Paige In Sac

Donahoe

Reaction
Hey guys my wife Paige is in Sacramento Right now Working on Fighting legislation That is trying to close the desert. She goes up there on her own dime twice a year. Its really getting Bad politically for all of us who love the Open desert. So PLEASE PLEASE Pay attention to the posts in SAVE THE DESERT. There is alot of Power in numbers. Lets use it. Do whatever you can.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
You go Paige!

What can we do to help?

Let me ask again what can all of us do to help?

Paige

Reaction
Thanks Kreg and Jerry,

Well Sacramento was cold and rainy, but overall the lobbying weekend went well. I flew up early to go through some training sessions sponsored by CLORV - then on the day of we had more training where I learned more about certain bills to oppose and support, the ESA, habitat protection etc. We had several guests and guest speakers - which helped give me an overall view of how this machine we call government works and how the game is played - becuase unfrotunately we are playing a game it appears. One of the main topics of discussion was a little cute bird called the Snowy Plover and Oceano (pismo) which is slated for complete closure from the Coastal Commission. The little plover is very unbundant in Salt Lake and Salton Sea just not on the coast, but because they are not abundant on the coast - they want to close it to all access to save the plover, though the little plover is being killed due to a pretatory bird called a Shrike - not OHV - but that is just a technicality apparently.

I can't believe all the crap we have to learn about the ESA, the ESA reform Bill, specific species, what bills impact our right to use the land - air pollution, noise pollution, "take" etc. It's overwhelming - thank GOD some of these people have this crap down and literally have their lives to do this. I visited 11 offices with a team from CORVA. It was a good experience, we got lost in the capital about 6 times so we got to see a lot of it - it's a neat building.

I would like to encourage people to attend with me next year. I hung out with the ASA board most of sunday - so I was able to get some updates on glamis, hung out with CORVA guys at dinner on Sunday - got some updates on RANDS mtn, hung out with Jim Suty from Friends of Oceano - update on the snowy plover and pismo, then we cruised old town for a bit and then everyone was all together on lobbying day - so it was a good recharge for me to know we are not alone and to learn what everyone is going through and how they are coming in their different fights.

All together about 40 people showed up and 11 CORVA members with their jackets - and legislators remember those bright orange jackets - it was pretty cool.

Jerry asked what we can do -- I'm still playing catch up a bit - got get a flyer done for Malibu Dan's next event - however things that you can do -

I realized this weekend that we haven't been directlly attacked in our desert racing areas other then potenitally through the Management plans currently being written that Martin has a better handle on - but I sense its coming and I'm not sure from where or on what grounds. So please keep in mind when CORDR starts asking for money or support - there is a real reason for it and that it will be going for supporting other org, the clean up, educational programs or possibly lawsuits.

The other thing - is be good desert citizens - realize its ours to loose and some people truly do not care - Show them its your desert and that you are personally offended that they are so disrespectful of some place you come to enjoy. Pick up trash, watch for those closures and offer help. Watch for plants and animals and treat the desert better than you do your house.

<font color=yellow>VOTE - Off-roaders have a horrible voting record. </font color=yellow>That simply HAS to CHANGE - I vote absentee every election. Apply for your absentee ballott and make a difference - these legislators cast their votes based on their constituents votes or wishes. California is saddled with very liberal democrats - the conservative demos didn't win the primaries I learned and we have 50 demos and 30 replublicans - it takes 41 to pass a bill - so we need demo suport here in Cali. Also Gov. Davis believe it or not - is a SUPPORTER of OHV. I have been told by CORVA and SDORC that he has done more for the sport than an previous administration - so when you go to the poles in Nov and vote for either Davis or Simon - remember that. But VOTE - CLORV will be putting out a voters guide and I'll post it here - use that to help make a decision and cast a vote for California - for Nv and AZ - we'll have to get ahold of voting guides and make sure they are used for elections there - fortunately - those are not heavily demo states. (And they take every opportunity to remind us calis of that =-) )

Write your local assembly person - include how much money you and your family spend in off-roading and if you have a business that pays taxes and employees people in their assembly or senate district - TELL THEM - fiscal impact is a good tool. www.clorv.org for more info.

Support ~
AB 985 (2001-2002)
Author: Florez
Topic: Fully protected species.
Position: Support
This bill would declare the intent of the Legislature to enact legislation to address the issues of the current statutory provisions governing fully protected species and exploring a prescribed conservation program. Basically it takes 37 fully protected species and places them under the full protection of the ESA.

AB2274 (Keeley & Wyland) that adds additional support to AB723 involving a
code update related to the current stakeholders process. This is regarding the OHVMR stakeholders

Oppose

We are asking for opposition to the S482 (Kuehl) that is another unbalanced enviro
bill that broadens the definition of Take under the Calif. Endangered Species
Act (CESA). This one could really affect us and it is her second try at us.

When Martin or myself post about a BLM meeting - try and attend.

That is all I can think of right now. We need to support an ESA reform bill that is being put together because the ESA is out of control and the extreme environmental community is taking advantage of it. Which is a shame because I think they are doing the true environmental community a huge disservice.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Those of us who hope to own race cars someday(?) appreciate your work to be sure we will have a place to go make noize. BTW, I got a call from Malibu Dan about the May event and accidently erased it. Do you happen to have his # or website?

Paige

Reaction
Hi Tom,

Dan's # is 213-383-4222 ext 494. His website is down for some reason that I don't recall. The event is May 11at the Green on the Hill.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>