• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pikes Peak 1965, Fritz Wilson

Don Wilson

Hello members,
Looking for anyone that remembers or information regarding Fritz Wilson's run up Pikes Peak in 1965. Cousin Scott (Fritz's son) says he raced a blue, 65 Plymouth Bellevedere that he got from Richard Petty the year before and placed second. Someone else says he raced a 64 Ford. Any help would surely be appreciated. I'm trying to do a dedication poster and the details need to be accurate. Thanks in advance.

Class3Fan

Hello members,
Looking for anyone that remembers or information regarding Fritz Wilson's run up Pikes Peak in 1965. Cousin Scott (Fritz's son) says he raced a blue, 65 Plymouth Bellevedere that he got from Richard Petty the year before and placed second. Someone else says he raced a 64 Ford. Any help would surely be appreciated. I'm trying to do a dedication poster and the details need to be accurate. Thanks in advance.
I've got a number of nice photos from those years ... do you have a car number?

Class3Fan

I've got one shot, taken my uncle, Jim Vaughan, in 1964 -- Fritz Wilson at Brown Bush Corner. That's my grandfather's Jeep utility wagon in the background. Enjoy!
64 Fritz Wilson.jpg

Don Wilson

Wow! People are going to be excited about this. The picture is beautiful just like it is. I'm assuming you don't mind if I share this with cousin Scott? I'll give you credit for the picture and tell him about your generosity He'll be so excited. He just finished building the dedication car I have pictured. Thank you so much!.

Class3Fan

Wow! People are going to be excited about this. The picture is beautiful just like it is. I'm assuming you don't mind if I share this with cousin Scott? I'll give you credit for the picture and tell him about your generosity He'll be so excited. He just finished building the dedication car I have pictured. Thank you so much!.
Happy to help. Share away. My dad and uncle started going to the hill climb in the '50s. I've got really nice photos taken by my uncle at the 1962, '63, '64, and '65 races. I'm sort of surprised I didn't see a shot of Fritz from '65, but I'll look through the collection again more carefully to make sure I didn't miss it (do you know if he also ran No. 43 in '65?). I attended my 33rd hill climb June 30. Not the same now that the road is paved, but still an amazing race.

Class3Fan

The road will do that to people. ... Also, interested to see that Fritz led the first lap of the first Daytona 500 -- that's pretty neat.

y2kbaja

I'm blown away. A guy comes on here asking for a picture from over 50 years ago and within a day has the picture. This community is so great!

Class3Fan

Don ... Do you have any information on what color Fritz's Ford was in '65? I've got shots of several that are head-on from a distance and the numbers aren't visible. I do think there's a good chance one of them is Fritz.