• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pistol OK?

J Burleson

Very sad to hear. RIP Pistol Pete! I only ever had one interaction with the man in person at the 500 one year. I asked him at tech a few years ago if the 6100 he was sitting in had one of the good cheater motors. He appreciated the banter and we chatted for 20 minutes. He embodied the passion that is off-road Racing. He was the last no bs rdc forum member after Ramsey passed. He will extremely missed.

Still in shock about what happened I’m so devested, he was the greatest guy ever never afraid to say how it is spoke his mind always, not many people like that.I had known Pete for 13 years always talked hung out together and done some real estate deals, a real stand up person will truly be missed

Fifty

Time will tell. Best to keep the rumor mill stopped at this time.
Im not sure if this is what he meant, hopefully it wasnt just for a juicy story. (having been a Marine, then a cop, I too hate the story thrill seekers and blamers) But I think all too often we don't take the time to learn to analyze the safety aspects of our equipment and essentially do a real event analysis so that we can then make future vehicles a little safer. I know there is no way to make everything 100% safe, and that too can be evaluated and decided on. But could a mechanical safety measure change/addition/subtraction help in the future because humans are not perfect and mistakes/accidents happen? Or will this event teach us that in this perfect storm there is nothing to be done should it occur again in the future.

I dont want to know the specifics of the story or who is to blame. To me that is for the families and God. But if I was in an accident and something could be learned from it and other vehicles modified to be safer....Id be cool with it.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
^^^ Let's let it rest at this time. There is no need to hash over the details yet. No facts will be lost by our refraining to discuss this incident in a public forum right now.

Be safe, practice situational awareness in all your endeavors, practice patience.

Please.

I will just say this. It sounds like a random wrong place at wrong time accident. One RZR coming up a dune and Pistol in his RZR driving along the plateau at the top. Both met at a 90 degree angle into the driver side door of Pete’s. Pete was the “safest” person I know so I really believe there was nothing he could do and probably didn’t even see it coming. Everyone in Pete’s car was wearing their seat belts.

Simply back luck. That's all it was. Luck plays a big part in what we do. Sometimes you come back, sometimes you don't. Wish Pete and I had buried the hatchet sooner. Even I will miss his post on here. God speed Pistola. Rest easy buddy.

bobylax

I had the opportunity to talk with Pete when he was in a booth next to us at the restaurant in the Gold Stike after one of the Henderson races. He was with a couple of young guys from back east that had rented one of his trucks, and was more excited about their experience and finish than they were, and they were pretty stoked!! Very down to earth guy! RIP Pete.

I haven’t read every post, and not sure if this has been brought up, but has anyone proposed to SCORE retiring the #2?

"Is any of the family going to be at Parker? Possibly them or someone close can setup a booth at contingency for donations. I’m sure George at BITD would give them a free booth space for that"

Well the plan was to camp with Chad and Margi at Parker but I am sure this will not happen now and there will be something else going on. I am glad they got the go fund me going and hope this helps out.

Baja Bryan

I will just say this. It sounds like a random wrong place at wrong time accident. One RZR coming up a dune and Pistol in his RZR driving along the plateau at the top. Both met at a 90 degree angle into the driver side door of Pete’s. Pete was the “safest” person I know so I really believe there was nothing he could do and probably didn’t even see it coming. Everyone in Pete’s car was wearing their seat belts.
I knew the other driver of the other RZR his name is Jeff Schwartz . He had a house in Mexico not far from mine. Jeff went up the hill over a blind cress. Same they always do on a weekends and holidays. Reports are Jeff did not have his belts on. I dont think Pee did anything wrong. Just wrong place at the wrong time.