• Forum membership has its advantages....

Parker format

rnj3897

Just curious on how people (fans or racers) felt about the new race format of different start times. From a spectators point of view I was not a fan of the new format at first but changed my opinion by the end of the day and liked it. We were camped on Shea Road at RM9 and it was cool to have racing first thing in the morning and well into the night. We typically do not see TT's, 1500's, etc. ripping up the wash at night using their lights so it was cool to see that.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I was a big fan of the format. Both from an operational stand point and from a safety stand point. If there was 2 Casey's then it wold have been much better. I hated that Casey wasn't able to be at the finish line for the drivers of the first race while he was starting the 2nd race. I respect that he starts every racer and tries to be there for the finish of every racer.

The limited cars averaged 20 minutes faster than any previous Parker race and while there were the typical rollovers and break downs, I have heard nothing so far of smaller cars beat up by larger trucks. I am sure there is a lot more data to take in and things will be adjusted.

For the amount of spectators that come to this event it was relatively very very impressive by how people handled themselves. I worked the first jump for the start of the second race. Easily a thousand people there and only 1 thought it would be fine to stand at the base of the jump to get his selfie. Another area that wasnt an organized spectator area, the majority of people were being very respectful and in safe areas. I think we only had to have law enforcement come out a handful of times to assist staff with intoxicated spectators that would not move when asked.

From a staff stand point, it only added about an extra hour in the day overall. That was a big bonus as we were not sure how that would work out.

I really love going to Parker a few times a year. One of the few places as racers that we are embraced with open arms by the majority of the community. My only negative is that we wont be back there til October!

2016 Is going to be pretty amazing!

Mike321

This was the first time I’ve been to Parker, ever. I really liked the race format, but there were inconsistencies in the BITD pit book.

We did a pit for two teams at Midway in race 1 and 2.

1) The pit book stated you needed a red sticker to enter Midway, when we got there the gentleman stated you needed a green sticker. (We happened to have both with us, but it would have sucked to go back to Parker to get the green sticker.)
2) We showed up the night before because you had to get into the pit before 5 AM. Why not get there safely, sleep and get ready for the next day. When we got there, we were told camping wasn’t allowed. The gentleman let us camp anyway (Thank you, sir!)
3) The directions in the BITD pit book to get to Midway pit are very dated. BITD needs to update this in the future. This was the first time we’ve been to this area.
4) We picked up every bit of trash in our area before departing and it looked like most others were doing this as well.

I was previously a fan of long distance point to point races, mainly in Mexico. I really liked the format of this loop race, enjoyed meeting new people and the race itself. Class 10 (forget what that is in BITD) has to have loved the new format.

Midway Tip -- If you climb up the hill across the course from the pit, there’s four bars of cell coverage and data available standing near the survey marker (at least on Verizon). It’s not that hard to find once you walk around a bit.

Why does IRC still use Adobe Flash? Flash does not work on a lot of phones.

Can BITD include a summary of the classes in the pit book. Most of us were scratching our heads of what class 2400 was, etc.

Cell coverage and data available here.
survey.jpg

View of the Midway pit from the top of the hill
pit.jpg

Last edited:

ndvalium

Rescue Director
This was the first time I’ve been to Parker, ever. I really liked the race format, but there were inconsistencies in the BITD pit book.

We did a pit for two teams at Midway in race 1 and 2.

1) The pit book stated you needed a red sticker to enter Midway, when we got there the gentleman stated you needed a green sticker. (We happened to have both with us, but it would have sucked to go back to Parker to get the green sticker.)
2) We showed up the night before because you had to get into the pit before 5 AM. Why not get there safely, sleep and get ready for the next day. When we got there, we were told camping wasn’t allowed. The gentleman let us camp anyway (Thank you, sir!)
3) The directions in the BITD pit book to get to Midway pit are very dated. BITD needs to update this in the future. This was the first time we’ve been to this area.
4) We picked up every bit of trash in our area before departing and it looked like most others were doing this as well.

I was previously a fan of long distance point to point races, mainly in Mexico. I really liked the format of this loop race, enjoyed meeting new people and the race itself. Class 10 (forget what that is in BITD) has to have loved the new format.

Midway Tip -- If you climb up the hill across the course from the pit, there’s four bars of cell coverage and data available standing near the survey marker (at least on Verizon). It’s not that hard to find once you walk around a bit.

Why does IRC still use Adobe Flash? Flash does not work on a lot of phones.

Can BITD include a summary of the classes in the pit book. Most of us were scratching our heads of what class 2400 was, etc.

Yes there was to be no camping out at Midway but glad that worked out ok for you. In years past, they have had the entire pit filled up before the start of the race and it was a nightmare to move and get enough people in there with the limited space - It should have been Green Sticker only for Midway and red for all other pits. It is likely, that since the road was not to be closed until 5am, the person that was unclear about the pit pass color was not the one that was working the land closure.

I will get the pit books updated for next year. Can you tell me specifically what was inaccurate via PM or email [email protected]

Having been to Midway several times I am happy to know about the cell service for Pre Run days. If you ever get the chance to go on the pre run for this race, do it. You will be surprised what your tour guide points out to you along the way.

