• Forum membership has its advantages....

Parts is Parts.......

Dave_G

Just thought I'd post some pics of some of the off road parts and components that we've made over the years. I had to dig through the archives for some of them so enjoy!

This first pic is of a set of gear boxes and we made for the Nelson & Nelson short course cars a few years back. Note how we incorporated the engine adapter plate as part of the gear box.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Attachments

Dave_G

Here's a pic of some drive spindles I just made for a 24 hour Daytona car for K&N Air filters

Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Here's a air valve manifold that shifts a sequential 6 speed transmission.

Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Here's a pic of one of the Herbst 4X4 uprights in my 50 taper Hitachi Seiki CNC mill being machined before heat treating.

Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Here's a pic of a front drive shaft U-joint yoke for the Herbst TT being machined in the 4th axis on the CNC mill. Note the extra angularity clearance that is being machined in the bottom throat of the yoke.
Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Pic of a finished 4X4 computerised transfer case machined out of solid billet aluminum. T-case was designed by Dennis Cook of X-Factor Engineering. Way cool Dennis!!

Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Some internal pieces of the T-case. Note the way cool clutch basket that was the biggest pain in the a** to make but well worth it.

Dave

Attachments

Donahoe

Very pretty stuff Dave.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Dave_G

Almost forgot this one.....This has absolutely nothing to do with race parts but it is interesting to look at. ;-) I make one of the best jet head trolling lures for tuna and albacore fishing on thew planet. The lure has jet head holes at 30 degree angles that produce a large bubble pattern in the water that is used as an attractant for tuna. I got tired of drilling the jet holes one at a time on the CNC indexer so I decided to make a machine that drills all the holes at once in 3 seconds. The lure is held in the center of the machine with an air collet closer and the drills are powered and fed by air. We sell an average of about 5,000 lures each season.

Dave

Attachments

Klaus

Administrator
The subject of this thread reminds me of the old Pep Boys commercial...
If it fits.. it fits...

The one with two guys jamming an oversized battery into the smaller battery mou

Dave_G

Re: what is the name of that lure? I wonder if I have used it before.

It's marketed under the name 'Mr Jig's" Jet Head. The commercial albacore guys are now using them cuz they work better than feathers. If you go to the Fred Hall Tackle show next month you can find them there if your tackle store doesn't have them.

Dave

Dave_G

Re: Thats just ART!

Nope.....we call it craftsmanship. Something that's becoming a dieing trade in todays world. Nobody seems to want to make anything with quality these days. ;-)

Dave

FABRICATOR

Dave, those parts and pictures are cool, keep them coming!

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

BradM

Spam Sunday seems to be alive and well again. Is business a little slow Dave? J/K

Nice parts. Looks like you operate a very capable and resourceful shop.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Dave_G

Re: Spam Sunday seems to be alive and well again. Is business a little slow Dave? J/K

Nope. Wind was blowing like a hurricane at the airport. Couldn't fly that day so I was bored. ;-) Business is far from slow right now. Got way to many irons in the fire right now.

Dave

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Dave, very nice work. I have a small Matsura machining center in my garage that I use for making custom motorcycle parts as well as whatever else my buddies and I can dream up. I can definately imagine some of the trick setups involved in making some of that stuff. What type of CAD/CAM packages do you currently use? And/or what do you recommend?

journeyman

Dave_G

Re: What type of CAD/CAM packages do you currently use?

For the lathe work I have a Fanuc 10TEF control with synbolic FAPT on my Hitachi Seiki HT-25S. I use that for all the turning programming. I have yet to find a PC based software that is as versitile as FAPT. For the mill work we use several systems depending on the complexity of the work. E-Z CAM for the 2D stuff and Master Cam 3D for the complicated stuff. Some of my customers do their own design and engineering work and they just send their stuff attached to an e-mail in DXF format or DWG format. That usually helps a lot since they already have created the part geometry for you.

Dave