Parts is parts AGAIN!

sincitysump

Reaction
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with........ eh... molecular structures.

Politicans are like diapers, they both need to be changed often and for the same reasons

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Machinist types you mean

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

ntsqd

Reaction
Dave, I'd say you've pushed the HG work envelope right out to the very limits with the looks of that tombstone. I just finished a hyd clamping tombstone for some OE parts to be done on an HG400. We designed and made all of it except the check valve and the accumulator. Started with blanchard ground A48 Grade 40 cont. cast slabs and made iron dust until they looked like a tombstone. I am really glad it's done.

Hitachi says the bearings in their HG400 spindles are "infinite life." Plan on replacing the spindle cartridge at about 10,000 hours. That's about all we get out them at work anyway.

To get the thru-put and surface finish on our hubs we've gone to PCD inserts. You can hear the tool room guy scream whenever one is crashed.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Donovan

Reaction
Dave would you mind me emailing you and asking a couple more questions? Thanks

Donovan

Dave_G

Reaction
Re" Hitachi says the bearings in their HG400 spindles are "infinite life." Plan on replacing the spindle cartridge at about 10,000 hours. That's about all we get out them at work anyway.""

HA! funny you should mention that. Our spindle bearings died with only 300 hours on them. We took delivery of the first HG400 in the U.S. and there were problems with them from the get go. We were running some parts at 12,000 RPM one day and I was in the office eating lunch when all of a sudden I hear this blood curling screech out in the shop. I go out there to find smoke coming from the spindle cartridge and it's seized up tight. Hitachi didn't have any spare spindles in stock and they had to put one together in Japan and ship it. We were down for over a month on that machine before we got the parts and got it going again. Luckily it was still under warranty at the time.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A machine down for a month...hmmm sounds like hitachi owes you about 10 grand in lost revenue from that machine during downtime.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Thats one reason we went with the el-cheapo Haas's. New spindle next day UPS. out of 3 machines only replaced 1 in 5 yr's. But we only run one shift.

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "sounds like hitachi owes you about 10 grand in lost revenue from that machine during downtime."

Kris,
That's why we have Boiler insurance coverage.

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "Thats one reason we went with the el-cheapo Haas's."

If you ever take a tour of the Haas factory you will see that about 75% of the CNC machines in there making parts for the Haas machines are Hitachi Seiki.

Dave

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
With pallet loader transfer lines that run 3rd shift unmaned! If I had a need for somthing that precise or high volume I would go with a hitatchi or mori too. But I live in a short run +-.005 aluminum world. 3 haas's = 1 hitatchi or mori. But what I need now is a bigger 4 axis machine so I can make My own billet ford block..........

ntsqd

Reaction
"But what I need now is a bigger 4 axis machine so I can make My own billet ford block.........."

Wonder if AR Inc's Milicron-10 is FS ?
:)

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages