• Forum membership has its advantages....

Paris-Dakar

Vtr_Racing

Watched some of the Paris to Dakar race on Speedvision or whatever it is now. How did that Miller guy do? The guy from the US running the Nissan lease truck. Didnt see any coverage of him on there at all.
Also, did anyone else notice this? The bikes those guys were riding, I understand manufatureres wanting to show off their products and that race is a good one if you finish. Those guys looked like they had a handful riding those huge/heavy bikes. Seems to me if someone had a XR or something like that would have been much easier to handle.

Speed Safely

mgobaja

I beleive that Mark Miller finished higher than any of the Toyota Trophy vehicles had ever finished. Somewhere around 19th overall. He did suffer some serious setbacks though : One of his Support vehicles was involved in a deadly accident , taking the life of his crew chief and seriously injuring some of the mechanics.

TimHayosh

Yep, Mark Miller was 19th O/A...amazing.

As for the bikes, I think it was Johnny Campbell on an XR650 last year. He was the highest finishing "Privateer" in the rally.

I would imagine part of the reason those other bikes look so cumbersome, is that they are carrying a whole lot of "stuff". Redundant GPS, extra fuel, heavy clothing, first aid, H2O, etc, etc. Remember, Paris-Dakar is not the only event these guys do. It is their "Baja 1000"; their marquee event. They compete in the FIA Rally-Raid Championship all year long.

Marshall

I watched every stage and there were a bunch of XR650s. The have crazy plastic to hold everything form fuel to food. A set up bike hardly resembles the original. I think they run the big twins for the simple reason that there is no replacement for displacement. Big skills and balls to pin a twin in the dez that is thousands of miles from a real hospital.

Mark_Miller

I just got back from The best in the Desert Laughlin US Hare Scrambles, finished 3rd in 250 pro class, yes that is 2 wheels... but on this Dakar, almost all the KTM's are singles, except meoni and sala, but the rest of the guys are on singles. And those bikes rip, an xr has ZERO chance. Alfie Cox was second overall in bike class on a single. he's a good guy, he's spent some time here a while back doing some Baja races. My race was awesome, 1st in toyota-trophy, with 4 new records for the class, 5th in the diesel category, and 19th overall. If you want to see a little more about it check my website, markmillerracing.com. there is a little recap I did and there is a recap from the organizers of the toyota trophy. The car I drove was a 7s type deal, maybe even less, like 6" of wheel travel, so considering what I was up against....

Vtr_Racing

Wow,thanks for taking the time to post Mark. The guys riding those bikes just seemed like they were having a hard time, understandably with all the xtras needed. I my self raced ATC back when they were legal and than went to quads. Just find it amazing that those big bikes actually make it. Thats alot of bike to manhandle around. Congrats on the great finish....Go USA Marc Choquette Vtr Racing

Speed Safely