Painting over stickers

This old rz

RDC Crypto
Heya, I have a TRD /Stewart pint job Im going to be doing. I have most of the vinyl stickers already.
Im asking for "1st hand knowledge" of people whom have clear coated over the stickers.
Stickers applied on top of paint only seem to last about 1.5 years where I live@ hot desert.
I don't want to go through this process and have a small disaster with lifting etc..
I've painted over motorcycle stickers ,quite a few times. But those stickers were from the 80s & 90s not the crap that vinyl stores seem make now.
I don't want to source or pay for multiple test graphics..if I do t have too, ya know🙄

This will be Dupont Imron painted stripes , over stock Toyota White.

Then a solvent based PPG Clear coating.

NO WATER BASED..materials

Again, any 1st had knowledge is appreciated...

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_162001.jpg
    IMG_20220204_162001.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

johnnyweb

RDC Crypto
Website
johnnyscustomautobody.com
You can clear over stickers. I would do the stripes in base coat color and then clear over everything. I personally have not used Imron in 20+ years actually surprised it’s still available. DuPont has been Axalta for around 7-8 years now but they may still have a “version” of Imron. None the less I would let the paint or clear dry for some weeks before stickering and re clear coating. Preferably re clearing over same clear coat product used on stripes.

Advertising supports this site

This old rz

RDC Crypto
You can clear over stickers. I would do the stripes in base coat color and then clear over everything. I personally have not used Imron in 20+ years actually surprised it’s still available. DuPont has been Axalta for around 7-8 years now but they may still have a “version” of Imron. None the less I would let the paint or clear dry for some weeks before stickering and re clear coating. Preferably re clearing over same clear coat product used on stripes.
Cool, thanks...it's been 25 years since I last painted a vehicle...lol
I'm gonna have to do this on a front porch wrapped in plastic too ...😂
Good thing it's a off-road vehicles..I doesn't have to be perfect..but I carry a good expectation for detail . It always seems to cost me money time and effort..😱🤣

johnnyweb

RDC Crypto
Website
johnnyscustomautobody.com
I’ve been in the auto body collision business for 30 years now. When I started it was in a garage with plastic sheeting and household fans. Lots of color sanding and buffing was required to get are the “popcorn” out of the finish.

If you do your stripes and clear them when you go to sand with 1000 grit and reclear you can get a lot of the dirt nids out prior to your final clear coating over the stickers. This should make for a better final finish.