Parts is parts....

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's a pic of some 300M rear knock off drive pins I finished on friday for Arnold. They are heat treated to Rc 52-54 and finish machined after heat treat.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Dave_G

Reaction
Close up view.

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's a pic of some spindles for a commercial cup printing machine. Material is 4340 heat treated to Rc 45-48 and finished machined after heat treat. Concentricity from I.D. bearing bores to all O.D. dimensions is very critical for this application. These parts have a maximum run out of .0005

ntsqd

Reaction
I'm guessing the part in the background is a Herbst Truggy upper spindle pivot. Did I just let the cat out of the bag ?

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Dave_G

Reaction
RE: " Did I just let the cat out of the bag ?"

Nope. It's not a Truggy part. ;-)

Dave

Ryno

Reaction
Dave
I'm gonna sound like an ignorant idiot...but what are drive pins? The taper on them is hella sweet! Thanks for your time!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

evan_clanin

Reaction
i was wondering the same thing

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "but what are drive pins? "

When you run a knock off wheel hub there are no lug nuts. Just one large wing nut with a compression plate to hold the wheel on. The drive pins perform the same function as a wheel stud except they only drive the rear wheel and not hold it on. These particular pins transition all the way through the threaded snout, the bearing hub, and the brake hat, and are held in by a high temp 12 point MS nut on the threaded end.

The reason for the turned down taper is important. When heat is transmitted from the brake rotor to the aluminum bearing hub, the hub grows dramatically in length in respect to the steel drive pin thus placing a serious amount of stress on the 1/2" thread. By tapering the pin down to the diameter of the thread the stress is not concentrated in the root of the thread as much. Since this knockoff runs 10 pins per wheel is also saves on unsprung weight when you taper them down.

Dave