• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pistol OK?

C4

I have had more than a few dealings with Pete. When I first started Pro Eagle I needed help getting the name out there. I had worked with him while I was at Maxxis Tires and was torn between wanting to work with someone that wins races and someone that everyone knew and watched. But I figured if I could help Pete with an advantage he would do what he did best and tell anyone that would listen. So I called him and asked if I had a product that could give him an advantage, would he be interested? He said if there isn't big money involved then you can pound sand! So I hung up and said F that guy! However I never lost respect for him as a racer that never gives up and I had the utmost respect for him as a father and seeing how he loved his family. Fast forward a few years and now everybody knows who Pro Eagle is and Pete did too. He approached me at Off Road Expo and said I should sponsor him. I thought, does he not remember the conversation we had a few years ago? Did he just swallow his pride? Did he just think I forgot? Well I had never been so happy to tell anyone I would give them a DISCOUNT on a jack but that is the best I can do. He smiled and said touche and walked on.

Anyhow that is one of many stories I have about Pete. I would like to do what I can to help his family. At the SDHQ trailer at KOH there will be a big wheel jack that we will raffle off. See Dan 200 and buy a ticket for whatever you can spare. Winner will be drawn at KOH and Dan will give 100% of what is collected to the Soren family.

Chuck

Curtis Guise

Administrator
View attachment 198421

Here’s a classic whole page ad from the 2006 Score Baja 1000 program .... (Pre Mullet). Like the ad reads “a wanted man at every turn” !!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
That's what I was looking for. Thanks. We are working on a shirt and all proceeds will go to Pete's family (I talked to Pete's brother Chad about it). We might use some ideas from this for the design. The stickers will be available with the shirts.

Kiwiflyer

Pete was my mate. I chose him to be my mate. I was super proud that I was going to be sharing driving duties with him in the desert mayhem 175. I was super proud to have the privilege to do yet another pre run with him and his family in that race. I was privileged to know him to hang with his family and for him to call me a dipshit when I was wrong. We choose whom we want to spend time with. My family and I always chose to hang out with this guy because he was a good fella. I will miss being called a dipshit by him. I will miss him threatening to steal my 2 year old daughter because he loved her so much. But more than ever I will miss hanging out with a bloke that absolutely undeniably loved his wife and kids as much as he did.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Fire1998

Hey guys!
I have Pete's 86 Dodge D50 that finished the Baja 1000 back in the day. Pete referred to as a "piece of ****" back in the day but he finished. I bought it 3 years ago and I redid the truck in a more modern way. CFAB in Colorado Springs did most of the restoration and changes. Truck has a cool cantilever rear suspension with Deaver leaf springs. Truck originally had 3 Bilsteins smooth bodies and a Bilstein coilover per side. Rear now has a King 2" coilover, King 2" triple bypass and a King 2" smoothbody per side. Works really well as leaf springs are really lightly sprung. When I bought truck I found out it was Pete who built it by way of RDC.
I contacted Pete about truck and he told me all he could. The one thing he was most proud of was teflon plates between frame and rear leaf spring shackles that reduced friction. They are still on truck!! Front had 2 bilstein coilovers and 2 bilstein smooth bodies per side and custom torsion bars. We took off original shocks and replaced them with a 2" King coilover and a 2.5" IBS King Shock per side. We also added 4" King bumpstops to rear and 2" King bumpstops up front. It was alot of work and money but I wanted a old school truck!! Other than replacing all wear stuff like bushings , bearings, new fuel cell, new wiring, cooling system, alternator and a bunch of other safety stuff...its still pretty original. Weve been battling transmission problems the last 2 years. We broke a Flexplate at first Mint. WE lost transmission at years Mint. transmission and TC are now new and now strengthened. We pretty much redid everything but cage, front arms and hubs, and body. My daughter and I are registered for this years Mint. We did the lat 2 but DNF'd. I met with TJ Flores to set up suspension and his words were...one of the best limited trucks I've driven!! Pete new his stuff. I would love to do a Pistol Pete wrap on truck to celebrate his life!! Any of you guys have any ideas what to do for wrap??? Pete was always great with me and will miss him!! I told my 20 yo daughter about Pete and she agrees we should do something for Pete on our truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Here are pics of truck. I have a bunch but will post what I can. Pics are after rebuild. I have a bunch of pics from when I bought it. Apparently it was sitting in a warehouse for over 20 years!!20180723_180011_002.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

BajaJT

Just bought two shirts, never met the man, bumped him once in his class five, sorry he is gone way to soon, think we need more (not just on this site) but in general with no filter, way to much PC in this world at least in my option.

