the home page at www.ormhof.org.

Last edited:

BajaBronco

Reaction
amazing! Love the photo of James Duff resting after his roll! Glad he was okay and went on to make so many Bronco parts over the years.

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
One of my fondest memories in life was simply reading a new issue of Dusty Times with one of those 30 wt tacos from Jack in the Box in hand.

100_8127.JPG

driving-through-cacti-forest.jpg

ORMHOF

Reaction
amazing! Love the photo of James Duff resting after his roll! Glad he was okay and went on to make so many Bronco parts over the years.

Isn't that a great photo? One of our favorites so far, for sure.

ORMHOF

Reaction
One of my fondest memories in life was simply reading a new issue of Dusty Times with one of those 30 wt tacos from Jack in the Box in hand.

View attachment 181835
View attachment 181836

We must be from the same 'vintage' shall we say, when the only thing open in So Cal after midnight was Jack in the Box. There's something about those deep fried tacos, lol. Thanks for sharing your memories!

Reaction
But...PIZZA MAN...He delivered...Til 3 AM!

ACME

Reaction
Awesome! I personally like the Dusty Times watermark to identify the collection...

class 8 ford

Reaction
I STILL HAVE MY ISSUES FROM THE 1980'S TO THE 1990'S. IT WAS FUN TO READ THE LATEST ISSUE AND SEE IF YOU WERE IN IT!!!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Is the ORMHOF going to make this an online database that is search-able?

I am hoping that Jim at trackside photo someday decides to donate all of his pics to the ORMHOF and the HOF scans and makes these pics public domain with a watermark. Eg...if someone want to purchase they can order, sans the watermark but if they are just researching a car, driver or race as we do at the library, they can do so. My 2 pesos!

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
We must be from the same 'vintage' shall we say, when the only thing open in So Cal after midnight was Jack in the Box. There's something about those deep fried tacos, lol. Thanks for sharing your memories!

And, no nutritional value whatsoever!!

ORMHOF

Reaction
Is the ORMHOF going to make this an online database that is search-able?

I am hoping that Jim at trackside photo someday decides to donate all of his pics to the ORMHOF and the HOF scans and makes these pics public domain with a watermark. Eg...if someone want to purchase they can order, sans the watermark but if they are just researching a car, driver or race as we do at the library, they can do so. My 2 pesos!
Yes, the ORMHOF Dusty TImes Collection database will be searchable. And Jim is hard at work digitizing his collection as well. Jim was inducted into the Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2016.

ORMHOF

Reaction
IMG_5840 (2).jpg

Update on the ORMHOF Dusty Times Collection....The move has begun!
IMG_5821 (1024x731).jpg

Thanks to ORMHOF volunteer Tom Heyl for his help with this project. Tom received the ORMHOF volunteer award in 2016, and deservedly so.
IMG_5862 (2).jpg

It was hard not to open every file folder and look at all of the pictures, but we did take a peek in a few.
IMG_5825 (1024x768).jpg

Walker.
IMG_5826 (1024x768).jpg

Ivan.
IMG_5829 (1024x768) (2).jpg

We love this one. Who is it?
IMG_5861 (1024x768).jpg

Lots of motorcycle pictures too.
IMG_5854 (1024x769).jpg

And Rally.

IMG_5830 (1024x778).jpg

It was fun to come across this vintage picture of Rod Hall...
IMG_5832 (1024x681).jpg

And share it with the man himself!
IMG_5874 (767x1024).jpg

Back to the dirty work...the first load of boxes heads inside, to climate controlled storage.
IMG_5881 (768x1024).jpg

The second load of boxes. Phew.
IMG_5886 (1024x768).jpg

And that's a wrap, for moving day number one. We're going to put the boxes up on pallets and cover them with tarps, just in case.
IMG_5839 (768x1024).jpg

Day one, sixteen file drawers transferred to 31 file boxes. 28 drawers to go! We estimate 85 boxes when all is said and done, not counting the boxes of back issues of the magazine.
IMG_5848 (701x1024).jpg

This file cabinet has some pretty cool steeeekers on it, so we're going to make it into something fun for the silent auction at the 2017 Induction & Awards Ceremony. The ORMHOF Class of 2017 will be announced on July 11, and the Ceremony is October 30 in Las Vegas, at the start of SEMA week. More photos from day one of the ORMHOF Dusty Times Collection move, visit our Facebook page, Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame. and thanks to everyone who has donated to this project. If you'd like to help, use the Donate button at the top of the home page at www.ormhof.org. Thanks!

ORMHOF

Reaction
James Duff relayed this story to us:

James Duff and Jim Griffin racing in 1969 at the Baja 500

Griffin drove the first leg on pavement. Not sure how the Bronco lost control but around 80mph they went into a barrel roll catching the drivers front and passenger rear flipping 2.5 times then skidding on its top 150 feet before coming to a stop.

Both walked away with only a few scrapes on Duffy's left knuckle from holding the door bar while flipping over.

Thankfully James Duff himself built the roll cage or none of us would be here to reminisce about such an incredible memory.

Jim Griffin set out to get the truck and trailer after they up righted the Bronco which left Mr. Duff to ward off thieves and vandals. This is why he was photographed laying over the hood.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
The rear Engined Jeep with the "Army" logo was Glenn Emery. Such a cool collection, I need the keys to that storage unit so I can check all that stuff out!

ORMHOF

Reaction
The rear Engined Jeep with the "Army" logo was Glenn Emery. Such a cool collection, I need the keys to that storage unit so I can check all that stuff out!
It would be fun to have 'visiting hours' for people to come look at the collection and share their stories! Thanks for the information on Glenn.