Paint Jobs

Jordan

Reaction
Looking for some information regarding good paint shops? Who are you guys that are building race vehicles or prerunners using for paint work? Thanks

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I think most high dollar teams have sponsors who pay for paint, and the low dollar teams have a "buddy" somewhere in the crew who can paint. This is at least what I have seen. I plan on just doing a semi-ceap macco paint job when I finish mine. They can do cool color schemes but usally cost much less then the "good" paint guys. I always just think "it is a desert truck" meaning it'll get all scratched up right away anyways, so spend the big bucks on more important stuff. Steve

RRose

Reaction
I had mine sprayed at the Maaco in Temecula. They did a great job! Then Modern Image did the graphics.... highly recommend them.... You can't go wrong for the price!

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yes, Anaheim Hills Autobody does the Herbst and Robbys stuff, Wally World does Jesse Jones and a lot of buggies paint, Scott@PCI has Dave do his as a side job. I would talk to Cory at South Coast AutoBody, he does some cool custom stuff and normal stuff. He is gonna paint my blazer for me. They are located in Lake Forest.

RRose

Reaction
ya.... I specifically bought a white truck with grey interior.

Ryan B

Reaction
If you have access to a garage all you need to do is get one of those big rolls of painters plasticand some masking tape to make a paint booth. Then go down to home depot and get one of the $35 detail guns and if you can use a spraypaint can then you've got the skill to put down a really nice smooth paint job. the team I pit for did their truck that way and it looks really good. They spent about $150 total. That way you don't have to get pissed-off the first time you drive through some sage brush. Hope this helps somewhat

Crashbig

Reaction
I did the krylon thing and I'm happy with it and it only cost about 50 bucks, I know how to paint the real way, used to for a living, but for the application it wasn't worth the money. Now if I hit a bush or rock I don't have to worry about an expensive paint job getting chipped and I have plenty of touch up paint left over to fix any mishaps.

tedmales

Reaction
yep just use your garage, that way half way through your paint job, your water heater turns on, and poof, no more house. let a professional do it. even the macco guys do a pretty good job for the money. if its gonna get beat up then go the cheap route, but remember you get what you pay for.

Ryan B

Reaction
all you have to do so there's no big kaboom is put in a fan for ventalation and stick a filter over the outside so you don't get crap all over the neighbors cars. I assumed ventalation would be a given when painting. you know what they assumption is the mother of all f ups. lol

Crashbig

Reaction
That and just turn the pilot flame off and the gas to the heater. Then when your done just let things air out a bit before relighting the pilot, and wear a mask, seen to many guys just walk into a booth and start spraying with no protection, ventalation is good but no substitute for a mask, and I don't mean a cheap dust mask, get one with replaceable filters and it will last a long time think their about 15-20 bucks 3-M makes a decent one, good investmant for the lungs.

Tim_Price

Reaction
My brother Noel did a great job on our Lothringer 1600 panels...in his driveway. He strung out some clothes line, hung the panels and shot away with a rig he uses to paint CAT D-11's as part of his job. A few bugs lost their lives, but sticking to one great color and adding bold stickers can look terrific. In the race videos I have no problem seeing the BAJA BROS in white and and black on our $29.00 flame red paint job. I love Wally World's work, he's a true artist, and if I win the lottery that's what I'll have on my Penhall-built trophy tru ck, but when you ain't got the bucks, keep it simple.

www.bajabros.com

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Of course you have to wait if you want Anaheim Hills Auto Body,Wally World ory body else big with race teams.Remember these guys do race teams panels after every race are pretty booked up.

I have yet to deal w/paint as my truck is on stands,Black/silver cab,yellow hood one teal door and grey front white rear fenders.Only the hood is original!But if I didn't have a friend that paints It would probably be Maco at least then you can bitch at someone other than yourself!!!