CFreeLV

Do have any pictures of what "livery" Pete had on the truck when he owned it? Super cool of you to honor him. If it was me I'd recreate the way it was when he raced it.

Hey guys!
I have Pete's 86 Dodge D50 that finished the Baja 1000 back in the day. Pete referred to as a "piece of ****" back in the day but he finished. I bought it 3 years ago and I redid the truck in a more modern way. CFAB in Colorado Springs did most of the restoration and changes. Truck has a cool cantilever rear suspension with Deaver leaf springs. Truck originally had 3 Bilsteins smooth bodies and a Bilstein coilover per side. Rear now has a King 2" coilover, King 2" triple bypass and a King 2" smoothbody per side. Works really well as leaf springs are really lightly sprung. When I bought truck I found out it was Pete who built it by way of RDC.
I contacted Pete about truck and he told me all he could. The one thing he was most proud of was teflon plates between frame and rear leaf spring shackles that reduced friction. They are still on truck!! Front had 2 bilstein coilovers and 2 bilstein smooth bodies per side and custom torsion bars. We took off original shocks and replaced them with a 2" King coilover and a 2.5" IBS King Shock per side. We also added 4" King bumpstops to rear and 2" King bumpstops up front. It was alot of work and money but I wanted a old school truck!! Other than replacing all wear stuff like bushings , bearings, new fuel cell, new wiring, cooling system, alternator and a bunch of other safety stuff...its still pretty original. Weve been battling transmission problems the last 2 years. We broke a Flexplate at first Mint. WE lost transmission at years Mint. transmission and TC are now new and now strengthened. We pretty much redid everything but cage, front arms and hubs, and body. My daughter and I are registered for this years Mint. We did the lat 2 but DNF'd. I met with TJ Flores to set up suspension and his words were...one of the best limited trucks I've driven!! Pete new his stuff. I would love to do a Pistol Pete wrap on truck to celebrate his life!! Any of you guys have any ideas what to do for wrap??? Pete was always great with me and will miss him!! I told my 20 yo daughter about Pete and she agrees we should do something for Pete on our truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Here are pics of truck. I have a bunch but will post what I can. Pics are after rebuild. I have a bunch of pics from when I bought it. Apparently it was sitting in a warehouse for over 20 years!!View attachment 198506

Fire1998

Do have any pictures of what "livery" Pete had on the truck when he owned it? Super cool of you to honor him. If it was me I'd recreate the way it was when he raced it.
Unfortunately I dont have any pics of truck when Pete raced it. Pete didnt have any pics either. Pete said after he crashed his 5 car his memory was not as good as it should be!! The Livery that was on truck was designed by Pete's brother in law. Pete didn't have any good words about brother inlaw!! Apparently truck was last raced in 88 or 89 and sat in a warehouse till I bought it. The 2.6 Mitsubishi Motor was new and built by Keith Black!! Pete said motor and carbs were worth more than the truck!! I paid 6k for truck and drove to Reno to pick it up. Carbs are a Mikuni/Solex type race Q carbs. Took awhile to find rebuild kits. transmission was also rebuilt but according to guy who built new transmission said last guy had no idea what he was doing! The transmission was constantly slipping due to not enough pressure to engage clutch packs. transmission was pretty rare. One of the the 1rst 4 speed trannies built by Dodge/Mitsubishi. It took 5 months to find a donor transmission in Iowa!! All the bugs should be worked out now and we are looking forward to the Mint!!

Last edited: