Pit crew, Chase, volunteer support ( non racer) Thread only

Tube ride

Reaction
What does it really take to be a good race support volunteer ? We are the back bone to this sport. We are 100% passion driven ! We get our fix by sharing in your victories and sometimes even more with the tribulations. I take my hat off to all of you all the way down to the moms who stay home with the kids !

E-ROC

Reaction
Been a recovery volunteer since 2008, and have zero regrets about my time spent helping.
Seeing the racers finish after I have lended a hand to keep them on course, or given much needed agua and food to sustain till the end, is the best reward!
To tell a quick story; I pulled a couple gents off the course at the Mint due to transmission failure. Once safe and sound we fired up the BBQ and got some burgers, dogs, and beer on the table, and the smiles on them made our 12 hour drive worth every penny spent.
Love this sport and ALL who are a part of it!

Tube ride

Reaction
I often say “ if I had the money to build a TT team , I wouldn’t “. I’d rather have a fleet of recovery vehicles ( all built buy Kevin bunderision) and go to all the races and do support . You get to meet and help everyone and have tons of fun !!

jon coleman

Reaction
pitting& chasing should be mandatory before racing a car , , i learned a lot, also, to get involved, simply stay focused& be valuable to a team, take All the hard no one else wsnts tasks, word of mouth and your name will take you to the top, go to All the big races and try to get face time with pit bosses/ crew chiefs/ Team Owners, just chewing the fat can go far, let your intensions be known in conversation, good luck

mv181aa

Reaction
The ability to keep your passengers safe driving the Mexican highways and chase roads all hours of the day and night seems quite important. When I've chased we always shuttle driver an co-dawg. Either they are on edge about to get in the car or passed out tired from just getting out. Last thing they need to worry about is navigating the chase or watching traffic. Give them water, feed them and let them crash in the back seat.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
What makes a good chase volunteer?
Reliability, team player, don't complain, show up when and where you're supposed to, respect the team and remember you're representing someone other than yourself in todays world there is always a camera... A good attitude is very key because when things go wrong and will often you have to keep moving forward and work together to get to the finish line.

Fourstroker

Reaction
What makes a good chase volunteer?

Need to take care of business when it needs to be done and be able to relax when its out of your hands. Be able to drive long hours/stay awake when noone wants to stay awake. Helps to have 1 person with you/your crew that you have absolute trust in. It doesn't hurt if you have been a racer and can diagnose/fix things on a race car. Must be able to drink lots of beer and BBQ when the job is done

Tube ride

Reaction
I’ve found its Super important to make friends with the guy in your position on the competitions team. You never know when you are going to need to borrow beg or steal a part or help to make it to the finish line. I have found in the heat of battle the Drivers Ego can get in the way of a race saving decision. And if you borrow a part get it returned or fixed first thing. Even if it’s drive a new clutch from Vegas to San Diego the day after I got home from Baja, show up with pizza and beer

Tube ride

Reaction
This years Baja 1000 looks like it’s going to be a chase challenge. Lots of ground to cover from one side of Baja to the other !

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
A good chase, well. Being able to sit in the dark for hours on some back road in Baja waiting for someone who will hopefully just drive by. Not getting too drunk the night before or during a race. Being where you said you would be when you said you would be there. Have a good radio, not just a borrowed hand held. Also your own GPS. Having a good attitude, even at 2:00am on day two. Of course having mechanical abilities. I have come across race vehicles that are down and the drivers have no idea of anything about their own vehicle. So you should be able to fix most anything. A thick skin will be good too. A driver yelling at the chase or pit should be taken lightly. As the driver is under way more stress than you may think. And Patience grass hopper. And never taste the fluid coming from a race vehicle to see what it is, is that radiator fluid. No the buggy is air cooled.

jon coleman

Reaction
pitting& chasing for a team, preferably a 9/11, type lower class should be Mandatory for at least one full season, before anyone gets to ACTUALLY get in the left seat(, right ,down under mate), then you'll be a better driver in the desert overall