Pistol's Baja Racing Adventures Mint 400 and the Trophylite Series version 2.0

AZ7000'

Reaction
The Email came out from Trophylite with a recap and standings from the first race at plaster city on monday march 23rd. I was called a Trophylite newcomer and listed as third in the points. I was pretty fired up. I checked my accounts and shot a text to Pistol at BRA tuesday morning the 24th and the deal was done, 4 days before the race.

The SNORE event was sweet. Contingency, cheap rooms, the party thursday night, Vegas itself, the TORR shows, the prerun, and it was actually The Mint 400 20 years later.

Last time I drove (and my only race) was the Drive race in Plaster City. A bit nervous the morning of the start is an understatement. Last words from Pistola before I went off to stage "I put an extra strap on the spare, you are going to get hit by some Trophy Trucks." That gives you something to think about. As the last TL to register we started second to last.

Silt was the start, lots of silt. Came up on our first note, "big ditch on left" steered a bit to the right and a truck was already stuffed in the ditch. We get passed by the rear start...again. Slow moving through the silt then another note, caution, I lock em up and stop a few inches from a truck on the right that happens to be on a buggy with another truck on it. I think there was a truck on a buggy on the left too. Backed up about a foot and cleared the mess and kept going. On the other side of the highway you could see a bit, got to pass another car at he end of the graded road.

Picked through the rocks and a couple cars over the next few miles. We get past cars stuck in the little canyon area and cruising up the wash with deep tire ruts start a right bender then sh-t, here we go. The TL's are a bit narrower than the big boys and the inside wheel climbed the center hill before I could put the outside wheel on the berm. My first roll went from no no no to 2 more sides...1 more side...the wheels, please please the wheels and we were back on the tires. Figured out the direction to go and took off. Everything felt good so on to the next wash and then the next issue, the left rear fell off. Ran back and got the wheel with a bit bigger holes now. Gravel needed to be picked out of the hub and brakes, we stole a lug nut from each wheel, figured out how to dig out and jack up the rear and were on our way.

Next road crossing had the BRA crew and Pistol himself throwing on the lug nuts and a new spare. Stuck a few times behind cars in the silt and jackhammer cross grain gets us to mile 82 where the powerline road lets you go FAST. 1st lap in 6th place, gas and on to lap #2. I grandma drove the part I rolled, crapping my pants. Got slammed by a TT (heard all the horns but yours...) a few 100 yards after the stop sign. A flat, leaking rear end, brake pedal to the floor. Called it all in and had the crew ready and fix it all as I handed the truck over in 5th place after 200 miles.

Thanks to the endless hard work from Eric (Pistols mechanic and the man as co-dog) Pete, Fast Eddie, Kristie, Lil, and the Baja Racing Adventure Team we finished 3rd and now I think 2nd in the Trophylite points. Something like $2600 in payback for third in just for this race. The help from the other TL teams is always there and the trucks can take a beating. Messer's 6017, the 6011, 6000, 6060, and the other teams are hitting their stride and their experience shows. And I have a good start on my short course body for Glen Helen!

Erik Irvine

Reaction
Thanks for the story! Sounds like your hooked :)

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
Great morning read-thanks for sharing!! Sounds like a BLAST!! :D

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Wow, pretty thrilling ride in the TL, Brian! Are you going to show the in-car video? I can't wait to show the footage of you, a frustrated, stuck driver, giving me, a smartass media voyeur, a matching pair of middle finger salutes!! haha Go for the season championship!

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
Pistol just picked up 2 new TL's yesterday ready for racing!

AZ7000'

Reaction
I wish I could post the in-car, end of the race Eric noticed the camera wasn't plugged into the main part. Looking forward to the next installment in the Wicked Gravity Video series though.

And yes, I may be hooked...

ultrablew

Reaction
I think it was you at the TL200 that came up to our camp and bs'd with me for a bit before the team arrived? Way to go! You're doing great. I wish you all the best!!! Great stories of your adventures!

RBFJeep

Reaction
Great race report. Good job out there.

AZCPP

Reaction
Brian, nice read! I remember on one of your laps past CP16 the right rear fender was barely hanging on as you motored up the silt hill and we were all saying DROP IT! DROP IT! DROP IT!:D

Keep up the good work! It's pretty cool what Pete is doing also. Oh, and my offer stands if you need me.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Thanks for the pics!