Jammminjay

Reaction
At Race Dezert, we thrive in covering all things desert racing; this is how we started and will continue to do so. Although at our core we are also off-road enthusiasts, we love all things adventure and off-road. This includes the recent booming segment of off-roading known as Overlanding, otherwise known as vehicle-based adventure. So, after a two-day off-road trip through the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, we made our way to the Overland Expo Mountain West in Loveland, Co. We thought why not check out some of the unique things Overland Expo has to offer.

OVERLANDEXPO_JSTILGEBOUER-4832-scaled.jpg

We descend upon Overland Expo Mountain West for their first-ever event in Colorado; this makes the first stop of the yearly three events in the U.S. The excitement kicked off the weekend with the gathering of over 280 vendors in the industry with thousands of visitors who attended. Unfortunately, we were...

Continue reading...

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Looks like a lot of cool stuff there. Need to check out one of these shows in person.
I do wonder why the Toyota owners like those dorkel things. Certainly it can not be for dust since desert racing has 1000x more dust to deal with than any overland rig will ever see, and they are not used there. Nor can it be for water as you would have many other issues driving through 5 feet of water than just water in the intake. I guess it's a style thing? Or a place to dry out your underwear while camping?

paranoid56

Reaction
Looks like a lot of cool stuff there. Need to check out one of these shows in person.
I do wonder why the Toyota owners like those dorkel things. Certainly it can not be for dust since desert racing has 1000x more dust to deal with than any overland rig will ever see, and they are not used there. Nor can it be for water as you would have many other issues driving through 5 feet of water than just water in the intake. I guess it's a style thing? Or a place to dry out your underwear while camping?
as a guy with a snorkel on his taco lol few things, have had them on every toyota i have from the 80s. highest i have been is water up half the windshield making the crossing in pismo many years ago. new taco has it because it gives me cool air and looks cool lol. i have only gone up to my hood in water so the stock one would probably have worked fine, but its nice knowing at least i wont hydro lock the engine. might fry some electronics, but lol

paranoid56

Reaction
i mean, i go overlanding/camping a lot in mine. gets covered in mud then i wash it. so its clean lol. i am sure 90% of overlanding jeeps never hit dirt, but its a jeep thing lol

AZ7000'

Reaction
That ding Dong show comes to flagstaff in a few weeks. The hotel parking lots will be full of those shiny money pits and sold out. They need to drop porta John’s all over the country park, hard to poop in a roof top tent.
My favorite is what good are sand boards and rotopax if they can’t be seen, Mount them boldly so the uv light can break ‘em down, no, nothing is uv resistant.
Maybe my favorite is really the trash a roo, $60 trash bag full of kale to attack attract I animals right too my back door!!!

AZ7000'

Reaction
Full disclosure, I have a rig w a factory dorkel and I added 2 “racks”
5E00CBF2-EE79-463E-BA96-EE1956926FC6.jpeg

paranoid56

Reaction
I think the snobbery is at any show lol there is always some douchebags and some awesome people. For me, i like going to just see what people are doing, same with offroad expo and sand show.
also when we go to the shows my wife and i have a roof top tent but with a annex part that attaches to it, and you poop in that section lol. toilet lid that sits on a bucket and a wagbag lol

I can say that my tacoma weights 7100lbs lol. the goal of overlanding is to add as much poop as you can lol

landshark

Reaction
Everyone we talked to was very nice and down-to-earth.H
Honestly I have been to two shows a few years ago, both had their share of not so down-to-earth folks and left a bad taste in my mouth as they say, but in all honestly most people out in the camping fields I bumped into were quite nice. There is certainly an insane amount of money into "overlanding" thats for sure, the variety of snorkels has gotten better as well. Maybe I am the snob??? :)

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I've been to two of these shows. Both in flagstaff. The people who run the show are awesome and as a vendor I think they do a great job.

FWIW the customers have all been really nice and quite a few make fun of themselves for "needing" the top of the line baja designs light bar while admitting they will never be going over 30 MPH on an dirt road.

DjXlP78U4AAmFrB.jpg