• Forum membership has its advantages....

Personal Tracking

punchdrunk monkey

What are the options for personal tracking devices? I want to get something for the Baja4000 so family can see where we are going. I know of Spot and I've looked into it (device+$100 or $200/year). Are there other options/devices that can be recommended?

Team Todo En

If you're looking for a unit to purchase, I bought a DeLorme InReach Explorer for the NORRA 1000 and it worked very well. The plan I chose pings every 10 mins. It's got a good battery life and they offer a plan to pay only for the months you use it. I've seen them on sale at Cabela's for around $329 I think.

Baja Tracking

The InReach devices are great for letting friends and family at home know where you're at. With Baja Tracking we do a live map as well, but the real advantage is that our system automatically generates a message from your race vehicle to your chase vehicles letting them know your race mile and current speed. If you ever have a problem during the race you can message back and forth with your team using any smart phone, laptop or tablet. You can also text people back in the States. All of this is done through the iridium satellite network so there is no cell service needed. It's a great system to have. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike321

Leadnavsystems The next level in tracking.
I don't think LeadNav does tracking -- isn't it a navigation app for Apple devices?

I would not recommend SPOT Connect -- worked great prior to iPhone 6, but it is really unreliable now using an iPhone. Bluetooth connectivity is way more miss than hit. We have two. Mine worked 1/4 of the NORRA trip, the other worked 0.

Ruesch 25

We just purchased 6 LeadNav GPS systems and they do not have tracking yet! Was hoping they would partner with YBK for the tracking and that they could write the tracking code into LeadNav but that is still pretty far away. It would cost about 30K according to the LeadNav folks. We will be testing the LeadNav pre Running the 500 keep you posted. JPU 125

punchdrunk monkey

Mike321- I believe the SPOT Trace is more of a thief type device. I don't know how it works, if it relys on your phone service. The SPOT tracker is satellite based.

Thanks for all the input so far. This is for a one time deal for me, so I am looking for something inexpensive.

Mike321

Mike321- I believe the SPOT Trace is more of a thief type device. I don't know how it works, if it relys on your phone service. The SPOT tracker is satellite based.

Thanks for all the input so far. This is for a one time deal for me, so I am looking for something inexpensive.
I'm unfamiliar with SPOT Trace. The SPOT Connect does communicate via satellite, but it relies on an app to perform many of the functions (I use an iPhone): start/stop tracking, sending text messages, etc are all performed through the app. It is virtually useless if the phone and SPOT Connect can't pair via Bluetooth.

The inability to pair is what I've been running into.

Zambo

I'm unfamiliar with SPOT Trace. The SPOT Connect does communicate via satellite, but it relies on an app to perform many of the functions (I use an iPhone): start/stop tracking, sending text messages, etc are all performed through the app. It is virtually useless if the phone and SPOT Connect can't pair via Bluetooth.

The inability to pair is what I've been running into.
I wonder if your firmware is up to date on the SPOT. As your phone evolves with updated iOS versions, I'd imagine the firmware in the SPOT needs to be updated as well. I had problems with the firmware in some of our stuff at the last race and it kept us from maintaining the required connections for our comm devices to work correctly.
SPOT Firmware Updater

Mike321

I wonder if your firmware is up to date on the SPOT. As your phone evolves with updated iOS versions, I'd imagine the firmware in the SPOT needs to be updated as well. I had problems with the firmware in some of our stuff at the last race and it kept us from maintaining the required connections for our comm devices to work correctly.
SPOT Firmware Updater
Thanks, Zambo. I ran is prior to NORRA -- it had the latest firmware already on it. It has been awhile since SPOT has made changes to the firmware for the Connect. I have a ticket open with SPOT to see if they can help get it to work -- so far, no luck.

Mike321

Update on my end -- The SPOT team determined that their SPOT Connect and iPhone 6 don't play well together. They have no plans on a firmware upgrade to support iPhone 6 or greater.

They recommended their newer device that does not support messaging to the degree that I wanted. I am planning on replacing the SPOT Connect with a DeLorme InReach -- haven't decided on which model yet.

redline

We have been using the delorme inreach system for awhile now and it works pretty bitchen when you use the team tracker. The entire group can see where everyone is, what speed they're moving, send text messages back and forth, send text to any other cell phone-email-sat phone- or even Twitter and Facebook.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Mike321

We have been using the delorme inreach system for awhile now and it works pretty bitchen when you use the team tracker. The entire group can see where everyone is, what speed they're moving, send text messages back and forth, send text to any other cell phone-email-sat phone- or even Twitter and Facebook.
Is there a certain model that allows this function? Can InReach #1 send another message to InReach #2? Or can you only send messages to non-InReach devices?

