Painting Rims

CRFmotoRider

Reaction
I am looking to spray my rims black.
What i am wondering is what kind of spray paint i should use. Any special kind that works good? Also, besides cleaning what kind of prep should i do to them??
Thanks

ErikShallbetter

Reaction
Spray paint will look cheap and won't hold up. Save up the 100.00 and get them powdercoated. I did my CRF450 wheels black and they looked great and held up really well.

TauMau

Reaction
Website
www.wisdomracing.com
The steelies on my baja were rattle canned and they look just as good as anything. They're matte though...not gloss.

2137410.jpg

Couldn't tell you what was used as the previous owner did them, but from experience I'd say prep is a key component to a durable, long lasting job.

tool46n2

Reaction
The steelies on my baja were rattle canned and they look just as good as anything. They're matte though...not gloss.

2137410.jpg

Couldn't tell you what was used as the previous owner did them, but from experience I'd say prep is a key component to a durable, long lasting job.

I couldnt agree more. the better you prep the better the outcome. I like the matte look better than gloss, your wheels look awsome.

Papá de Azúcar

Reaction
Rattle canning motorcyle rims will only look good until you go for your first ride in the dirt,
you may as well color them black with a Magic Marker if your going to be that cheap...
:(

Powder coating is the best way, but you could go to a automotive paint store an buy a pint of a catalized or epoxy black industrial paint that can be applied directly to bare metal and borrow a paint gun from someone, it would be better than rattle can... :)

Bellvis

Reaction
Website
www.HummerXClub.com
My H3 came with chrome rims (blah :mad: ) and I immediately painted them black.

I just took off the wheels with the tire still on it, scuffed up the chrome with some sand paper and sprayed about 3 light layers of Rustoleum Hammered Black spray paint. Turned out great. If I scratch any of the rims up, I just repaint them good as new. Took me a few hours to do all 5 rims.

My powder coater wanted $80 a rim to do them. I spent $24 on spray paint and did it in one afternoon.

pesadosDT

Reaction
I just did my Yfz rims. I used wheel paint. You can get it at Pep Boys. This paint is good against fading and chipping or peeling off.

mebuildit

Reaction
I ordered a set of Walker Evans wheels that came polished. They were sent to me in error because I just wanted the plain cast look. Either way I was going to have them powder coated flat black. Since the rings were also polished, I found a clear red powder that I though would look cool. I know that sounds weird but you can see the red but if you look close, you can see the polished ring behind it.

I'm still building the car and found those tires at a garge sale until I decide on which tire to run when it's ready. Didn't want good tires dry rotting while building the car.

Attachments

• DSCN2331.JPG
    DSCN2331.JPG
    658.4 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN2327.JPG
    DSCN2327.JPG
    644.2 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 196

powder1

Reaction
Hey my name is Chris I own a powder coating company called powder 1 in El Cajon dont cheap out and rattle can the wheels you wont be happy give me a call (619) 588-9200 I will help you out and powdercoat your wheels for you for $30.00 a wheel CASH I normally charge $50.00 to $90.00 a wheel depending on the size

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Rattle can is a Jose move. WADR to all Jose's. But its ghetto and doesnt last. I learned along time ago. Do it the right way the first time that way you dont have to do it wrong 5 times.

BCarr

Reaction
This title represents, so why re-invent.

Have 4 factory aluminum rims on which the clear is peeling off. Thinking about somehow stripping the clear off these, and then a) straight-up paint (etch coat then top coat), or b) powder coat.

Kinda dig the original wheels, as it keeps things real. And going this route means the wheels could be body color-matched.

Vehicle is a Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee used as a daily.

Anyways, appreciate any ideas on approach to this, materials to use, our sources who can make ‘em look great again.