PCI Race Radios banned from LOORRS

sweetdevil

This wasn't meant to be a "who do you like better" thread and I really don't want it hijacked that way. This was to let our racers know why we won't be at the nationals and express my discontent about an exclusive trackside agreement, which is ridiculous and only hurts the racers. I don't know who initiated it, but I was told they have requested it from other sanctioning bodies and been denied in the past.

It's a free market - as it should be. Let your service and products dictate your customer base, not a backwards organization that won't let you drink a can of Monster in the pits! (sarcasm, but it is silly that we go to 60 events per year and had to remove our Go Pro's when we were at nationals. I mean really???)

We are so incredibly busy we can't keep up right now, there is obviously plenty of pie to go around - I don't know why some think having a successful business means others can't too. A little competition is good for the marketplace.

punchdrunk monkey

If the radio don't fit, you must acquit...

pciscott

We did not start this thread with the intention to bash a competitor more just to let our customers know why we would not be at the next Lucas Oil Race to support their racing efforts. We appreciate those that choose PCI Race Radios and we will always work hard to support you after the sale. Please let the negativity go!

J.COLEMAN

its business and there is competition in business. Ever been to a ballpark or football game and they only serve coke products or one type of beer...

Rugged (obviously that's who we are talking about since that is truly PCI's competition) works hard too and will support you. Just because they haven't been around as long doesn't mean they don't support this industry and others because they do. They are working hard to earn your business and since PCI had a monopoly on the industry for so long todays market takes new marketing ideas.

For me Rugged has helped elevate our program and promote us very much via online campaigns, giveaways, Free hero cards etc. They have a small army of skilled marketing people working hard to promote Rugged and their associated team. Their customer service is exceptional and that is what I was told when I asked around prior to making the switch to them. My point is don't hate until you actually hear the other side of the story because there are always two sides and it seems that the only side that ever wants to air out online is well.... not Rugged. Rugged just keeps plugging along working hard and you never hear them complain about PCI market share because they aren't focused on that.

PCI has been around forever so most likely they have helped us all at one time or another...I even spent many hours volunteering my time to help prep Scotts TT. So I don't have hard feelings against them, if I needed something I know they would help and that goes both way with both companies.
I agree this should not be a bashing thread however everytime one of these threads is posted this is how it is interpreted... so perhaps these things should just be handled differently if you truly don't want to bash the other because that's what it turns into...

pdailey

Racer
its business and there is competition in business. Ever been to a ballpark or football game and they only serve coke products or one type of beer...

Rugged (obviously that's who we are talking about since that is truly PCI's competition) works hard too and will support you. Just because they haven't been around as long doesn't mean they don't support this industry and others because they do. They are working hard to earn your business and since PCI had a monopoly on the industry for so long todays market takes new marketing ideas.

For me Rugged has helped elevate our program and promote us very much via online campaigns, giveaways, Free hero cards etc. They have a small army of skilled marketing people working hard to promote Rugged and their associated team. Their customer service is exceptional and that is what I was told when I asked around prior to making the switch to them. My point is don't hate until you actually hear the other side of the story because there are always two sides and it seems that the only side that ever wants to air out online is well.... not Rugged. Rugged just keeps plugging along working hard and you never hear them complain about PCI market share because they aren't focused on that.

PCI has been around forever so most likely they have helped us all at one time or another...I even spent many hours volunteering my time to help prep Scotts TT. So I don't have hard feelings against them, if I needed something I know they would help and that goes both way with both companies.
I agree this should not be a bashing thread however everytime one of these threads is posted this is how it is interpreted... so perhaps these things should just be handled differently if you truly don't want to bash the other because that's what it turns into...
If they don't care about PCI's market share than why have them banned from Lucas Oil races? I'll bet good money they tried to do this at BITD too but Casey didn't let them.

J.COLEMAN

If they don't care about PCI's market share than why have them banned from Lucas Oil races? I'll bet good money they tried to do this at BITD too but Casey didn't let them.
For the record, from Rugged themselves: Rugged has never been allowed to attend Lucas races, ever. (1 race last year PCI couldn't make so since Rugged was a track sponsor where the race was taking place they allowed them to come but that was the only time) A rugged dealer even had a rugged banner up at a Loors event and were asked to take it down.

So no one was mad that Rugged couldn't come and now Rugged has the contract and everyone can't contain themselves since the rules are reversed.

This is a Lucas thing not something Rugged came up with to conspire against PCI.

Bro_Gill

"This is a Lucas thing not something Rugged came up with to conspire against PCI."

