PCI 300 report

racetrash

Our quick race report. Thrashed the 958 car together at the last moment, was busy getting the spec truck ready for the score race. No test time, which just bugs me to no end, but entered anyway. rear start (sorta) and for the first 15-20 miles just trying to get a feel for the car. front end started banging and botttoming out real bad, carb loading up, shifter just ok, usual no test crap! think i broke some leaves in the front beam and will tear it apart later on, as we have 4 weeks to get the 299 ready for the 1000. graet times at the pit, as I had Wes Welch on one side, and Matt Creveling on the other. Next year looks better! TEST,TEST, TEST!!

Mark Carter 997

Our quick race report. Thrashed the 958 car together at the last moment, was busy getting the spec truck ready for the score race. No test time, which just bugs me to no end, but entered anyway. rear start (sorta) and for the first 15-20 miles just trying to get a feel for the car. front end started banging and botttoming out real bad, carb loading up, shifter just ok, usual no test crap! think i broke some leaves in the front beam and will tear it apart later on, as we have 4 weeks to get the 299 ready for the 1000. graet times at the pit, as I had Wes Welch on one side, and Matt Creveling on the other. Next year looks better! TEST,TEST, TEST!!

Here's my race report.
I had about 25 test miles before and had good results. Made a rookie mistake. I forgot to check the nitrogen on my shocks. They were really low. After the race they were 105 front & 119 rear. Needless to say, the race beat me at every mile. I felt like someone was hitting me with a baseball bat everytime my helmet hit the back of my seat. I rolled at mile 19? The back end kicked up & my car went side to side. Very soft roll. No damage at all (not even a scratch). That was my 1st roll ever. So I'm glad to get that out of the way. I had to run 1/2 mile to find someone to flip me back over. 2 quarts of oil later & I'm racing again. Drove slow through the pits to find my peeps. Every freaken truck looks exactly the same. So I couldn't find them to look over my car. Lesson learned there. Making pit markers for next race so that won't happen again. Mile 29 lost my back tire & wheel. My wheel nut came off. It's a weird feeling watching your rear tire pass you as your car starts to slow down. Harley Young & Matt Depue came out & helped fix the car. From this point on.....no rear brakes & only poor front breaks!!! So my 1st lap was crazy slow. Stopped by main pit to fix my back wheel better. After that I was picking up the speed as best as possible while getting a butt beating. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SHOCKS!! I can't believe how tough my car really is. Mike Depue set it up for me. He's always saying they can take a lot of abuse...man...was he right. My car took hard hard hits & never broke. I honestly thought I broke 5 or 6 times....but no way (maybe I was hoping to broke it & stop the punishment). So lap 2 & 3 went well. No issues until mile 47 on lap 3. No clutch. I thought I burned it up but it was just a loose nut to the clutch slave. Harley (again) helped me out. This race was really brutal for me. All I could think about is Tyler Peterson. I knows he was doing 4 laps & there's NO WAY he's taking this much abuse. Without the proper setup, the car will scramble your egg into nothing. I learned a lot about my car & what to do for next race. Each race I'm driving faster & faster. Seat time is EVERYTHING!! (even if you're taking a beating while doing it). I'm buying a nitrogen kit so this won't happen again. Overall, I'm happy with the race because I learned a lot about my car, got my 1st roll, drove faster than ever before, met a lot of great people that I only have internet connections with (El Mofles 914 awesome peeps), and now I know I have a crazy tough car.
I hope other 9 car drivers will give their race report. I like learning from other peoples mistakes. Making all the mistakes yourself gets too expensive....

Especial thanks to Mike Depue, Matt Depue, the Wizzard, & Harley Young (class 10)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mrmatt

Pete, glad u made it to race! Was great to meet you and hang out. Thank you for all your help getting my car back together so we could finish the race!
Our day was full of bad luck, issues and flats but the killwr was the bent accelerator pump shaft that stuck the throttle wide open and me smashing my back on the last lap. Got xrays and thankfully nothing broken or fractured so should be good to go soon. It was a long 4 laps for me and dad but we made it to the checkers and a few more stories.
Mark...every race i tell.myself that I won't drive all the miles cuz it hurts too much...then...I do anyways. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mrmatt

Forgot to give a big thank you to all the awesome kavemen, kavewomen and kavekids who worked way too hard!

Fourstroker

Ran into Jeff and Jeff out at Pit A. Said they were pitting for you. Good dudes for sure!

ACME

Well one of the Jeff's is okay o_O

One day we'll get it right Matty! Good seeing you Kevin!!!

mrmatt

Yes they are! Tire changing skills were on point too!