• Forum membership has its advantages....

PCI Race Radios banned from LOORRS

sweetdevil

It is with great disappointment that we inform our short course racers that we will not be at the LOORRS race at Wild Horse March 18. As the official radio of the series the last few years, providing support and equipment for almost a decade - it has been very disheartening to not get the respect of a return phone call or email from Ritchie Lewis about our continued support for 2016. I have left messages and sent emails for 4 months with no avail. After months of no response, I was told today that another company will be the official radio and we are essentially banned from providing trackside support and service. We’re appalled at the shady business practices of both of these organizations; we never requested other racer supporting vendors be banned during our tenure.

PCI customer or not – we have helped just about every LOORRS racer at some point. Our crew is very disappointed with LOORRS behavior and bummed we can't be there to support you, our friends and customers on race day.

Want to show us some love? Run a PCI decal on any vehicle at LOORRS Round 1 and we will give you $50 in credit – no matter where you place*. We will also offer free shipping to any LOORS racer for some fresh shields, tear off’s, ear buds or any other last minute items.

As Arizona’s PCI Race Radios Service Center, SDHQ Offroad has decided to not attend the LOORRS races. “We don’t want to support an organization that doesn’t support the industry,” explains Serena Pruett.

Come see SDHQ or Foddrill Motorsports at the Arizona Regional race this weekend, they will have a full PCI inventory and will be able to get you ready for the national later this month. PCI is proud to be the official radio of the Lucas Oil Regional Arizona series for 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Please test out all of your communications and get some spare vehicle parts from SDHQ or Foddrill before the 18th - there won't be many vendors supporting the Nationals.

* Email Maura@pciraceradios.com with the driver of record name and a photo or social media account for us to see the decal and claim your account credit. Must run a PCI decal on both sides of the vehicle, no competing decals.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
While this is one side of the story, I have zero reason to doubt the validity of Rhi's story. This is just mind boggling to me and while it doesn't effect me personally for this situation, it does effect how I will choose to spend my money for my business and for my Rescue teams.

Even if this was 100% a Lucas Oil decision, I am very disappointed in Rugged accepting and agreeing to it. All of our dirt sports, Desert or Short Course have always been up to the consumer / customer to decide who they spend their money with and who's equipment they entrust in their vehicles. It is way to tight of a dysfunctional community to pull this kind of a deal, particularly on a company that has been there for racers in every type of dirt sport for many years.

If this was NASCAR where a particular product sponsor provides 100% of the equipment and not only funds the product but pays teams to have their vehicle display their product name then I could see this as acceptable, but to in theory hand them a monopoly share of something without even a competitive bid process is extremely disappointing. I hope more vendors follow suit with SDHQ and support what has occurred.

I have given Rugged the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion when questionable things have come up but this one I don't support, defend or even comprehend. This is not the way to get business. Let your products, your service and support stand on its merit to garner a client base and a following. Everything positive they are trying to me was just erased.

Rugged has lost me as a customer. Rugged has lost my team members as customers.

Rhi & PCI, - Serena, Dan and SDHQ teams, I am sorry that this happened and will effect your business but I applaud your businesses and the ethics in which you operate them with.

On behalf of Motorsports Safety Solutions,

David Nehrbass

Fourstroker

Some times you just need to call a duck a duck. Bummer for you guys!

NIKAL

Don't be mad at the company that got the contract, as they are just doing what they felt is best for their company. Obviously the PCI contract to be the official Radio of LOORS was up and LOORS went shopping for a better deal. What did PCI do or not do to not be offered the chance at another year? And while PCI might not like the idea that they are not welcome due to Rugged being the offical radio provider, and that PCI never requested that they be when they were the official radio supplier, that's not Rugged's fault. Lucus Oil offered or accepted these terms. PCI could have when they were the official radio providers but did not think about it or chose not to. That's just business, NASCAR, IRL etc all do this with their partners. This is why these companies pay to be the official provider. It gives them exclusivity.

Also just because PCI is not able to give on track support, does not mean racers can't and won't use PCI products. Having companies like SDHQ who carry PCI products, and are still able to at LOORS to me seems like the best way to still support your customers, and have a presents at the track. Yet PCI's theory is to have them pull out too?? Not sure I get that one?

Now with that said, it does sound like poor business and just disrespectful when an Org like LOORS which PCI has been in a partnership with for years will not return your calls, and that only after several months do you find out they signed up with someone else. LOORS management at least offered PCI notice that they would be taking offers or letting them know they would not be offered the opportunity for 2016. So while PCI is appalled at the shady practices of Lucus Oil Off Road Series and it makes since they would be. Why continue to support the Lucus Oil regional series? Aren't both series owned by Lucus Oil?

Mike321

Don't be mad at the company that got the contract, as they are just doing what they felt is best for their company. Obviously the PCI contract to be the official Radio of LOORS was up and LOORS went shopping for a better deal. What did PCI do or not do to not be offered the chance at another year? And while PCI might not like the idea that they are not welcome due to Rugged being the offical radio provider, and that PCI never requested that they be when they were the official radio supplier, that's not Rugged's fault. Lucus Oil offered or accepted these terms. PCI could have when they were the official radio providers but did not think about it or chose not to. That's just business, NASCAR, IRL etc all do this with their partners. This is why these companies pay to be the official provider. It gives them exclusivity.

Also just because PCI is not able to give on track support, does not mean racers can't and won't use PCI products. Having companies like SDHQ who carry PCI products, and are still able to at LOORS to me seems like the best way to still support your customers, and have a presents at the track. Yet PCI's theory is to have them pull out too?? Not sure I get that one?

