pismo dunes

evan_clanin

Reaction
hey guys, been a while sincve o have been on the site, sork sucks, any ways, i moved away from the pismo area about 7 months ago, to key west, and im on my way back to the pismo area, can any one tell me the status on the dunes, i have herd from a friend that it was closed, for that damn snowy bird, but i have not heard other, and he was uncertian, any information on the dunes would be greatly appricated

Paige

Reaction
Evan,

Pismo isn't totally closed yet, there is a petition to close the dunes during the fledgling season of the snowy plover - there is a lot going on with pismo, meetings, letters, all sorts of stuff...for more up-to-date and accurate info check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.oceanodunes.org>www.oceanodunes.org</A>

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

evan_clanin

Reaction
thanks paige, i was kinda freaking out, leave town for a bit and comeback, and my play ground is closed...im glad to hear its still open, any thing me and my friends can do to help?

Paige

Reaction
Yeah - they need alot of help up there - there is a meeting this weekend I think for support - Oh and ( I got this from Friends of Oceano)

There is going to be a television news segment scheduled to air today, Thursday, April 4, 2002, at 5pm and 6pm on stations in the Central Valley and Central Coast about our fight to keep Oceano Dunes open. KGET-17 (NBC) in Bakersfield and KCOY-12 (CBS) in Santa Maria will be covering the protest in Bakersfield today. Part of the coverage will have statements from Friends members about
the potential closure of Oceano Dunes SVRA due to a lawsuit filed in federal
court by the Sierra Club and Environmental Defense Center.

KGET-17, KCOY-12, 5pm and 6pm, April 4.

keep up with the web-site and see what is going on - I am working with Kim Krammer on a letter campaign they might be doing, if so - I'll post here for everyone to help with.

Oceano is really under attack with the snowy Plover - and the little chick is very small and very cute, so it is easy for the sierra club and other groups to plead its case - the only problem is the birds are not being killed as a result of OHVs but pretatory birds...Also the plover uses Salt Lake and another lake as fly aways, but they are looking at its existence at Oceano for the closure - there are 10's of thousands of them at these other lakes, but very few in Pismo (Oceano) which is the reason for the attempted closure. They are doing banding of the chicks as part of the BLM and CCC's edict and as a result of the banding the chicks are easier targets from their pretators. This is the information I remember from my trip to Sac, I'm sure the info on their site is more accurate.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

evan_clanin

Reaction
well id love to help,but im not going to be home till next weekend, and im leaving in the morning, i would make it sooner if i could, talk to you all when i get home

evan

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I'd also like to add that we can only drive on 1,500 acres of the dunes while the rest of the 15,000 acres were already set aside for conservation and that flippen bird.. But the Sierra Club doesn't tell you that becasue they really don't care about the bird itself, they just hate OHV use.
-Chris

2000 v6 4x4 TRD 5-Speed Tacoma