Paint Protection...

Phillip Moores

Reaction
Anyone ever use a thick adhesive vinyl to protect paint/powder coat? The stuff they use for dirt bike graphics is 19 mil, I am thinking to use it on the leading edges of the trailing arms after powder coat...

_

Reaction
When I was involved in IndyCar racing, we used "Leading Edge" tape on the leading edge of all the suspension, wings/airfoils, body panels, and the nose. The leading edge tape proved to provide significant protection, but by no means was a cure all at 150-250 mph. There are multiple thickness options available along with different adhesive options. Take a look at Aircraft Spruce for limited quantities, they have several options available. Search "Leading Edge Tape". Also, a heat gun works great for applying/forming the tape around small radius bends, and helps prevent the tape from pulling away during and after application.

Phillip Moores

Reaction
When I was involved in IndyCar racing, we used "Leading Edge" tape on the leading edge of all the suspension, wings/airfoils, body panels, and the nose. The leading edge tape proved to provide significant protection, but by no means was a cure all at 150-250 mph. There are multiple thickness options available along with different adhesive options. Take a look at Aircraft Spruce for limited quantities, they have several options available. Search "Leading Edge Tape". Also, a heat gun works great for applying/forming the tape around small radius bends, and helps prevent the tape from pulling away during and after application.
Funny you mention leading edge tape... I am an airplane guy, so I am familiar

jon coleman

Reaction
helicopter tape.goes on blades,for sand - debris protection.friend told me...