• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pistol OK?

Fire1998

Thanks for link!! Cant tell if that's Pete's truck or not. Truck did have Yokohamas on it when I picked it up but front of truck and fiberglass dont match. Roll cage had no mounts for lights either. Lights were on front. Hard to tell colors also. I do like the idea of yellow and Speedway on doors!!

JRod

fast-aid.org
Pete called me earlier this week. I had seen earlier in the day that someone had dumped what was very likely to be a stolen trailer on the street in front of his house.
“Hi Pete”
“I m calling you because you’re my lawyer”
“This is about that trailer, huh?”
“Yea”
“And you want me to tell you that you can lay some kind of legal claim to it because it’s abandoned, right?”
“I can? “. (He starts to get excited)
“No Peter, you can’t. FINDERS KEEPERS isn’t a law. “
“But, but, but.....”
“Pete I’m not a lawyer”
“I know, you’re my friend.”

I’ve had a thousand conversations with Pistol. Many of them were us talking loudly over each other while we agreed about something. He was larger than life. Bold and humble. And he was as real as they come. When I got of the phone with him I was smiling. I had no idea that would be the last time we talked. I’m pretty wrecked about this.

Last night I spoke his brother chad. Chad was just at my house last weekend (he’s remodeling my bathroom). Chad is a mess but ok also. He said the family was on the way to SF already. Friends of Pete even had their private jets on the ready if needed for the family. It didn’t take long for the things that need to happen to start happening so this crisis can be dealt with. I’m proud that everyone can rally to aid and support them like this and do so so quickly.

I messaged a guy who was there at the accident scene. This is all so bad so I asked him if he could please tell me of anything good. ANYTHING.

His reply “The girls weren’t hurt that bad”.
I know they have some broken bones but it really pains me to think they had to see their dad, this great dad, die in front of them. That had to be awful.

I am going to miss my friend very badly. As I go forward I am going to do my best keep him with me. He was awesome in so many ways. I mean he had a mullet and wrap around sunglasses and he actually pulled it off. That’s not an easy thing to do. A man who wasn’t afraid to be himself. He was a big mouth and a pain in my ass sometimes and I proud to say he was my friend.

Godspeed Pistol.
Of course you're not a lawyer - what lawyer in his right mind would have told Pete to call "the Cop?" You're a crappy lawyer, but a great friend and so was Pete. I am really glad I got to talk to him - even if he was probably calling me hoping I would tell him "finders keepers" was some obscure AZ law. It means the world to me to have had the chance to catch up with him and talk racing, TV shows and of course family. Pete was one of the earliest of supporters of Fast-Aid which because he embodied "Racers Helping Racers." As P-Diddy said, he was brash and crude and opinionated and that's why we all loved him and looked forward to what he had to say regardless of whether you agreed with him or not. More than a showman, promoter, desert racing guru and pot-stirrer, he was a great dude that loved his friends and family - we can all learn a lot from Pete. RIP Pete.

Fire1998

Actually that is Pete's truck!! Apparently after that race Pete must have made a bunch of changes and upgrades but I never saw the first build. Fiberglass and cab was changed to a Dodge D50. ID on cab says 86 4X4 model. Pete had told me that he built truck to race in 4x4 but the rulebook only said truck had to be a 4x4 from factory. Pete removed all the 4wd stuff and ran it in 4x4! As you can see the front shocks come up thru hood on my truck. Pete saw truck at Mint 2 years ago and bullshited with me for awhile. First thing Pete said to me seeing truck..."Put some bigger Fu#%ing tires on it"!!

Viola1685

Actually that is Pete's truck!! Apparently after that race Pete must have made a bunch of changes and upgrades but I never saw the first build. Fiberglass and cab was changed to a Dodge D50. ID on cab says 86 4X4 model. Pete had told me that he built truck to race in 4x4 but the rulebook only said truck had to be a 4x4 from factory. Pete removed all the 4wd stuff and ran it in 4x4! As you can see the front shocks come up thru hood on my truck. Pete saw truck at Mint 2 years ago and bullshited with me for awhile. First thing Pete said to me seeing truck..."Put some bigger Fu#%ing tires on it"!!
After the first race they actually finished building the truck. My dad and Pete go way back and when this truck came around he was given a sponsorship and had to run certain races so the night before the trucks first race Pete and the Gieser Brothers were in Petes garage eyeballing where to weld the front shock towers on just to make the start. My dad was saying that they had a parade like 7 miles or so to the start line and by the time they got to the start both doors and a bedside had fell off because they were just trying to finish it to make the start line for a sponsor. My dad was saying that after its first race they took it all apart and finished it.

