Paul Menard Announcement Coming Tomorrow

RGFan

Here we go......I guess my in knows what is going on after all.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Paul Menard will leave Dale Earnhardt Inc. at the end of the season to drive for Yates Racing, The Associated Press has learned.

Menard is expected to announce Tuesday that both he and his sponsorship will move to Yates, a person familiar with Menard's decision told The AP. The person requested anonymity because Menard had yet to make his announcement.

The loss could ultimately cripple DEI because Menard's sponsor is his father's midwest-based hardware chain. The loss of driver and sponsor leaves DEI with just one full-time sponsor and three drivers signed for next season.

DEI is a four-car team this year, but has lacked full sponsorship for rookie Regan Smith's team all season.

FOXSports.com's Lee Spencer has learned that Menard will drive a third car at Yates. No announcement has been made regarding the crew chief for the new team.

Managers at DEI were told today of the move today while a full company announcement is coming Tuesday.

Tristar Racing

And no one knows what is happening with RGM.

As an aside, I joined planet Robby in hopes of gaining more info on RGM, and it cracks me up how many "experts" are on that sight. Everyone offers up supposed inside info, when all they are really doing is making things up or repeating news from elsewhere. At least people dont lie and say they have the inside scoop on this board...

RGFan

And no one knows what is happening with RGM.

As an aside, I joined planet Robby in hopes of gaining more info on RGM, and it cracks me up how many "experts" are on that sight. Everyone offers up supposed inside info, when all they are really doing is making things up or repeating news from elsewhere. At least people dont lie and say they have the inside scoop on this board...
The last site was so out of control.........All of the robots were just to annoying. The site administrator is actually the only guy over there who has any common sense.

Tristar Racing

The last site was so out of control.........All of the robots were just to annoying. The site administrator is actually the only guy over there who has any common sense.
I dont fault the creator (TOG), I just cant seem to get on the same page with what apparently is the typical RG Nascar fan. Im glad they seem to stay away from this site...

RGFan

I dont fault the creator (TOG), I just cant seem to get on the same page with what apparently is the typical RG Nascar fan. Im glad they seem to stay away from this site...
I would not associate those fans as being typical.......More like bandwagon fans. TOG is a stand up guy......I would love to see the stalker go over there......They would eat him alive.......But then again, most of them might have alot in common, atleast they are honest about where they stand, unlike the stalker:D

Mumzy

It is my opinion....if that really matters.....that Robby himself isn't 100% sure of where he will be next year. I know that Ford seems to be mentioned quite a bit, but that is Jacks house, and Robby and him just don't seem to play well together.

RGFan

It is my opinion....if that really matters.....that Robby himself isn't 100% sure of where he will be next year. I know that Ford seems to be mentioned quite a bit, but that is Jacks house, and Robby and him just don't seem to play well together.
Valid opinion......I do hear that RG has something cooking with a Ford Team with Menard, it was a team that they have attempted to purchase before.......As far as RG and Jack are concerned, lets not forget that RG drove for Jack for several years and did a hell of a job. It is no secret that Roush did not approve of RG's decision to go CART racing, blanking both Roush and Mark Martin in the process. Roush has given RG many kudos through the years, but he just has never understood why RG would not focus on just driving and thinks he is nuts trying to run his own team. With hearing all of the DEI talk of late, I was questioning what I had heard about RG and Menard going to Yates. But with this announcement, I am thinking what I have heard has some legitimacy to it. Time will tell. Tristar has heard some similar rumblings as well.

