Passive vs. Assertive vs. Agressive Driving Style

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
How do you describe your own overall racing driving style ?
and
How do others describe your style?

Passive means you wait for your turn.
Assertive means you go first.
Aggressive is you go first without regard of others going first as well.

And then for plus caveats there is a combo. The Passive-Aggressive…you pretend not to go and then go first when nobody expects it.

----
Costs to consider:

Aggressive is the most expensive. You must be competent in that modality while over confidence will get you into the trouble zone. High equipment cost. Mentally straining.

Assertive costs is discipline to not turn aggressive especially if you are competent. You must practice humble (know your limits). Time of being a student of racing is a high cost.

The cost of passive is that you only win if the other styles run out of resources. You settle for less podium wins, perhaps you are too humble.

In a Passive Aggressive style you make enemies as you will be seen as non trust worthy by the other competitors. Cost is hiding your craft and constant vigilance.

Last edited:

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I would guess that some of this is situational too. Based on skill and experience I assume many/most dial it up or down based on a variety of factors. Although there are some who are probably habitually "go big or go home" types and some who are "casual cruise" types who prefer to play it safe and get to the finish. A lot of options here, and many variables that would impact styles I think.

Advertising supports this site

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
Race smart. Race like Rob Mac. Race the time gaps till the last 100 miles then go if you have to.
Since Rob Mac gets a lot of attention here lately... and he is a public figure...

Is he assertive or aggressive ? I categorize him as assertive, but then again his front bumper and my rear bumper have not met yet.

Last edited:

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
Mint 400 2018 our last lap his first lap he caught us just before start/finish, he was running third physically (fast) and never touched our vintage bumper, and believe me he had the opportunity as it took us a bit to find a safe place to move out of his way. Some others weren’t so gentlemanly.

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
Very few have probably ever met his front bumper. And the few who did deserved it.

Ask Jensen Button about Rob's front bumper. :p
and then there is this lol

8E226143-1677-4620-822D-95E14D05763B.jpeg

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
and then there is this lol

View attachment 246271

Yea that was one of those completely freak accidents.

I was at main pit, waiting for him to come thru. Saw all the flashing lights, could hear a bit from the announcers over at the start/finish. Couldn't really grasp what had happened or was goin on.
Saw them come thru the pits and thought, great Robs going to win. I stayed at the pit with the trailer while others went to the finish. So I had no idea what happened on the podium. When Rob and Cayden made it back to the pits/trailer with the race truck, I could tell something happened, but didn't know what. Was a total somber moment. Nothing like last time Rob won and stopped and had drinks with us in the hotel parking lot after he left the podium. I didn't find out till later what had happened and didn't see the video till the next day. :oops:

Total bummer for the whole event.

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
Total bummer but it made for great race-drama.content !!!
Don’t forget Rob wanted to push Luke back over and let him go win the race.
Both of them are class acts in my opinion and it showed👍🏼
As an off road racing fan I’ll definitely remember that finish for a long time

Sorry for the hijack. Back on topic.

Last edited:

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I dont think the Rob-Luke situation at the Mint was an example of aggressive driving. At least not intentionally aggressive anyway, lol.

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
You have to be aggressive in order to move up. plain and simple. When dust is to the side you hammer the throttle and make up time, always looking for the way around the person in front of you. Know the course or at least as best as you can and know the limits to each corner.

Racing motocross as a pro you are either full throttle or off and braking. Really no in-between. Either on it or off it.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Rob didnt have to pass him to win. He had him on time.
But being the ultimate racer, he wanted to be first across the line. He thought he had him, then Luke got pitched back in front of him with no where to go.
Rob was a mess afterwards. Remember, him and Luke just spent a lot of time in Baja and won the 1000 and Luke ran Robs number so Rob could win the season championship.
2 true sportsmen.

HBSURFDAD

RDC Crypto
My style is passive opportunist. I bide my time and go when I see an opening. I

have not raced Motorsports in the desert but I have competed very successfully in multiple other past times.

That last 1% that separates the good from the great is a rare thing, I can honestly say I don’t have that “obsessed focus” it takes to be a consistent champion.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
its all moot if your fortune telling skills suck, the truley gifted racers are the ones who see the farthest into the future, the farther , the faster they are, some guys are quick, but they cant ' see' the future as clearly, ie , you got 3 guys in front of you, you know 2 of them well, thier style, 3rd guy not so much, the really good racer can foretell the out come of the 3 and do a pic, set up, or out right pass when all 3 slow each other down, the quick guy who dosent see the future, cant deduce the styles& situation, they just 'react', a lot of the ' just react' guys are way too aggressive, no finness, hacks, off road is full of aggressive hacks, Rob Mac is all three styles to a degree, and he is the master of fotune telling the future💥my style was allways passive/ assertive, agre$$ive? no way that style is for the big $$ club

Last edited:

Speedster

RDC Crypto
Rob didnt have to pass him to win. He had him on time.
But being the ultimate racer, he wanted to be first across the line. He thought he had him, then Luke got pitched back in front of him with no where to go.
Rob was a mess afterwards. Remember, him and Luke just spent a lot of time in Baja and won the 1000 and Luke ran Robs number so Rob could win the season championship.
2 true sportsmen.
Number plate exemplifies the absolute class Rob has:

Attachments

• PXL_20220310_201918404.jpg
    PXL_20220310_201918404.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
Since Rob Mac gets a lot of attention here lately... and he is a public figure...

Is he assertive or aggressive ? I categorize him as assertive, but then again his front bumper and my rear bumper have not met yet.
I think Rob will race you very hard. Look at end of speed zone racing in the past with Arcerio and Apdaly . He wont give a inch. Nor should he. This Baja 500 Mike Walser cam into RM 245 in 2nd place behind Rob. This is where Jax and I would get in. I think we could catch Rob but there are not much options from 245 to the finish to pass. Then if we did would have to pull a min on him. That would have been a tall order. Him in front he would not have to push at all unless he was down on time from Ampudia.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
You mean the Rob/Arcerio event where Arcerio was going under the speed limit so Rob started going around him. Then Arcerio sped up and tried to block him. But the turn off was to the left so Rob had the advantage and the course worker waived him on to go.
Then when they got in the dirt, Arcerio quickly ran out of talent trying to keep up with Rob and almost endoed.
Several videos of it on YouTube.
Same with Apdialy when Rob put a classic short course pass on him.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
classic set up move, Rob knew turn off to left, hmmm, just get to his left side and badda bing💥, if Arciero was on the ball, he would NoT have left any room to the left side for RM to fill up😀