• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pit box socket Holders

D-rek

I am trying to put together my pit/chase toolboxes and I am trying to figure out what people are using to hold sockets. I have rails and it always seems the sockets fall off. Any suggestions?
-Derek

51rcr

big difference in the cheapy rails vs. spendy ones. and plastic ones. ya can try the twist lock where ya have to spin it like a quarter turn to release them. Ya can get crafty with bending extra tension in the metal holders also. ya can make your own and rivet or bolt the to a bigger piece of metal so yo can sit whole assortment out, kobalt has a one for like $25 but think plastic holder style. I seen a smaller with metal on like ebay to. put magnets under them to so there not bouncing around to. iam always trying to figure a better way to haul tools, It needs its own thread

manicmechanic

I made custom steel holders for mine. Just line up the set with 1/8th by 3/4 flat stock cut to length and tac it to the
tray. I marked the size of one toward the middle with a label maker so I can just count up or down to the size I need.
I also like knowing if one is missing.
For wrenches I used springs from Napa that are for truck trailer cords. Stretch them with a vise and vise grips
WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR!, then put em on the bench and put the wrench set between the coils cut to length
and stretch a little more if its to tight and screw the ends to the bottom of the tray.

51rcr

For drawers put a solid peice of foam and drill holes to fit and hold sockets.
for deep wells in a regular shop box I used a lil denser like gray foam. regular depth I use like under sleeping bag foam. I just used a lil 2 lbs hammer and on a piece of concret ya don't care about or a solid metal table just holt the socket where ya want it and give it a lil wack and it punches the right size out.

probably don't wanna drop the coin but the snap on rails truly hold the sockets on and even when my tool box is knocked over and sometimes tossed around in my moto hauler the sockets stay attached.... if not the foam with drilled holes sounds pretty good alternative and inexpensive.

Pain to work off of in the shop, but Offroad trail tools make silicone holder that keeps the sockets on really well. even if dropped. I cut mine to length so i know if I have everything before packing up.

JDDurfey

Have you ever looked at a Montezuma tool box. They are built for riding in pick up and service trucks. They have hangers for both wrenches and socket holders. Basically they are pegs that the sockets sit on. They are long enough the sockets don't fall off, but they don't actually lock the sockets on them like a standard socket rail. you could build one yourself fairly easily. The sockets will rattle around on them and you wouldn't be able to carry the whole rail of sockets to the race car to work on it though.

bajaboy7

Have you ever looked at a Montezuma tool box. They are built for riding in pick up and service trucks. They have hangers for both wrenches and socket holders. Basically they are pegs that the sockets sit on. They are long enough the sockets don't fall off, but they don't actually lock the sockets on them like a standard socket rail. you could build one yourself fairly easily. The sockets will rattle around on them and you wouldn't be able to carry the whole rail of sockets to the race car to work on it though.
I bought five of these for my mechanics at the plant. They all love them and stay very organized.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

I bought five of these for my mechanics at the plant. They all love them and stay very organized.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
They are good boxes for sure. You can put a lot of stuff in a small area with them. I have several friends that have them in their pick ups for light service work. I have thought about getting one for when I do need to go to the field now that I am not in a big service truck full time. The only thing I don't like is that your tools rattle around all the time. But that isn't a big deal breaker.

DeRaRa

After years of having the same problem in chase tool boxes I found a cheap solution. I run a 16" piece of #12 Thhn copper wire through five or six sockets of increasing size and twist the ends together and throw them into the drawer or bag. You never have to hunt through the drawer again for the right socket and you can take them easily to where you are working even throw them on the ground and all the sockets stay together until you untwist the wire. I do the same thing with the wrenches and run the wire throught the box end.