Lastly, thank you for checking for trash. If you have ever been to a drivers meeting with Casey, this is tops on his pet peeve list. I cleaned from the back of the cemetery to hill after the Fox jump at the start. Less than one small bag of trash. Considering years past, this was a big improvement.

Clive Skilton

Jeepspeeders loved the format. No issues with vehicles of varying speed. No torn up track for 10" of front travel in Class 1700. High avg speed of 1700 winner 42mph. 4th overall in 2 lap race. 90% of our guys were off the race course before the big guns got half way on first lap. WE were close to having to take Parker 425 off our calender due to unsafe conditions of old format. Thank you BITD. Same again next year please.

GHARACING

Prior to the race I was not fond of starting later, just because of pre race nerves and having to wait half the day to get going..

But not having the morning glare when running through the wash was nice! It all worked out and I'm all for the new format, Casey and the crew run a tight ship.

Excellent race. Great job guys.

AG

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Our team in the morning race loved the format. Any time we can do a separate race from the TT and C1 and other big boys we'll take it. I'll be candid though, it was a bummer being the first finisher across the line at our first BITD race and not seeing Casey, but we totally understand. Boooyaaaa. Lookin forward to the MINT!

ht racing

this was my 7th parker 425 and it was strange finishing in the light of day and running on the coarse at times for hrs without another car in sight. not a fan of getting up at 4am to go balls out racing. track was way too smooth and let the leader check out with no dust in front of him in the morning. for me let class 10 race the 2nd race of the day. it was so sweet not stopping at any check points! one of the best things casey has ever done! bitd still did a great job and was a good race just for me not the normal parker 425 feeling.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
^^^ What if 10 got to qualify for morning start position?

B. R C Arrow

I'm a big fan of the 2 race format, it was a lot less stressful not having to worry about getting ran over by a tt or 1500. We got to race our race without mirror driving worried when the big boys where coming. Great job BITD, time to get our I failed spelling together for the Mint!

ht racing

^^^ What if 10 got to qualify for morning start position?
yea that would be way better and even called casey about that but said there was not enough room downtown to put all the cars after the qualifying. they went with last years points leaders on the top cars that raced the entire season for me that was the next best thing. now its supposed to be the top 10 or so are put into a draw for positions for the mint 400. then the rest of the field are in another draw. this will go on for the rest of the season but if you don't do a race you are then dropped into the second draw again on your next race.

John Bitting

Administrator
The new format made for a really long day for us covering it setting up at 5am and tearing down after 1am but I did not talk to one person who did not like it. All of the morning racers were super stoked on it. It seems to have made it a lot safer and racers happy so it was a win win. The grand prix finish is a bit of a bummer for anyone that ran into problems and didn't get to complete all of their laps but I can see why from safety standpoint.

NIKAL

With the new Split race format, I wonder if Casey will consider moving the UTV's to the Parker 425 next year and not race them with the bikes at Parker 250? Still don't get running a 4 wheel vehicle with Bikes and how that is safer?

Kolman

As a second-race pit member, I enjoyed sleeping in a little bit. We broke early so I can't comment on anything other than that!

PAB

40's rock!
I think safer and I applaud Casey for trying to make it safer....comments

I would have stopped traffic officially earlier than they did going out on the last lap of the first race

10 and 7200 are close in speed but I reckon the weight keeps 7200 out of the first group.

B. Everett

I would have stopped traffic officially earlier than they did going out on the last lap of the first race

10 and 7200 are close in speed but I reckon the weight keeps 7200 out of the first group.
It is definitely safer this way. Instead of stopping it earlier why not start the trucks an hour later? Light bars are already on.... great job bitd!!!

Fourstroker

With the new Split race format, I wonder if Casey will consider moving the UTV's to the Parker 425 next year and not race them with the bikes at Parker 250? Still don't get running a 4 wheel vehicle with Bikes and how that is safer?
The UTV's have raced in a 2nd race at the parker 250 since last year. Slow bikes are held at the SF for the start of the UTV race. Really not a lot of interaction between the 2.....except for some fast bikes that had early downtime.

ltr450rider

This thread is way too positive! I don't like it. Where's the whining and complaining that RDC is all about?

Getting up early was totally worth the 2 race format. Good job BITD!

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
It is definitely safer this way. Instead of stopping it earlier why not start the trucks an hour later? Light bars are already on.... great job bitd!!!
They were holding morning race cars at certain pits on their final lap as well to allow the unlimited vehicles to pass before resuming and finishing the race. That time is then credited back to those cars that were held. Didn't seem like too many actually had that happen though. Good idea on paper, wonder what the guys that got held think of it and how many limited cars the fast guys had to pass???

All I know is I'm super pumped for the MINT 400 already!!! BITD is where it's at if you ask me.

ndvalium

Rescue Director

Hey Cameron, where about did you catch the first morning race vehicle? And does anyone know where Robby caught the first one?

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions