ORW saves the day in San Diego

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
Baja 1000 Racer Saves Flooded Cars

NBC 7 SD ORW.PNG

Tuesday’s heavy rains brought flooding, and Kearny Mesa experienced some of the worst of it.

Drivers on Balboa Avenue between Mercury and Convoy were caught off guard when water levels rose to three feet in just minutes.
Employees at the nearby Off Road Warehouse saw the helpless stranded drivers including Bree Wrinkler.
“Everyone kept going through it so I thought ‘okay let’s try it hold on!’” Wrinkler explained. “Half way through my car just died and I just had to wait for somebody to come push it out.” Wrinkler said within minutes the whole street was flooded.
Although several Off Road Warehouse employees were around, they all knew exactly who would get behind one of their four-wheel drive jeeps to save the day.
“I saw people in danger. We might as well help them out, take them out of the way,” Off Road Warehouse employee Elias Hanna told NBC 7.
But Hanna doesn’t just work for the ORD, he is also a champion racing driver.
He is a multiple Baja 1000 champion used to driving through difficult conditions and terrain.
Hanna got behind the wheel and, one by one, pushed stalled cars out of the dangerous flood waters.
Nearly a hundred people came out of nearby businesses to watch and cheer Elias and his co-workers on.
“We have friends all over the street, so they were cheering for us hoping each vehicle would pull out,” Hanna said. “We’ve never seen Balboa Avenue like we did today.”
After a full day of rescuing Hanna had a little advice for drivers.
“If you see a big lagoon, if you don’t have a four-wheel drive vehicle just don’t go through it – or we come out and save you.”