Fire1998

After the first race they actually finished building the truck. My dad and Pete go way back and when this truck came around he was given a sponsorship and had to run certain races so the night before the trucks first race Pete and the Gieser Brothers were in Petes garage eyeballing where to weld the front shock towers on just to make the start. My dad was saying that they had a parade like 7 miles or so to the start line and by the time they got to the start both doors and a bedside had fell off because they were just trying to finish it to make the start line for a sponsor. My dad was saying that after its first race they took it all apart and finished it.
Awesome....thanks for the info!!!

bajaford

Were on our way to parker tomorrow.......... I hope that theres a lot of Pistol gear there. Im in! Ive raced against him.... Ive pitted his trucks.... and ive spent time working on his truck at a pit...... always a good time to be around Pete. Heartfelt to the family. GODSPEED PISTOL PETE

OC, Here's @Fire1998 post: Looking for background and info of truck is just bought

Searching through the internet archives, I found this pre-running video of Cam and Pete from over a decade ago
I'd seen that old thread, thanks.

We're talking a Dodge/Mitsubishi truck in the mid eighties, correct?

Well over ten years ago. See post #243 for a B&W of the truck in question from back in the day.

I'm afraid I miss your point.

But I sure lament the growing list of the deceased in my address book. :( For a moment, I'd thought, "let's just call Pete and ask." (I'd done the same thing for over a decade after my father's passing, which was decades ago. No, sir, I just don't like it.)

Bricoop

I'd seen that old thread, thanks.

We're talking a Dodge/Mitsubishi truck in the mid eighties, correct?

Well over ten years ago. See post #243 for a B&W of the truck in question from back in the day.

I'm afraid I miss your point.

But I sure lament the growing list of the deceased in my address book. :( For a moment, I'd thought, "let's just call Pete and ask." (I'd done the same thing for over a decade after my father's passing, which was decades ago. No, sir, I just don't like it.)
1548872795642.png

Credit to @La Tijereta

Fire1998

I contacted Paige on Facebook. Shes offered to do artwork for truck to honor her dad. We'll see what she comes up with!!

Crowd Pleaser

I met Pete at the Battle at Primm a couple years back. I had recently sent him a friend request (something I rarely do) on FB that he accepted. I walked up to him, introduced myself and thanked him for accepting the friend request. He shook my hand and chatted for a minute or two and as he walked away said something to the effect of "now don't talk any crap on FB or I will block your a$$". I laughed and told him not to worry.

I always enjoyed the banter on this and other forums and could appreciate the tell it like it is or at least how he saw it with no filter. By the looks of the tear jerking photos, videos and stories in this post I can see there was much more to Pete than just just what BANNED4LIFE brought to me. G_DSPEED Pistol Pete and a speedy recovery to your kids.

P.S. Looking forward to getting my Team Pistol swag and hope others visit his site as well.

bgodfrey602

I knew Pete before he was Pistol. I helped Pete and family, like many of his close friends, open Speedway an indoor kart racing track..., and in turn, he taught me lots of life lessons and how to more with less. I am crushed that I never really had the opportunity to tell him how much he influenced my life and taught me how to win.., at anything. I am honored to have been a part of the transformation from tile setting, vans wearing, class 5 legend to TT crasher in first 7 miles at Laughlin of our first race.., later asking if we should let this 1600 driver Cam Steele and crew join the team. We had a great time working and having fun together.

I have included some of the OG liveries from when we started the TT program, issue 1 of DirtSport Pete and I were on the cover of, and some BTS of when he built the 3 seater at the OG Geiser shop. I have a lot more images as well so hit me up if you need more.

We are really going to miss you Pete.

Attachments

Honda48X

Truck Night in America was really good but sad seeing Pete. They did a nice tribute to him. A great person taken way to soon.