Parts is parts AGAIN!

Dave_G

Reaction
Ok, we were having fun today with the digital camera in the shop so consider this SPAM TUESDAY!

Here's a shot of electronic ignition modules for Harley Davidsons that we make on our horizontal machining center. We gang numerous parts on a tomb stone for faster production.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's a close up pic of the modules. Note the holes in the pockets. They are a #1-72 threaded hole that is rigid formed at 5000 RPM.

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Ok, I'll bet no body can guess what these parts are used for.

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's a pic of some 6 speed main shafts fresh out of the CNC lathe and ready for spline.

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Need V-grooves machined in the outer race of your hardened bearings? ;-)

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's Wally with the BIG set of vernier calipers to measure I failed spelling with.

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Ok, last pic...I been drink'in and post'in so give me a break! sheesh......

Attachments

mgobaja

Reaction
I guess that the long can with schrader valve is a shock resevoir. Looks like some hub parts also.

Donovan

Reaction
Dave that is some cool stuff. What kind of cnc lathe are you using to machine those grooves in that bearings? How long does it take? I also like all those parts on that tombstone. Very cool stuff.

Donovan

Dave_G

Reaction
Re:"What kind of cnc lathe are you using to machine those grooves in that bearings?"

Donovan,
All of our CNC machines are Hitachi Seiki. The lathe is a Hitec Turn 25S, the vertical mill is a VA-55 50 taper machine and the horizontal is a HG400 MKIII. Today we tenatively closed a deal on a brand new Hitec Turn 200 but haven't seen it yet. It's being shipped from Japan.

The bearing races are being cut using ceramic inserts. Carbide won't even phase it so we have to go with the ceramics. I get about 30 pieces per edge on the insert. Were running them at 550 SFPM and it takes about a minute and a half to do one.

Dave

Donovan

Reaction
That is very cool Dave. My Family owns a Grinding shop here in Denver and I run a centerless grinder most of the time and a CNC OD grinder. I want to get a CNC lathe but that would be a big set for us grinders to take. HEHE. Thanks for the info. What kind of tolerances does the Hitachi lathe hold?

Donovan

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: What kind of tolerances does the Hitachi lathe hold?

Under the right conditions you can hold .0001 I beat the grinders out of a lot of finish work these days using ceramics to finish bearing and seal diameters after heat treating. You guys should consider a CNC lathe for your grind shop. Probably would allow you to rough profile the parts accurately before putting them in the CNC grinder I would think.

Dave

farmboy

Reaction
what does SFPM stand for? i'm guessin surface something per minute.

Boy, Farm

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Spindle?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

farmboy

Reaction
ten hut, you engineer types have to explain some things to us non engineer types once in a while, thanks

Boy, Farm

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
This whole post might as well be in a foreign language for all us non engineer types!

See ya in the dirt!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
1-72 roll tap at 5000 rpm? Are you sure your spindle ever reaches that speed? On a short hole like that our fastest spindle ( brother 30 taper) only hits about 3000 rpm. Even then we have a problem with them hydraulicing at the bottom of the hole and breaking. MMMMM, tombstone. Must be nice to have a large horizontal. Those long turned parts look like oversized pull studs......

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: ? Are you sure your spindle ever reaches that speed?

Yep. Max speed on that machine is 12,000 rpm. It's a through hole so hydraulicing is not a problem. On the Volkswagon ignition caps it's a blind hole and we have to grind a small micro groove in the thread former to relieve the coolant pressure so it doesn't hydraulic. Since it's a rigid tap process there is some accelleration / de-accelleration but at peak it does hit 5000.

Dave