Paint Stripper for Metal

bROk

Im looking for a paint stripper for metal. Something that removes paint easily. Ive seen a few different citrus(orange) based products online but now sure on how well they work. Any recomendations?

Also, I read the Rust: thread last night and saw that muratic(sp) acid is good for removing rust. Is that still recomended?

Thanks

A smart-ass is better than a dumb-ass

JPDesertsports

Aircraft Remover. Klean-Strip makes it, part #AR-343. They also make a low odor version which doesn't work nearly as well. That part # is AR-777. These are available at your local paint jobber shop. All and all it's your best bet. The price at my store for a gallon of AR-343 is $25.99 with tax, you might be able to do better, but that's what we sell it for.

JJ

"You're not a bad driver, you just ran out of talent." - Mike Stapleton

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
"Aircraft Remover. Klean-Strip makes it, part #AR-343"

I used it to take off powder coat from some threads and it worked in less then 5 minutes...so I would say it would destroy regular paint fast and easy.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

bROk

Sounds like what Im looking for... Thanks

A smart-ass is better than a dumb-ass

tedmales

just keep it off of you, it doesn't feel nice.

life is too short to be small

SDranger

I'll second that, and be sure to have proper ventalation or you'll end up on the "how much drugs did it take to make this?" thread. lol

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

JPDesertsports

I forgot to mention it, but if you want something to remove clearcoat, and basecoat without harming the primer. Klean-Strip makes an aerosol can called Peeler. Part #FS459, I used it on my bedsides it works great.

JJ

"You're not a bad driver, you just ran out of talent." - Mike Stapleton

UndercoverFab

autozone sells that kleen strip paint remover they are talking about they have the kind in a can (dont know the size but three cans will do a whole truck) they were 7$ each, they also have the kind that comes in a spray can it doesnt work as well and you dont get near as much as you do with the kind you brush apply. oh yeah read the directions to it sound stupid when they say only brush it on in one direction but it makes a big difference in how well it works.

Crayfish

For those that have more money than time there is a place in Santa Ana, CA called Strip Clean that dips your parts into a tank and then puts some kind of neutralizing liquid on it that also prevents rust. I am sure he's not the only one doing this if you don't live close. Their process only works on steel, if there is any non-ferrous metals they have to be removed or the chemicals will eat them.

I have used them in the past for large metal furniture items, a full metal desk was about $200 for all the drawers and everything.

Hope that helps.

Crayfish