HDRA1

The Godfather
i wonder how much i can get for robby's cell number on the planet robby site ???? what a thing to ponder

Tristar Racing

Valid opinion......I do hear that RG has something cooking with a Ford Team with Menard, it was a team that they have attempted to purchase before.......As far as RG and Jack are concerned, lets not forget that RG drove for Jack for several years and did a hell of a job. It is no secret that Roush did not approve of RG's decision to go CART racing, blanking both Roush and Mark Martin in the process. Roush has given RG many kudos through the years, but he just has never understood why RG would not focus on just driving and thinks he is nuts trying to run his own team. With hearing all of the DEI talk of late, I was questioning what I had heard about RG and Menard going to Yates. But with this announcement, I am thinking what I have heard has some legitimacy to it. Time will tell. Tristar has heard some similar rumblings as well.
Yea, oddly that was from the RBR camp. The same person said AJs job was safe too, so who knows anymore... :eek:

i wonder how much i can get for robby's cell number on the planet robby site ???? what a thing to ponder
haha! I bet they would pay a lot of money. Those people are insane. Me, I was happy getting a team issued RGM duffle bag to use as my boating overnight bag, :)

NIKAL

Well I posted on the 17th that I was given info about Menard going to Yates was a done deal. The person I got the info from was third party and I did not know if this person was lagit. Well I guess he was. Now the second part that was told was that John Story was next to bail out on DEI. So lets see if this guy got lucky on his tip or if he is in the know. Would'nt be crazy if some how Menard, Gordon and Story all ended up together?

Here's the link to my original post. http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49003&page=10

Tristar Racing

Well I posted on the 17th that I was given info about Menard going to Yates was a done deal. The person I got the info from was third party and I did not know if this person was lagit. Well I guess he was. Now the second part that was told was that John Story was next to bail out on DEI. So lets see if this guy got lucky on his tip or if he is in the know. Would'nt be crazy if some how Menard, Gordon and Story all ended up together?

Here's the link to my original post. http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49003&page=10
I just assume your inside info is always correct, because as long as I have been on this site it always has been.

Maybe RG talking to Story was about Storys future plans upon leaving DEI, not RG going to DEI...

NIKAL

I just assume your inside info is always correct, because as long as I have been on this site it always has been.

Maybe RG talking to Story was about Storys future plans upon leaving DEI, not RG going to DEI...
LOL! Dont assume I know what I'm talking about! LOL! Sometimes I get lucky too!

RGFan

My in told me that Gordon and Menard are attempting to buy into RYR again. I do not know if it is majority interest, outright, minority interest, partnership etc. He had the first part right, with Menard going to Yates, we will see about RG.

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
The question is, Do you think Roush would let Yates sell to Menard and Gordon? Jack really doesn't have a say,but I'm sure he does. I will being to bet that the Yates cars/testing can contribute to some of the success that the Rousch camp has been having these last few months!

NIKAL

Not to throw another wrench is the system, but dont forget when Robert Yates gave the company to his son Doug. Doug went to Jack Roush for help. During this time Doug took on a partner. Max Jones the General Manager of Roush bought into Yates Racing and is a co-owner of Yates Racing with Doug. So if Menard and or RGM were looking to some how buy into Yates. Their is now another partner that they would have to look at buying out, or work with. Personally I think Max Jones buying in was Jack Roush's way of getting a hand in the pot without having his name on it. So to buy into Yates, you might be negotiating with Doug and Max with Jack whispering in Max's ear as to what Jack wants.

NIKAL

Not to change the subject but depending on what RGM does this could effect them if RGM was to stay with Dodge. The Winston Salem Journal is reporting that GEM will move to Toyota next year. This was part of an article about the Petty's.

Dodge teams in general have struggled this season. Though Dodge officials last week denied reports that George Gillett, who is the majority owner of Gillett-Evernham Motorsports, was planning a switch to Toyota, it's been confirmed that just such a plan is in the works. The loss of the Gillett-Evernham team would be a significant blow to Dodge, because Ray Evernham was the man who keyed Dodge's return to this sport eight years ago, and the Evernham operation has been Dodge's anchor.

The loss of Gillett to Toyota would leave Dodge with the Roger Penske team, the Pettys, Robby Gordon, and Chip Ganassi's team. Penske's Ryan Newman won the Daytona 500, in a surprise, and Kurt Busch won the rain-shortened Loudon race in June; Kasey Kahne won at Concord and Pocono for Gillett-Evernham.

