Oxy-Propane Cutting

mcidge

Reaction
What kind of pressures do you use at the regulators for Oxy-Propane cutting. Is there any different tip requirement?
Thanks

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
we did it at my old shop they used a tip that was chrome plated that,s all i know LOL , big 100lb bottle as well actually 2 of them lots of volume

tmathews

Reaction
Use a two piece tip.. For Victor torches it would be a GPN series tip. For Smith it would be a SC50 series tip...

How thick of material are you trying to cut?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
If no one else answers you with pressure setting in the next couple of hours I'll be at the shop and can check the chart for the recommended settings.

tmathews

Reaction
per the Victor tip chart... here is what you should be using / psig settings..

for 1/4" plate you will need a 00 size cutting tip.

Set your Oxy PSIG at 20/25 and your propane at 3/5 psig. Your speed should be 21/25 IPM with Kerf of .05

atomicjoe23

Reaction
IIRC Propane has a higher BTU content than acetylene so it's good for cutting and heating. . .not so good for welding though.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
You can definately save money using propane.

If you're doing a lot of cutting, liquid oxygen is the only way to go. The flame is the same, it's just way more storage/production capacity.

Don't try this at home... but oxy/gasoline also works for cutting. :eek:

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
You can definately save money using propane.

If you're doing a lot of cutting, liquid oxygen is the only way to go. The flame is the same, it's just way more storage/production capacity.

Don't try this at home... but oxy/gasoline also works for cutting. :eek:

we ran liquid oxy with propane at my old shop we cut up to 4" on a regular basis took my boss along time to switch over but once he did he was happy that he did .