Personalized License Plates

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Well after spending too long in a DMV line to get some problems in order, they wanted me to stand in another line to get new license plates for my truck! Well I said to hell with that, I will pay for some personalized so I can take care of it at AAA. Well I was online checking what was available and found out this BS. I know lots of us ahve personal plates but did you know that every year when you renew your plates you are paying into a Environmentalist License Plate fund regardless of which type of personal plates you have(firefighter, Tahoe, Yosemite, Kids, etc...), which really pissed me off becasue now unless I want to add to the fund I have to go back to the hell hole DMV. Hopefully somebody can explain this in a different way so I can go ahead and not feel guilty for buying custom plates.

This is straight from the DMV site.

"By purchasing from the Department of Motor Vehicles an environmental license plate[any personal plate] - an official California plate displaying letters and numbers that you choose, such as your name, favorite sports team, or other message - you can proudly make a clever statement to others on the road, while also helping to fund top priority natural resource programs.
For over a quarter century, Californians have done just that and, as a result, have generously - and voluntarily - provided over $500 million for important environmental and natural resource programs.

The wide variety of programs and activities throughout California that benefit from the revenues generated include:

the protection of threatened and endangered plants and animals;
the enhancement and restoration of fish and wildlife habitat at key locations around the state;
the purchase and restoration of sensitive natural areas for the California State Park System and for local and regional parks;
the reduction of soil erosion and the discharge of sediment into Lake Tahoe, including the restoration of disturbed wetlands and sensitive stream areas;
a wide variety of environmental education programs that actively involve schools, wildlife areas, community groups, and other public and private partners across California.[reads, areas we like to have fun at]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any California driver can make their contribution to these important environmental efforts by obtaining an environmental license plate. This is done when one registers, re-registers, or transfers the registration of a car, truck, motorcycle, or trailer with the Department of Motor Vehicles. You simply indicate your desire to get an official environmental license plate.

In addition to the routine costs of registration, the following costs apply to environmental license plates:

First time for personalized plate - $41
Renewal of current personalized plate - $25
Duplicate plates (both front and back of vehicle) - $31
Transfer (existing environmental license plate to a different vehicle) - $20
Drivers who already have an environmental license plate on their car, truck, or trailer can go one step further for California's natural resources by obtaining one of the State's beautiful environmental special interest license plates. By doing so, one's personal message can appear in the unique and picturesque setting of one of the specialty plates, such as Yosemite and Lake Tahoe.
To locate the nearest office of the Department of Motor Vehicles, click on the preceding link or consult the "California State Government" pages of your telephone book.

The Environmental License Plate Program is a cooperative effort between the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Resources Agency, and the California Legislature. The program was first created under the Marks-Badham Environmental Protection and Research Act of 1970. Since 1979, authority for the allocation of Environmental License Plate revenues for projects and activities consistent with the environmental purposes of the law has rested with the Secretary for Resources.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

Ryno

Reaction
Kris-

When I was a firefighter, I had the specialized plates. I paid the extra $25 bucks, and just said "Oh well". There are some things that you just have to choose. I chose to have the plates, and not get hassled by any cops for 5 years. I seriously doubt that the funds go to a private organization...rather they would go to a state fund for activites, trails, cleanup, etc. Remember, the state wants to have outdoor rec. places open, it's the eco terrorists, and Boxer and Feinstein we are fighting.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Catman

Reaction
I hate to throw gas on the fire guys, but...several years ago I can remember an article printed in a dirt bike related magazine, about all of the camping gear manufacturers that contribute heavily to the ECO FREAKS. The most recent one I can remember, is CamelBack. I purchased one of their drinking systems. And to my horror inside the labeling, it talked about how they contribute to environmentalists who don't want me to ride. I don't need the damn thing for yard work. Anyway, it would be beneficial to all of us if some how we could print lists of manufacturers/distributors who contribute to these ECO FREAKS.

Just my .02

1992f150

Reaction
Just because the funds go to the Govt and not directly to the ecos, doesnt mean crap. I dont know how many of you guys are hunters/fishermen but about 2 years ago there was a big scandal with the same type of situation. When you buy alot of products, say ammo, guns, fishing line, rods, reels, etc... there is a 10% tax thats supposed to go to programs that help the wildlife (stocking trout, habitat clean up, etc...) [Dingell-Johnson act of 1950 & Pittman-Robertson act of 1937] Turns out they have been totally wasting billions of dollars, spending on things and not recording what the money was spent on, etc...
There was a big article on this in Outdoor Life, also here is a link to a shorter one: http://www.radiks.net/~swagle/betraytrust.html

Ever done a burnout on a dead chicken?

DPpatrol

Reaction
You know just because the money is going to help the environment doesn't mean all the money is going to close desert land, in fact very little of it most likely is. Most off the desert land in debate over closure is federally owned. That is why it is a BLM issue (BLM is part of the Department of Interior, which is federal bureaucracy). The DMV is state bureaucracy, so the money taken from registration I would assume goes to state owned land, most of which, with the exception of Occotillo, already is closed to OHV or is open for very limited use. I personally am glad some of that money is going to the environment. I for one like clean air, unpolluted water, and healthy landscapes.

jason

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I would but mine are hammered and I am not waiting in another DMV line.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Why is it that whenever there is something out there that could benefit the environment, everybody (well almost everybody) in here jumps all over it and says that it is going to screw us off-roaders? Not every pro-environmet action, fundraiser, legislation, tax of fee is going to affect our ability to use the desert. Don't people in here care about the environment at all? Don't you guys (and gals) do anything other than go to the desert i.e. surf, snowboard, mountain bike, dive, run, skate, hang out at the beach etc? You all use the environment much more than you know and with out a clean environment, we will all be screwed! I know there are a lot of envirofreaks out there who want to save/protect every last plant and insect, but we have got to learn to work together. I some times get the feeling that we (off-roaders and environmentalists) are like the PLO and the Jews constantly battling it out because no one wants to give an inch! We could all get a lot more accomplished if we could just work together. For example, I know the BLM would be a lot more receptive to off-roaders if the environmentalist were on our side or at least supported us!

P.S. You can send your hate mail directly to me! :)

scott

Reaction
In your reply you replied it to me..... so if you read my post I said don't send the state anymore $$$$$ period. This state makes enough $$$$ on smog laws and other forms of bullcrap from us....

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I have personally emailed many enviro peeps from the sierra club to be specific, about coexistance in the desert and elsewhere. Guess how many replies I recieved? 0 bro...I have also witnessed our areas be taken away from us under the guise of the endangered species act. So your not gonna get any hate mail but we gotta be realistic in what we are dealing with. Get involved, protect your right to ride and do not abuse our land.....ok, Im done....Lol

Speed Safely

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Hi Kris, I have a few vehicles still with Cali. plates on them for the one reason! SMOG. I live in Laaaas Vegas and here they smog everything from 1968 on up EVERY year! Now that sucks big time! I just got find a way around that.....most of the vehicles are bugs and two race vehicles. I also have personal plate......anyway I think your are going to the wrong DMV and you got to make a few friends there! I walk in WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT and get called up with in a minute! All my problems are taking care of. Sure it may cost me a lunch for one of the young ladies or flowers for the DMV office. But I'm out of there in a half hour total! Yes, I have have friends there and it's taking me a few years to do this and I enjoy going to DMV! Infact I look forward to go the next time and so do they! Make it work for you! A flower dose wonders, use their first name, smile make them remember you! Think about it....Works for me. SEE YA IN DMV!