Outfitting XR650R

treypal

Reaction
I recently purchased an 06 XR650R and would like to eventually get into desert racing, or at least desert riding. I know there are some things I need to prep the bike, but I also know there are things that I need that I dont know about.

So far I have

desert tank: IMS?
Hand Guards: ?
Uncorking: Done

What am I missing?

Thanks

motoman29

Reaction
Skidplate

Cycra Handguards

UHD Tubes with Slime

Mohard Racing Rad Guards

Scotts or GPR

Precision Concepts Suspension

Baja Designs Lighting

(learn how to change countershaft seal and carry a spare)

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
What is the Scotts or GPR
What is the best skidplate?
A steering damper. (or is it dampener?:eek:)

Works Connection makes some good skid plates. But there are a few companies that make some with a little more protection for the motor.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
A Steering Stabalizer will keep the front end and handle bars from getting ripped out of your hand at speed or in rocks/sand. The BRP is one bike I would never ride without one. Rideing with one is like night and day on how the bike handles.

Baja Designs makes a good skid plate. At least the one I've had on there for 8 years has help up nicely.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I have heard mixed reviews on the GPR, but so far I LOVEEEEE my Scotts! Comes in handy when flying through a wash with rocks that you cant see:eek:

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Skidplate

Cycra Handguards
A lot of good items mentioned in that post, I personally have Acerbis handguards and they have done the trick but the new Billet Cycra's are pretty effin' awesome!! I want those next:)

Baja D "Diego"

Reaction
Hey Treypal if you ever having any lighting questions for your XR650R feel free to Pm or call me at the shop anytime. Thanks for the plug Troy and TreyP!!

richzajic

Reaction
Presicion Concepts Right foot peg bracket.
The stock one will break, and you may break an ankle.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction

treypal

Reaction
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am planning on bringing the bike to the Texas Off-road Marble Falls 180 in July, but if I don't get it fully decked I may just do the fun run/pre-run. I ordered a right foot peg mod, and hand guards, and I am going to work my way up from there.

Thanks again!

kenaroo

Reaction
Treypal..

PM me your contact info. I have a lot of parts for the XR at the house and can hook you up with set up of the XR.

I'm in lakeway by 620/71.

Most of the trails at the boulder creek /hidden falls ranch is pretty technical single track except for the jeep trails..

If your going to want to ride that bike a lot in the texas hill country.. you need to dual sport it out.. there are some really great dual sports rides out of Llano I can show you or give you gps routes

here in texas all you need is a brake light.. high/low beam (with high beam indicator) and a horn. easy to DYI instead of paying 350 for a kit.

Plus.. the place to ride that bike is in west texas by big bend. we host a ride out there every year.

treypal

Reaction
Treypal..

PM me your contact info. I have a lot of parts for the XR at the house and can hook you up with set up of the XR.

I'm in lakeway by 620/71.

Most of the trails at the boulder creek /hidden falls ranch is pretty technical single track except for the jeep trails..

If your going to want to ride that bike a lot in the texas hill country.. you need to dual sport it out.. there are some really great dual sports rides out of Llano I can show you or give you gps routes

here in texas all you need is a brake light.. high/low beam (with high beam indicator) and a horn. easy to DYI instead of paying 350 for a kit.

Plus.. the place to ride that bike is in west texas by big bend. we host a ride out there every year.
I plan on mostly riding in South Texas, flat fields and senderos but I am sure I will end up in the hill country too, my stepdad has a KLR 650 that I can snake from him for dual sport rides, so gps routes would be cool.