The loss of Gillett-Evernham would be a major blow to the Pettys, too, because they have been leasing their Dodge engines from Gillett. If Gillett leaves Dodge, the Dodge engine program might become an issue, since Gillett-Evernham has been such a major part of that operation.

Meanwhile the new Dodge engine – the R6P8 -- finally made it to the track this weekend, and Kurt Busch ran it in his Penske car. He finished 30th, two laps down.

b-makk

Is Menard taking a seat at Yates or are they expanding to 3 cars?

Also, will one of Roush's 5 teams eventually move to Yates? Will Roush EVER dump McMurray??

Yates is the unsponsored place to be thanks to the affiliation with Roush. One of the few alliances that works.

Somebody on here reported that Robby would be in a Ford next year ...starting to look like a strong possibility.

How long before DEI is on the auction block? I will be disappointed if Robby ends up at DEI because it would just be more of the same

Tristar Racing

Is Menard taking a seat at Yates or are they expanding to 3 cars?

Also, will one of Roush's 5 teams eventually move to Yates? Will Roush EVER dump McMurray??

Yates is the unsponsored place to be thanks to the affiliation with Roush. One of the few alliances that works.

Somebody on here reported that Robby would be in a Ford next year ...starting to look like a strong possibility.

How long before DEI is on the auction block? I will be disappointed if Robby ends up at DEI because it would just be more of the same

Well Yates commented Paul works well with Travis and David, so Im assuming it might be a three car team at this point. The key is though that nothing has been officially stated.

Also, keep in mind Richard Childress will do whatever it takes to keep DEI afloat.

This has been a very bizarre silly season already, and just keeps getting more interesting by the day.

NIKAL

From the frontstretch.com
Menard's presence secures them [Yates Racing] funding for at least one full-time team in 2009, but will mean the axe for either #28-Travis Kvapil or #38-David Gilliland if enough sponsorship isn't found to expand to three cars. In the meantime, contraction is now almost a certainty for Dale Earnhardt, Inc., who now must find sponsors for Menard's #15, Regan Smith's #01, and Aric Almirola's #8. A source tells Frontstretch.com Smith's #01 has been floated around to possible investors, and it's almost a certainty Smith will not return to the team in 2009. Menard and DEI could not be reached for comment.

UPDATE 2: Paul Menard has reached an agreement to drive for Yates Racing in the Sprint Cup Series beginning with the 2009 season. “This is a great opportunity and I’m glad to be joining the Yates Racing organization next season,” said Menard. “I think a lot of what Doug Yates and Max Jones are doing over there building for continued success. I’m excited to be a part of their future and excited to work with Travis (Kvapil) and David (Gilliland). You look at what Doug and the Ford Motor Company have done in this sport, they’ve created a lot of horsepower and hoisted quite a few trophies over the years. I’d like to help continue that for both of them.” Paul Menard’s Ford Fusion will feature sponsorship from Menards, as well as associate sponsors including: Johns Manville, Super Clean, Quaker State, Pittsburgh Paints, Moen, Sylvania, Energizer, Turtle Wax, Vertis, Peak and Nibco. Yates Racing General Manager Max Jones sees Menard as a fresh addition to his current roster. “Paul is one of those guys I’ve personally been watching for the last two years; I think he’s ready to take the next step in this series and become a driver we hear a lot about on the track in 2009.” While details of Menard’s car design and car number have yet to be finalized, Team principal Doug Yates sees Paul really fitting in at Yates Racing. “It’s a positive addition for us to get a guy like Paul in camp here," said Yates. "He’s been through adversity in his first year in Cup and shown tremendous improvement in his second year. He’s a racer, a guy who likes to be at the shop a lot, from what I understand, and that’s what we like here. Plus, he already has a good relationship with our current drivers, so adding that third source of data should help our entire team rise up.”(Menards Racing/Co-Pilott PR)

So it looks as if Menard will be a 3rd car for Yates. Unless funding cant be found. I'm betting Yates will continue his two cars, somehow!