PEUGEOT 3008 DKR

blue dog

They do there homework.

crazyeye

They look dialed! Looks like everyone will be racing for 2nd or 3rd.

200MPHTape

Robby is lucky he's not racing Dakar 2017(he would get his ars handed, worse), those things look way more shock tuned then last year, with the drivers in Peugeot stable, whose going to be the water carrier?

Ferrari333SP

In what ways could you improve a TT, within today's rules? Is 4wd allowed? Restriction on motor size/configuration/power levels? If Peugeot decided to make a proper TT, where would we see the most improvements, over a normal Baja TT truck?

GEO_DXB

If Peugeot decided to make a proper TT, where would we see the most improvements, over a normal Baja TT truck?
Size and weight shaving. Fully closed aircon cab. Advanced materials - carbon, titanium widely used. Advanced electronics (which are used in US too, but to a lesser extent). Lighter wheels (not smaller in size, but dont see more than 37s used anyways). Sequential gearboxes. Peugeot has a really advanced system with some probes installed for suspension that help reduce car swerve at braking and hard starts. They would probably have a pretty advanced navigation too if that is possible with the rules.

mattj112

If a TT team could have the budget of around 10-20 million to develop a car that could compete with a factory back like Peugeot or Xraid mini and Toyota they could have change. You have got look at the technology in TT truck and compare to rally raid buggy or 4wd car they two different types car. One is big V8 and off racing automatic gearbox in most of cars and the another full close cab with modern engine with turbo.

Peugeot took some technology they use in Le mans program and applied to rally raid that one reason why very quick in very small about time they have been rally raid. It come do to how much money you spend in developing car and win a event to then sale brand name around the world or just building that fit rules and been in middle of field.

Dirty Harry

In what ways could you improve a TT, within today's rules? Is 4wd allowed? Restriction on motor size/configuration/power levels? If Peugeot decided to make a proper TT, where would we see the most improvements, over a normal Baja TT truck?
TTs are amazing in the rough, we all love the videos of them doing 100 mph over whoops. I think that there is a lot of room on the table though for improved handling in tight terrain.

They still use big displacement V8 engines, a TH400 transmission, and weigh over 6000 pounds. With a nearly unlimited budget I could see a lighter vehicle with a sequential transmission and 4WD with advanced traction control like has previously been developed in F1.

I think All German Motorsports was on the right track with their TT but it never really panned out and I don't blame them for wanting to spend more money to prove it. Remember that the first year the Peugeot was at Dakar it was a dud, but they used everything they learned (and a ton of cash) to come back and win the next year.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

mattj112

You also got at running team cost in having a support truck T5 or support 4x4 utility vehicle and support crew in terms of flights, hotel fees and fuel cost. Now Most rally raid in world cup terms happen European, Mid-East and northern Africa so American team base in northern America it could cost a lot of money shipping vehicle to and from America if team hasn't got available to rent a workshop in European.

Dirty Harry

If you look at the top TT teams, even if they have an energy drink logo on their truck they are still spending a lot of money out of pocket. Their are privateers at Dakar, but they are not competitive for the overall win. This is a huge part of Robby's appeal, he is taking on giants while spending just a small fraction of what Mini or Peugeot spends. I don't think that TT drivers want to spend 5x their currently yearly budget to come in 20th at Dakar. They need sponsors to foot the bill.

I think that more American teams are not competing because sponsors don't see the value in the United States. Getting to South America from the US is cheaper and easier than getting to Northern Africa, but teams still are not competing. Conversely, the biggest Dakar teams come to South America from Europe to compete, and as you said they aren't just bringing race cars but complete support crews as well. But for them it makes sense because so many motorsports enthusiasts in Europe follow the Dakar Rally, which unfortunately is not the case (yet?) in North America.

Short Bus

Ford officially announced today they will be offering a 3.0l diesel in their F150 in the 2018 model year. It is supposed to be a variant of the AJD -V6 "Lion" which Ford and PSA (Puegoet/Citreon) deveolped. It is the engine used in the Pug Dakar cars. I would be surprised if the 3.0 didn't make it way into other worldwide Ford products like the Ranger and Transit.

Ford has a massive marketing fund for their trucks. If I was a racer that had any interest in Dakar I'd be putting together a proposal and trying to get it in front of anyone and everyone at Ford.

JPBart

With Ford doing a lot more turbo stuff the new Dakar rule for turbo/gas might be interesting to them. As a truck buyer I have a hard time taking a twin turbo v6 seriously as a truck engine even though I have heard they are great. If they put it out there racing in a truck it might earn my respect and consideration in a future purchase

mrlentle

Ford officially announced today they will be offering a 3.0l diesel in their F150 in the 2018 model year. It is supposed to be a variant of the AJD -V6 "Lion" which Ford and PSA (Puegoet/Citreon) deveolped. It is the engine used in the Pug Dakar cars. I would be surprised if the 3.0 didn't make it way into other worldwide Ford products like the Ranger and Transit.

Ford has a massive marketing fund for their trucks. If I was a racer that had any interest in Dakar I'd be putting together a proposal and trying to get it in front of anyone and everyone at Ford.
We currently have the Rangers here in NZ. They run a 3.2 5 cylinder diesel (P5AT) and go very well. Not sure though if they're a PSA/Ford development or a true Ford only engine.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Any guess on the O.D. of the tires that the Pugs are running? In inches would be preferable. Thanks in advance.