Regards of where it came from, it is still wrong AND un-American! Let the consumer make up their mind.

J.COLEMAN

"This is a Lucas thing not something Rugged came up with to conspire against PCI."

Regards of where it came from, it is still wrong AND un-American! Let the consumer make up their mind.
If you go to Costco or the grocery store or a sporting event 1,000 of companies pay to be your only or limited choice... that's called marketing and its how life works.

Dirty Harry

Rugged just keeps plugging along working hard and you never hear them complain about PCI market share because they aren't focused on that.
That all sounds great except for the fact that they specified that PCI cannot come to races. Oh and the time they were plugging along and bought PCI's domain name and redirected it to their site...

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

nohandslance

Will our radio frequencies remain the same between the two companies..?

Bro_Gill

If you go to Costco or the grocery store or a sporting event 1,000 of companies pay to be your only or limited choice... that's called marketing and its how life works.
And that is a failure of our leaders and Gov't. See, the Constitution and various other pieces of paper written through the years protected the idea of competition because the leaders felt it was better for the populace to have choices. What has happened overall in this country is no different than what has happened in this micro economic radio play- One company has used payola to prevent competition from entering the scene. The Mafia used to use payola among other things to prevent competitors from entering their business world. And they went to prison for it.

TJERGENSEN

This is nothing new . Look at Tecate and Pacifico, Budweiser and Coors, Budweiser won't let any micro brewery be at an event if the promoter wants them there.

motoxscott

Going off what I've read and heard .... just like everyone else here ...

When PCI was the "Official Radio" Rugged was not allowed to attend.

Now Rugged is the "Official Radio" and PCI is not allowed to attend.

So why is keeping a company out only a problem today and not in the past? Am I missing something?

I don't agree with that policy personally, but I'm not the promoter. The promoter sets the rules/contracts and enforces them, not the vendors/sponsors. I have a problem with either company not being able to be involved and it sounds like they have been on both sides of the fence now. If you don't like the rules you move into another sandbox. If someone doesn't agree with how SCORE operates they can go race with BITD or SNORE and vice versa.

I support PCI and Rugged and have friends that work at both companies. Our industry needs both because it brings better service to all of us and grows the sport. If Trophylite was the only company able to sell 6100 trucks like it started as, the class would not be where it is today with 35+ entries at the Mint. One company/supplier isn't and will never be enough for any aspect.

I was happier once Coors Light was allowed at Angel Stadium, even though I fully enjoyed the Bud Light they had prior when Coors wasn't allowed, I knew Coors Light was readily available at my next outing so I didn't sweat the slight intermission.

Just my 2 cents ...

- Scott

Last edited:

Jangaard

This is nothing new . Look at Tecate and Pacifico, Budweiser and Coors, Budweiser won't let any micro brewery be at an event if the promoter wants them there.
I think the big difference is that what beer is advertised or drank does not affect the racer. Let's say I am a team that uses BFG exclusively in Baja to support me. BFG is part of my team. If SCORE said next year that Randy's Tire is the exclusive tire of SCORE and BFG can no longer come to the races, that would be devastating.

I think that this radio thing fringes on the same thing.

It starts with radios then goes to:

Two day race..... " darn I need a widget for my transmission, " I can't find the manufacturer because they were outlawed from coming to support the racers because they are not the official transmission of the series.

This would be horrible.

" I need a shield for my x brand helmet" Sorry! no one can sell x brand products because Simpson is the official brand of the series.

If never ends.

Jimmy8

Playing devil's advocate here...

There are exclusive tire suppliers, radio suppliers, engine suppliers, wheel suppliers, and auto manufacturers across the globe in every form of motorsport. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what Lucas did, but it's not like they are doing something completely unheard of. Hell truth be told, everyone's favorite blind loyalty tire company BFGoodrich just did the same thing in GRC and got Yokohama ousted as the official/exclusive tire and Yoko had poured hundreds of thousands into offseason testing for their tire that they now have zero use for.

I know PCI well, and I know they didn't want this thread to turn in to what it did.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Who's to say that was Lucas Oils decision? To my Knowledge Rugged was not allowed to attend L/O events when PCI was the L/O supplier.
I was going to say the same thing. There was more than 1 short course race I would take my family to go enjoy and on the side of the road was a Rugged van helping customers. I rolled down my window and the guy gave my kids some mexico money (steekers) and said only PCI is allowed inside the venu. He didn't bash them, just told us to enjoy the race.
I seen it with my own 2 eyes......