Pasat Owners LOL.... Go figure

kjmiller1

Reaction
Thats pretty funny, but I think the jokes on the guys giving the bad advice, since the passat owner replied just over an hour after the original bad advice was posted. If someone was that stupid, what are the chances he would even have 80 grit sandpaper around, and I doubt he would have seen the advice, found the hardware store, found the sandpaper in the store, come back, screw up his car and get online to post the reply in that much time.

martininsocal

Reaction
Yes! there are people like that out there! I grew up with a buddy who was brilliant with books, but would qualify as suffering down syndrome when it came to mechanics. Seriously, this guy graduated from Stanford with 3 degrees in 3 years, but here is the punchline- He had a slope 930 that he bought from a shop I worked at, up to that pointm he had been driving a 1970 targa his dad gave him for being so smart. He butchered that car with a fiberglass slope kit and didn't like the looks after all teh cracks he put in it, so he wanted a real one. He walks in one day and says I want that car! about a month later he calls ma and says he thinks there is something wrong withhis motor and could I come take a look. The moron had developed a pinhole leak in the trunklid oil cooler. Being the brain surgeon he is(actually he now an anestheseologist...run!) he dicided to take some pliers and PINCH OFF the line! Yes, they do exist!

Dave_G

Reaction
Martin,
Years ago when we were doing engine machine work we had a customer with an MG that had us do all the machine work on the engine and he insisted that he assemble it. Several days after he picked up all the stuff he came in the shop and said, " I got that engine running and it's knocking real bad". He was really pi$$ed so Wally and I went up to his house to check it out and see what was up. We stood there while the guy fired it up and that sucker knocked so bad we almost took cover in case it grenaded into pieces. We asked him what were the clearances on the rod bearings when he assembled it and he kind of got this blank stare on his face. He then said, " what rod bearings?".

He never installed the rod bearings and just put the rods on the crank journal.

Like you say...... yes, they do exist.

Dave

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
If you take some 80 grit sandpaper and cut it into strips you can fill in the gaps where the bearings should be...this should take care of that knocking sound your talking about........

1992f150

Reaction
no no no you cant cut it into strips, think about it this way, if you have 80 grit paper and you cut it in half, youve just lost half of the grits! its now 40 grit paper. By the time you cut it into all those strips youd be lucky to have even 10 grits per strip. The paper gets unstable when the grit count gets too low...

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
NOT if you use METRIC SCISSORS.................ROOKIE...GEEEZZ US!!