Now with that said, it does sound like poor business and just disrespectful when an Org like LOORS which PCI has been in a partnership with for years will not return your calls, and that only after several months do you find out they signed up with someone else. LOORS management at least offered PCI notice that they would be taking offers or letting them know they would not be offered the opportunity for 2016. So while PCI is appalled at the shady practices of Lucus Oil Off Road Series and it makes since they would be. Why continue to support the Lucus Oil regional series? Aren't both series owned by Lucus Oil?
Exclusivity gets you left in the desert for a long time by yourself. No more Lucas Oil or Rugged sales from me.

Part of the contract, from what I have heard, was that SDHQ was not allowed to sell PCI at the track. Hence why they pulled out.

NIKAL

Exclusivity gets you left in the desert for a long time by yourself. No more Lucas Oil or Rugged sales from me.
Are you also going to ban BITD and MadMedia's Mint 400? Rugged is the official radio of BITD and is a sponsor of MadMedia's Mint.

You might not like Rugged Radios, but it's these Companies who are accepting Ruggeds money, support and making or allowing these types of contracts to be made.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Are you also going to ban BITD and MadMedia's Mint 400? Rugged is the official radio of BITD and is a sponsor of MadMedia's Mint.

You might not like Rugged Radios, but it's these Companies who are accepting Ruggeds money, support and making or allowing these types of contracts to be made.
BITD does not in anyway make their relationship with Rugged exclusive to anyone other than BITD staff and services. That to me is the difference. If someone is the official provider, great for them- but other vendors are still welcome to attend. KC is the official light provider but every other light provider is still welcome to attend. Polaris is the official UTV, but other manufacturers are still welcome to participate. Ford is the official vehicle , General is the official tire. None of them are exclusively allowed at a series and all are given the same tech and contingency size places to sell service and support any and all racers.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

Slippery P

Sounds like some shady business,
Nikal if you support a business that operates in this fashion, I surely hope I never have to do business with you in what ever it is you do for a living.

I will always be a loyal PCI customer, I prefer my equipment to work when I use it.

Mike321

PCI and SDHQ had trailers at Parker. We made purchases from both of them. If BITD excludes them in the future, then yes -- no more BITD for me.

I'm not gonna try and say that what rugged has done here isn't clever. It is. But it's far from savvy. They thought they were were pretty cute when they swooped the Pci domain name and did their redirect and we all know how well that was received. (Rolls Eyes)

Also SDHQ isn't allowed to sell PCI stuff at the race either.

SDHQ supports the Arizona regional series as a official sponsor along with PCI. Fun fact- there's basically two off road race suppliers here in AZ that have race support programs. SDHQ and FODRILL. And we're both official series sponsors. And we both go to all the races. And we park right across from each other. We send each other customers. And we're friends. That's how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKAL

If PCI & SDHQ want to show LOORS and Rugged that their decision to ban them was a bad decision. I would do exactly what they are doing with running decals and offering product credit to the racers. But I would also show up and set up outside the race park property, or down the street from the entrance or in a parking lot for all to see. I would continue to support the racers and spectators at the event. Only difference is I would not be paying LOORS for it inside their facility, saving me even more money.

If PCI & SDHQ really feel LOORS is doing wrong by excluding them, then don't go down without a fight!

Dan200, I agree about Rugged and the shady deal with the PCI domain name deal awhile back. There's business and being competitive against your competitor, and then their is just being dirty. IMO that was dirty business against a competing business and that was all on Rugged. In this case LOORS is the series writing and accepting the Rugged sponsorship.

Last edited:

Mike321

If PCI & SDHQ want to show LOORS and Rugged that their decision to ban them was a bad decision. I would do exactly what they are doing with running decals and offering product credit to the racers. But I would also show up and set up outside the race park property, or down the street from the entrance or in a parking lot for all to see. I would continue to support the racers and spectators at the event. Only difference is I would not be paying LOORS for it inside their facility, saving me even more money.

If PCI & SDHQ really feel LOORS is doing wrong by excluding them, then don't go down without a fight!

Dan200, I agree about Rugged and the shady deal with the PCI domain name deal awhile back. There's business and being competitive against your competitor, and then their is just being dirty. IMO that was dirty business against a competing business and that was all on Rugged. In this case LOORS is the series writing and accepting the Rugged sponsorship.
Consumers can also vote with their wallet. I hope it is a long time before I see a Rugged ad on this site.

Ha, well The shop is exactly 14 miles from the track for the season opener this year and the season opener is probably the busiest event for radio stuff. The Lucas staff needs to all be working correctly with their coms and so do the racers and most importantly the safety workers need their coms on point. I have a feeling we're gonna be busy.

PCI is very much like family to me. In fact, with my travel schedule I probably broke bread with the weatherman as many times as I have with my Mom last year.

Rugged uses shady tactics to try and gain market share. Is it legal? Well the cyber squatting wasn't but this exclusive deal is. But, like before, this will blow up in their faces. The support from social media has been pretty big already.

PCI has never directly attacked rugged. I can't fault Rugged for being aggressive with their marketing though. I mean, if they wanna go gung ho making themselves look like turds then I am more than happy to watch them do it.

Last edited:

Mike321

Ha, well The shop is exactly 14 miles from the track for the season opener this year and the season opener is probably the busiest event for radio stuff. The Lucas staff needs to all be working correctly with their coms and so do the racers and most importantly the safety workers need their coms on point. I have a feeling we're gonna be busy.

Post a map!