Overload Leaf

ThriceGuy

Reaction
Im running my stock leaves right now on my Tacoma with 2.0' 10 Foxs..what are some negative side effects on taking out my overload leaf besides decreased hauling capacity.

Dylan

Reaction
axle wrap

“Those of you who think you know so much really annoy those of us who do!”

elcaprerunner

Reaction
I also have a question about this. If I got long travel leafs and did a setup like ThriceGuy did on his truck under the bed, could I put a load spring in and still get as much travel, or at least as much down travel, and would it soak up the bumps as well as it would without a load spring?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

blind655

Reaction
here is the result of taking your overload leaf out. We did this to my buddys toy. He beat on it pretty hard..well look at the pic! On the bright side, it worked real well out in the desert for a stock set of leafs and rancheezies!

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

ntsqd

Reaction
Turn the load leaf upside down.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

blind655

Reaction
yes that would be his truck

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

toyoter91

Reaction
correy did it to his and he even added other leafs in there and still broke his....i wouldnt do it...just buy a new pack man...you will be much more happy with the end result.. =)

-Rob

ntsqd

Reaction
Within the limits of what the stock springs can take it will make the spring more progressive, or rising rate. Ultimately you will end up with something like the pic, but in the mean time it will ride & work better.

TS

Dylan

Reaction
Isn’t the idea of the overload to make it more progressive and give a rising rate? So removing it would return it to linier.

“Those of you who think you know so much really annoy those of us who do!”

DPpatrol

Reaction
how would flipping over the overload spring effect the spring pack? aren't most overload springs flat?

jason

ntsqd

Reaction
No they aren't flat. Typically they have a slight arch. By flipping it over you remove it from acting until the main spring is past flat and into reverse arch. That is very destructive to springs not designed to do it.
So you delay the point in the travel range where the overload starts to have an effect, but give the spring some reinforcement once it's past flat. this additional spring rate is rising, perhaps not as great of a rising rate as if it were 'right side up', but rising none the less.
This should delay the time when it finally does like the pic above. It will not eliminate that from happening though.

TS

drtdevil93

Reaction
not on a toyota, the majority of toyota overloads are negative arch. removing them will make them break faster than they break on their own, which is fast. we put a couple short leafs in to replace it, and it ends up working great and not breaking. we could do this to yours, and it wont cost very much.

erik

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
DEAVER SPRING MANUFACTURING COMPANY
902 E 2ND ST, SANTA ANA, CA 92701
(714) 542-3703

Would adding some leaves instead of the overload required a longer U bolt?

michael_loomis

Reaction
on my Sonoma , my overload spring was completely flat , AND STIFF!! i took it out and replaced it with an ADD A LEAF. its still way to stiff , only now i get lots of axle wrap . it works ok off road but only for short intervals due to the fact that my axle wraps so much , the shock shafts (stock bilsteins) hit the housing and snap. i also hear a howling noise in the rear drivetrain somewhere under acceleration(u-joint or diff. bearing?) i've had my rearend like this for about 2 years now , but there(the springs) beginning to look the part . i also have a set of LT DEAVERS in mind , but i want mine soft!! softer than the softest set you've made yet!! :)