• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pioneer 72 F250 build

Hey All, I’ve been following for a while and have been trying to figure out how to one day get to race a Norra event. It’s somthing I’ve wanted to do with my old man and my son for a while as I love
1E74FFFF-A27A-41FD-BEE6-8761AAC992E9.jpeg
the adventure and memorie building aspect of it. Long storie short I had this 72 f250 camper special fall in my lap and I wanted to get some opinions on running it as ether Pioneer or next level up. Any feed back would be awesome.

Attachments

Ya I figured this would be a good trial and error rig. I know a lot of the f100s running are all 115in wheel base and I haven’t seen any f250s running, I wasn’t too sure about size and weight being a factor. From what I can tell the old f250s share almost the same dimensions excluding the wheel base, mine is 131in.

Bro_Gill

Run it. You come with a floater rear end and heavy kingpins in front. Contact Autofab for some bent beams and coils and even the shock mounts for the front. Pretty much everything you need is a buy and bolt on except for the actual roll cage.

Team Todo En

If it's got the 360 or 390 you'll be in Legend Trucks. Be sure to download all the General and Vehicle Rules from the NORRA site. That nice long stock wheelbase will be fun especially in the straights. You still have plenty of time provided you have time to work on her! You're in for an awesome adventure. Good luck with the build and post lots of pics.

jon coleman

oh yeah, your build sheet is easy, one page, bet it says : build race truck, ( dont worry, a week before race it gets up to around 10- 15 pages long....;))didnt spirit racing do the long wheelbase thing in stone stk??

bajaboy7

Read the build thread of the Pigott boy who built one when he was 14 years old. 14YO is in the title. He has become a legend around here doing exactly what you're doing.

43mod

I just happen to have a real nice alum headed 390/c6 in my 75 supercab shortbed . 2nd owner ,orig paint , 09 Dodge seats/console damn nice truck. Have not driven it in two years. Maybe there is a deal to be made.
Yes the Pigotts are a cool family. Dad has been a great cheerleader for his kids doing good things.

bullnerd

Read the build thread of the Pigott boy who built one when he was 14 years old. 14YO is in the title. He has become a legend around here doing exactly what you're doing.

Another great thread ruined by Photobucket.

Run it. You come with a floater rear end and heavy kingpins in front. Contact Autofab for some bent beams and coils and even the shock mounts for the front. Pretty much everything you need is a buy and bolt on except for the actual roll
Run it. You come with a floater rear end and heavy kingpins in front. Contact Autofab for some bent beams and coils and even the shock mounts for the front. Pretty much everything you need is a buy and bolt on except for the actual roll cage.
your not kidding auto fab makes it easy! Thanks Bro_Gill

If it's got the 360 or 390 you'll be in Legend Trucks. Be sure to download all the General and Vehicle Rules from the NORRA site. That nice long stock wheelbase will be fun especially in the straights. You still have plenty of time provided you have time to work on her! You're in for an awesome adventure. Good luck with the build and post lots of pics.
Ya it currently has a terminally ill 360. I’m trying to decide what power plant seems to be reasonable with dependability/get up and go. Ya luckily all this build really needs is just time and money fortunately jajaja anyone know where I can find an abundance of it? Ha I’m looking forward to it though, I know it’ll be a blast

oh yeah, your build sheet is easy, one page, bet it says : build race truck, ( dont worry, a week before race it gets up to around 10- 15 pages long....;))didnt spirit racing do the long wheelbase thing in stone stk??
Haha so I’ve heard that’s how it goes! I’m not sure I haven’t heard of em?

jon coleman

Jeremy Spirkoff, spirit racing, he built a long bed w a Big motor i recall that wooped up on ivans pro trucks,,, so i vaguely recall....🤔yes, build it

Bro_Gill

Ya it currently has a terminally ill 360. I’m trying to decide what power plant seems to be reasonable with dependability/get up and go. Ya luckily all this build really needs is just time and money fortunately jajaja anyone know where I can find an abundance of it? Ha I’m looking forward to it though, I know it’ll be a blast
Look for a 351 base motor. Should be able to get 400hp off pump gas pretty cheap with decent torque. You can do any of the Windsor/Cleveland/M motors, but the M will be harder to source the parts for. The W you might have to pay a little more up front for the base since everyone thinks those are 'race' motors!

germancarsonly

Back in 1980, I bought a new Bronco with a weak suck 351M in it. Mike Evans built me a 400M and it rocked. At least, once we got the valve train to live.

Look for a 351 base motor. Should be able to get 400hp off pump gas pretty cheap with decent torque. You can do any of the Windsor/Cleveland/M motors, but the M will be harder to source the parts for. The W you might have to pay a little more up front for the base since everyone thinks those are 'race' motors!
Any point in keeping the 360, boring it out and breathing some new life into it, rotating assembly, heads etc? Or just scrap it and try to find a Windsor? Any issues with Cleveland’s? I’m for sure a little more familiar with the 351w’s. Hey gotta pay for the name right!?

Oh we are gunna build it! I’m playing the long game, I don't plan on it bein done and ready for its first race anytime soon, but it will be built and it will be raced. With plenty of memories and a new family hobby created. I know how much I like seeing pictures of builds so I’ll be sure to post lots as soon as I start in on this rig.

Bert is my name

The 360 is a shorter stroke and smaller bore than the 390. Source a 428 crank and some medium riser heads. The f.e. series engine can make good horsepower and a ton of torque. You already have the block. If you have the d4teaa heads they are a decent flowing head that will allow the engine to make up to 500 horsepower or so. Dont be to quick to switch to a Windsor. And I definitely would not switch over to an m series engine. Parts are about non existent for the m series. F.e. series engines are close enough in weight to the Windsor engines that the weight savings is negligible. The aftermarket has stepped up in the last 10 years in regards to supporting the f.e. engines.

Bert is my name

The 360 is a shorter stroke and smaller bore than the 390. Source a 428 crank and some medium riser heads. The f.e. series engine can make good horsepower and a ton of torque. You already have the block. If you have the d4teaa heads they are a decent flowing head that will allow the engine to make up to 500 horsepower or so. Dont be to quick to switch to a Windsor. And I definitely would not switch over to an m series engine. Parts are about non existent for the m series. F.e. series engines are close enough in weight to the Windsor engines that the weight savings is negligible. The aftermarket has stepped up in the last 10 years in regards to supporting the f.e. engines. A 428 crank in the 360 block will get you into the 410 to 420 cubic inch range depending on the setup. I built a 416 inch f.e. for my 68 f1. Mild build. Runs on cheap gas and is in the 400 to 450 horsepower range.