Baja Tracking

I'm very familiar with the Delorme InReach, it's a great unit but there are better systems for our sport... Obviously I'm biased but I'd say the Baja Tracking ROMTraX device is that system. Let talk facts, the good and the bad. For what you want you need the InReach explorer ($379.95 but possible to find on sale), there is a $24.95 yearly fee for each unit, but this allows you to suspend and use only the months you need it. The expedition plan for unlimited texting (which is a great feature) is $64.95 per unit. Now you say it lets you see where everyone is at, well that's only a half truth. The whole truth is that it lets someone at home sitting at a computer see where everyone is at through their map share. The unlimited messaging is nice because someone at home can send position reports as often as they're like... All throughout the day... And night... Just sitting there, sending updates "BORING". And then you have to realize that those reports might not be accurate unless your friend at home is a computer genius and can overlay the race course onto the InReach maping program. You will literally have to convert gps coordinated onto a different map that has the course to actually see the race mile your at. Now, $64.95 x 2 is $129.90 for the service, we charge $140 to activate the first two units for a race like the Baja 500. This gives you automatic 10 minute updates from your race vehicle DIRECTLY to your chase vehicle. No middle man. Don't you think that's worth the extra $11.10. Plus if your adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th race vehicle you'd be paying $64.95 for each InReach when we charge $45 for each additional vehicle. No yearly fee's, no middleman. We also charge $375 flat for the first two units and $399 for additional units... However if you mention this post I'll get you set up with $375 units across the board. Also check out our other thread "Ready for the Baja 500" and see the info on our easy to use virtual buttons.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
^^^ Mic drop - I'll be calling you soon.

dezert_nerd

I'm very familiar with the Delorme InReach, it's a great unit but there are better systems for our sport... Obviously I'm biased but I'd say the Baja Tracking ROMTraX device is that system. Let talk facts, the good and the bad. For what you want you need the InReach explorer ($379.95 but possible to find on sale), there is a $24.95 yearly fee for each unit, but this allows you to suspend and use only the months you need it. The expedition plan for unlimited texting (which is a great feature) is $64.95 per unit. Now you say it lets you see where everyone is at, well that's only a half truth. The whole truth is that it lets someone at home sitting at a computer see where everyone is at through their map share. The unlimited messaging is nice because someone at home can send position reports as often as they're like... All throughout the day... And night... Just sitting there, sending updates "BORING". And then you have to realize that those reports might not be accurate unless your friend at home is a computer genius and can overlay the race course onto the InReach maping program. You will literally have to convert gps coordinated onto a different map that has the course to actually see the race mile your at. Now, $64.95 x 2 is $129.90 for the service, we charge $140 to activate the first two units for a race like the Baja 500. This gives you automatic 10 minute updates from your race vehicle DIRECTLY to your chase vehicle. No middle man. Don't you think that's worth the extra $11.10. Plus if your adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th race vehicle you'd be paying $64.95 for each InReach when we charge $45 for each additional vehicle. No yearly fee's, no middleman. We also charge $375 flat for the first two units and $399 for additional units... However if you mention this post I'll get you set up with $375 units across the board. Also check out our other thread "Ready for the Baja 500" and see the info on our easy to use virtual buttons.
Do you offer a package together for Vegas 2 Reno? And will these work for the bikes?

Baja Tracking

Yes and Yes.
Below is the general price list, so if you're doing any race with any series you'll have an idea of the tracking price. On a bike the unit needs to be hard wired to 12v. Also ROMTraX weighs a 1/2 pound just FYI.

San Felipe 250: $110 for Race and Chase1, $40 for Chase 2,3,4 etc.
Baja 500 / V2R: $140 for Race and Chase1, $45 for Chase 2,3,4 etc.
Baja 1000: $165 for Race and Chase1, $50 for Chase 2,3,4 etc.
NORRA 1000 (4 days of racing): $189.50 Race and Chase1, $64.50 for Chase 2,3,4 etc.

We are also an official SCORE contingent sponsor and give $300 of service credit for 1st and $150 for 2nd. Billy Wilson in Trophy Truck, Paul Brought TT Spec, and Pete Sohren in Class 7 each won 1st at San Felipe and will be getting tracking for the 500 free.

David 801-836-5198

Anger Issues

I have a SPOT Gen 3 tracker and have never had a problem with it. It is probably the cheapest way to get into this tracking business but it does have some limitations...

For me, the ability to send "checking in" messages and other-PRE programmed messages is a huge relief to those back home. I use it in Baja, for elk hunting, and even fishing in the ocean if I want.

It is very important to let someone know exactly how this system works, however. If someone keeps getting the same message from you, they might get worried if they don't know you can't change it. I wish there were more pre-programmed messages, and TRUE texting would be awesome, but this unit is cheap and simple. It also does have bread-crumb tracking by various minute increments, but frankly I've never used it. I just clamp this thing to a backpack or whatever and "check-in" from time-to-time.

You can get them on-sale and during the holidays I think they are really cheap if not free with a paid plan. I keep my plan active all year and don't see that changing anytime soon. It's a great piece of mind knowing you can reach someone if there is a problem.

Also, I have the full SOS insurance and they say they will activate their world-wide GEOS rescue team if they receive an SOS from you. The two important buttons are covered to prevent accidental use.

One last thing, I decided to remind my gal at home that a possible "SOS" might be for another injured racer or friend... not necessarily me, so if I ever have to use it, don't assume it is my life in danger.

that is my two cents!