Parnelli Jones Returns to Mexican 1000!

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
All,

Just got the attached press release from NORRA about the official participation of Parnelli Jones at the upcoming Mexican 1000...how cool is that?

Marty

Attachments

• NORRA_PressRelease_8.18.pdf
    329.9 KB · Views: 495

charlie_brown

Reaction
.last time i saw PJ down there he was chasseing walker in the pine forest.

loufish

Reaction
If I remember correctly, that Blazer was pretty trick, had even been switched over to "I" beams... :D

Parnelli, one of my all time favorites!....Got to see him run one of the Blazers at Riverside...uh.....long time ago that is....:cool:

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
Sorry, but had to bump this up just once....or maybe I am getting too old and my idol worship of Mr. Jones is lost on all you young guys :)

Marty

fordnut

Reaction
Very cool, wish I could get down there to see it.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Sorry, but had to bump this up just once....or maybe I am getting too old and my idol worship of Mr. Jones is lost on all you young guys :)

Marty

That's a negative Marty. Parnelli is like Zeus himself hand delivering a lighting bolt.

Parnelli is Baja on way to many levels.

Chase 2

Reaction
If you had ever been near a start or finish line back in the day and heard the yell from crowd: Parnelli!! Parnelli!! You'd know.

jsallenbach

Reaction
If I remember correctly, that Blazer was pretty trick, had even been switched over to "I" beams... :D

Parnelli, one of my all time favorites!....Got to see him run one of the Blazers at Riverside...uh.....long time ago that is....:cool:

It's the sickest Blazer i have ever seen, i went to his private museum and he had that there along with big oly and tons of old indy cars.

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
That's awesome Marty!

Congrats...

:)

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
Thanks Mr. Higman, but the congrats need to go to NORRA...and I am doing is prepping our 1964 VW for the event and supporting the concept via Dirt Sports..

Marty

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Marty. pretty cool your bringing out the Dirt Sports, 64 bug. best of luck with it and the race. Dennis

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Thanks Mr. Higman, but the congrats need to go to NORRA...
Marty

Yes Marty but a lot of people within the Off Road Community give you credit for keeping the passion/interest alive for racing in Baja because of you’re work on Dust to Glory, the 40 Years to Glory event, Dirt Sports and much more including you’re book 1000 Miles to Glory. Without these efforts the “history” of racing in Baja may have just faded?

The NORRA event sounds like a neat deal and I am sure Parnelli will have a good time reliving old memories… I am excited to see Bill Varnes participate in his single seat 1600 car he built for Rob Tolleson. When I first started desert racing they were the team to beat!

I think Bill may have a story to share on the trip about the 1986 Baja 1000 where he drove a section for Rob? I believe he had a little trouble in an area I call “The Twilight Zone” which is in between El Arco and Vizcaino. I think the battery died in his car and he got overtaken by the intoxicated locals for a bit of a scare? I had something like this happen to me as well and I will never forget it and since that day I have called this section The Twilight Zone. The locals like to set the Cactuses on fire and with all the smoke and flames it can be bizarre looking going through there at night…

Good luck and have a great time!

:)

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
From what I understand NORRA is getting all of the entries together now. I also have no idea how many pre-1989 motorcycles or alternative fuel entries they have...but the quality of the vintage cars I know are coming seems very high for a first year effort. Those of us going want to see this become an annual run down Baja that's fun, safe and not so intense as doing a Baja 1000.....cant' wait hit the dirt.

BigBro

Reaction
From what I understand NORRA is getting all of the entries together now. I also have no idea how many pre-1989 motorcycles or alternative fuel entries they have...but the quality of the vintage cars I know are coming seems very high for a first year effort. Those of us going want to see this become an annual run down Baja that's fun, safe and not so intense as doing a Baja 1000.....cant' wait hit the dirt.

Sounds Great !

Only suggestion would be to publish the entrants for each class as soon as possible to gain more support.

Hope this will be a very successful Baja race for many years to come.

Thanks to everyone involved for making this race happen. :D