Pencil or Euro Beam?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I am going to be running four Hella 4000 (non-HID) on the top of my cab, and I wanted your opinon on how many of each beam to run, and were to put them. I was thinking two pencil beams in the middle with two euro beams on the outside.

What do the race teams run? What is everyones opinion?

Thanks a lot,
Jason

jeff

Reaction
From my own experience the pencil beams are far too focused to be of much use. I think the lighting depends more on the driver preference than hard core scientific evidence of which works better. The biggest problem I can remember running the pencil beam is even the slightest amount of adjustment from a bush, branch, or other object can make them totally useless whereas the euro beam can get whacked around and still throw some light on the road. How fast will you be going? If you aren't running 100mph the need to see two or three miles down range is less important - to me.

Aloha

pciscott

Reaction
Euro only is what I like. The pencils leave big hot spots. My experience is only with the HID light.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

singlehanded

Reaction
It looks like you already have 4 big lights on your bumper, are you gonna put four more on the top or is it for a different truck. 8- 8inch light I would think might be overkill.....

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Adjsutable beam Light Forces :) We jsut got the HIDs but the regulars are awesome too. Completely adjustable from pencil to flood with assorted color filters too.

www.dmsrace.com
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

drtdevil93

Reaction
i like the euros, they give you a nice pencil, with a good flooding around it. very good visibility.

erik

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I'm going to be taking those 4 lights on my bumper off. I don't think i need 800W of lights playing around in the desert :).

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
whats the output on those adjustable light forces and how much do they cost? How do they compare to the hellas?

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Jason, use 4 euro beams on the roof and 2 cornering (floods)beams on the bumper. Nothing beats the hella 4000 lights!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Thanks for everyones inputs, it seems that 4 Euro are the the best option. Maybe when I start going 100 mph in the Baja I'll get a pencil beam :)

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
And you dont plan on going 100MPH????? Oh wait these lights are for pavement pounding :)

heheh you know we love ya Jason :)

Go Big Or Go Home

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
And we wonder why the quality of posts is lacking lately. Its all Austin's fault! :)

By the way, when your truck's nickname is "The Piece", you can't talk smack :)

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I'd run 3 Euros and 1 Cornering/Fog or perhaps 2 Euros and 2 Cornering Fog. Maybe even 2 Euros, 1 Cornering/Fog, 1 Pencile.
-Chris

2000 v6 4x4 TRD 5-Speed Tacoma

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Why are you moving your lights to the roof of your truck? I always thought it was better to have your lights mounted on your bumper as with them being lower you get the reflection off the dirt and it increases the scope of vision. With them on your roof, don't you get the reflection off your hood? BTW, it looks like you have a really nice bumper/lightbar. You build that?

See ya in the dirt!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I think either location will serve its purpose. I think ideally like Jerry mentioned would be to have lights on top of your cab and your bumper, I just can't afford to have 6 4000's. Maybe run the 4 4000's on the top and run smaller cornering lights on my bumper down the road. As for the bumper, it was built by MXC Motorsports.

Jack

Reaction
Yes, distant lights on top and floods on bumper. Make sure the ones on top are far enough back so they can't shin on the hood, it will be in the shadow of the cab, also nothing bright on the bumper, if you can see the back of the bumper lights they need rims around the lens so you don't have the light reflecting off the lens around the light back at you.