• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pike's Peak Record

Bricoop

brad inch

i use my starter to finish a race does that count? i went there when they were trying to get under 10 sec.electic cars sure do not care about elevration do they.cool race

OFFRD-JNKIE

I would think electric would be perfect for Pikes Peak because of instant torque... I miss the days when it was dirt...

Chris Tobin

There's been a new record set for Pike's Peak by an all electric vehicle. Not only did it crush the previous electric record, it beat the overall record. Not to mention the car went from concept to record holder in under a year. Full torque at 0 RPM is a big deal. Can't wait til someone in off-road starts incorporating electric motors.

How the Volkswagen I.D. R Went from Daydream to Pikes Peak Hill Climb Record Holder in 249 Days
I would think electric would be perfect for Pikes Peak because of instant torque... I miss the days when it was dirt...
Probably has more to do with not having altitude related power reduction than instant torque... I'm sure the pavement doesn't hurt either for better traction with all the extra weight from the batteries...

baja619

Is there anyway to define the course markers and speeds in a compartive chart when looking at the new paed course verses the old road?

Bricoop

Probably has more to do with not having altitude related power reduction than instant torque... I'm sure the pavement doesn't hurt either for better traction with all the extra weight from the batteries...
The pavement is most the difference I think. With the 156 turns, I think the instant torque is a huge factor. The altitude certainly has an effect, though I believe the FI they are running mitigates much of that.

Chris Tobin

The pavement is most the difference I think. With the 156 turns, I think the instant torque is a huge factor. The altitude certainly has an effect, though I believe the FI they are running mitigates much of that.
That depends if you mean Forced Induction or if you mean Fuel Injection with FI... In either case there is still power lost with altitude and with Normally Aspirated engines it is a pretty significant power drop off. With Turbo and Super Charged Forced Induction engines the drop off isn't as bad but it is still there for sure. Since virtually the entire course is run at altitude and keeps getting higher it has a huge effect on the power the cars make while running up the mountain. Even with Forced Induction it takes a lot of fuel delivery to still make power at altitude.

No doubt the electric motor's torque is a factor, but don't discount the altitude. Again the paving of the course made the biggest difference in reducing times. Each time they added a new section of pavement the record times dropped significantly, while on same course conditions records were very close to the old times when/if they were broken.