Pit Crew Equipment & Tools

redrhino99

Reaction
Hi,

Were starting a new utv race team this year. We've only done worcs racing. What equipment and tools should we have at each pit. Do you have a master list that you use at every race?

Thanks,

Joe

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
You'll need a sand wedge, pitching wedge, Irons 4-9, a 3 wood hybrid, Driver, 56,58, and 60 degree wedges. I like to carry a lot of extra tees because I break a lot during a full round. A divot tool for hard impacts, a ball marker, and lots and lots of "fluids." Disclaimer: I have a RZR and absolutely love it.

Last edited:

Zambo

Reaction
Longest iron I carry these days is a 5. Hybrids make it too easy.

y2kbaja

Reaction
We carried a club and a bunch of balls on the race car in case we broke down. The last thing we wanted to do broken down was hit golf balls. Plus, the co-driver was a golf ace, drove all the balls far into the desert and we were now out of balls.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Sorry to hijack a thread OP, at least you know you need to have a sense of humor to be in the pits.

Reaction
I suggest you pit next to well equipped utility beds.

MasTacos

Reaction
Depending on the series you're going to run, look at their rules around pit safety equipment and start with those as a minimum, especially where you're going to do fueling. Don't compromise on safety gear ever.

BITD is going to have a lot more specific requirements for fueling than SCORE so I'd build your safety list off of their requirements.

You may want to reach out to some of the UTV teams on UTV Underground to see what their experiences are with s**t that breaks and get a slightly more focused answer.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
A good start would be to have a couple of trucks equipped with every tool you use to prep your car along with fuel canisters and as many spare parts as you can afford.

baja_racer

Reaction
When your broke.....the short game doesn't matter.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Your best bet is to list what you planned to bring in the first place. The we can help fill in the gaps for you. As mentioned before RDC can be helpful but UTVunderground.com will likely have better utv specific info.

I am at almost every race there is selling parts. If there is something specific you needed i might already have it but you can always order it through our shop and they will make sure I have it there for you.

You can reach me at dan200@sdhqoffroad.com

Good Luck to you.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Bare minimum, each chase truck/pit should have a complete front and rear axle/cv assembly (ready to go), two spare tires, several belts, tie rod with ends...plus the tools to change the aforementioned. Beyond this you can add hub assemblies, steering rack, ECU, air filters, ft/rr arms, drive and driven clutch. In longer races some teams even carry a spare trans.

For BITD fueler will need a full fire-proof suit, helmet, apron plus gloves etc. Obviously you need dump cans and again in BITD (and you should for other races) have HD tarp to catch spilled/overflow fuel.

It was an honest question, but it is hard to just throw out a generic 'master list.' Oh...BTW, embrace the 'golf cart' jokes as it makes things much more fun. Got to run...tee time in 10 min. Brrrraaaaaap!

mgobaja

Reaction
Bare minimum, each chase truck/pit should have a complete front and rear axle/cv assembly (ready to go), two spare tires, several belts, tie rod with ends...plus the tools to change the aforementioned. Beyond this you can add hub assemblies, steering rack, ECU, air filters, ft/rr arms, drive and driven clutch. In longer races some teams even carry a spare trans.

For BITD fueler will need a full fire-proof suit, helmet, apron plus gloves etc. Obviously you need dump cans and again in BITD (and you should for other races) have HD tarp to catch spilled/overflow fuel.

It was an honest question, but it is hard to just throw out a generic 'master list.' Oh...BTW, embrace the 'golf cart' jokes as it makes things much more fun. Got to run...tee time in 10 min. Brrrraaaaaap!
Excellent start for the fueler safety gear,also having several 10lb or larger fire extinguishers, along with a few folks that know how to use them can come in very handy. Even if it is not your own car they get used on at an event.

Mechlectic

Reaction
Don't forget to keep tools, spares, fluids etc in the chase or tow vehicle to fix the vehicle if it breaks down as well. You will also need a way to communicate with the UTV at the pit.

BarrelRoll

Reaction
What flavor golf cart and who's suspension? I just de rzred/ lonstared our pit boxes to make room for 6100 stuff.