Passport alert!!! Baja 500

BajaFand

Just heard tonight that as of June 1st 2009 passports will be required for travel by land to and from Mexico. I will admit I have been slacking on keeping up with this issue since they have pushed it back so many times, I did not realize the date was coming so soon and now I have to get one before race weekend otherwise I'm not going. Up until now I have just been taking a copy of my birth certificate every time I go down which they say you are supposed to have, although out of the 4 or 5 times I've been to Baja since that has been in effect they don't even ask for it.

This thread is just a reminder for those who are like me and have forgotten or procrastinated on getting their passports. Maybe make this sticky so it's a good reminder for everyone? I know there's gotta be some people like me out there.;)

harleys dad

I herd you can get a lower version, some kind of border crossing card that cost a lot less and is supost to be quicker to get

BUSBY

Scrambler
Passports are $75, Passport Cards are $20. Both have an Execution Fee of $25.

You can learn more about how to apply by Clicking here for information

The Passport Card has restrictions to international air travel. It can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda via land or sea.

There is a expedited service for an additional $60, which makes the turn around time 2-3 weeks ... but normal processing time is 4-6 weeks.

Hope this helps.

kdneo

I got mine in about 2 weeks, and the girlfriend got her stuff in exactly a week, and that was not paying the rush fee!

Tipracer

Im willing to bet that this time they do not extend the date

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Im willing to bet that this time they do not extend the date
i was at the passport office yesterday getting my sons passport and they said
if it were going to be extended that they would know by now. (in the past they
have always known months in advance if the deadline would be extended)....

I've got a bizarr scenario. What if you go and try to come back. Obviously you can get into Mexico. What's gonna happen on the way back??? Are they just not gonna let you in??? Tell you sorry you're now a Mexican citizen!!! Beat it!! Back tijuana where you came from!!! I'm not worried, I have a passport. But "what if"?? What happens??? Jump the fence and haul **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**????

jo maoma

Heisenberg
I've got a bizarr scenario. What if you go and try to come back. Obviously you can get into Mexico. What's gonna happen on the way back??? Are they just not gonna let you in??? Tell you sorry you're now a Mexican citizen!!! Beat it!! Back tijuana where you came from!!! I'm not worried, I have a passport. But "what if"?? What happens??? Jump the fence and haul **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**????
if you need the name of a reputable coyote just PM me...

j/k :D

RGFan

Yep, pretty much....You will most likely have to go through the embassy to secure your return which can take weeks worst case.......My passport fell under the drivers seat in a rental car once in Monterrey, MX and I was about one hour into the ordeal, missed my flight, airport security took me to their "office" when the rental car agency called me and told me they had my passport in broken english.......Did not understand a word they said until I heard the word "passport". Embassy staff were sent to the airport to meet me.......On the ground, they might have an embassy liason at the border facility, I would not want to find out. One thing is for sure, I will never lose my passport again.

RFS Motorsports

We crossed the other day and one of my friends only had his drivers license. They said that starting in June if you do not have your passport they are going to fine you $75 right there at their office. You will have to pay the fine to get across.

Chase 2

From the Homeland Security site:

Presenting Insufficient Documentation

Travelers who do not have the appropriate documents may be delayed while Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their citizenship and identity. They will also be given an informational sheet explaining the new procedures. The intent of this transition is to raise awareness of the change, educate travelers, and allow ample time for travelers to obtain the necessary documents.

That doesn't sound like a trip to the Embassy to me.

Sheaco

We crossed the other day and one of my friends only had his drivers license. They said that starting in June if you do not have your passport they are going to fine you $75 right there at their office. You will have to pay the fine to get across.
Sounds like an Old Fashion "Mexican Traffic Stop". I didn't know the US Customs was in such financial ruins.

Zambo

Wow, what a big surprise! Who knew this was coming? Gimme a second so I can think of another excuse for not getting my passport. Just get off your butts and go get the thing people, its a simple procedure and everybody has had plenty of time and notice to get it done. Plus it will speed up the border crossing when the agent doesn't have to give you the third degree when you show up without it. Don't make the rest of us wait because you can't be bothered with this simple task.

MikeLeung

One thing you guys should consider about getting the Land Crossing Card...it is only for land crossing. If God forbid you need to be flown out of Mexico for a medical emergency not having a real Passport can delay the Air Evac.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
One thing you guys should consider about getting the Land Crossing Card...it is only for land crossing. If God forbid you need to be flown out of Mexico for a medical emergency not having a real Passport can delay the Air Evac.
i agree. they told me the card is processed just like the book, it takes the
same amount of time it's just cheaper...

Kartman

Media Goon
Wow, what a big surprise! Who knew this was coming? Gimme a second so I can think of another excuse for not getting my passport. Just get off your butts and go get the thing people, its a simple procedure and everybody has had plenty of time and notice to get it done. Plus it will speed up the border crossing when the agent doesn't have to give you the third degree when you show up without it. Don't make the rest of us wait because you can't be bothered with this simple task.
Spot on.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I herd you can get a lower version, some kind of border crossing card that cost a lot less and is supost to be quicker to get
Its in addition to the passport if you want it and I believe its 15 or 25 extra. Kind of a dumb thing since you cant fly out in case of emergency with it, but I bought it anyway.

Rory

Crayola Killer
i agree. they told me the card is processed just like the book, it takes the
same amount of time it's just cheaper...
My wife and I applied at the post office for our passports on April 7th, have yet to recieve ours. They said 4-6 weeks but also stated that it could be as quick as 2 weeks. I believe so many people waited till the last minute (guilty) that it is taking a little longer than expected. If you want to go to the 500, you better get your stuff rolling TODAY!!!! I'll go regardless and pay the $75 fine if i have too :D.

klaus

Administrator
I find it amazing that so many people fight to get a passport.
A passport is a document required to cross international borders. Not having one limits your travel for work and fun (or both).