Pit Fire Extinguishers

MTPyle

Reaction
We have the foam Amerak and some ABC. The foam is nice as you re-fill on your own and they do a great job on fires. David from Motorsports Safety can get you the model numbers abs provide the foam.

Mike

Bro_Gill

Reaction
You will want both an ABC extinguisher for everything and some sort of water based extinguisher for cooling the still hot stuff after the flames are knocked down. Otherwise, the stuff just reignites. A 2A10BC would be good plus a 2.5 or 5 gallon compressed air H2O as the second.

dezertdoug

Reaction
We run 2 Cold fire 2.5 gal and 2 20 lb purple minimum in every truck. We try to double that if possible when we fuel. Plus in fuel trucks we can reload the cold fire if we use as we have for another racer. You never can have enough fire extinguishers or properly trained users. We have watched many teams have a 5lb for fuel stop and fire starts and it laughs at a poorly used 5 lb extinguisher. We have put out 4 fuel fires ( on other cars) in recent years with under 20lbs.

jon coleman

Reaction
said it before, score, more , bitd , ultra 4 should have a basic fire fighting course for any team wanting to attend, the worst thing to watch is someone with a 5lb reading the instructions while the fire gets up to speed, another cheap extinguisher are buckets of powdery sand, helps cover& cool hot parts& smother fumes, Any one can toss dirt, be safe

tapeworm

Reaction
We run 2 Cold fire 2.5 gal and 2 20 lb purple minimum in every truck. We try to double that if possible when we fuel. Plus in fuel trucks we can reload the cold fire if we use as we have for another racer. You never can have enough fire extinguishers or properly trained users. We have watched many teams have a 5lb for fuel stop and fire starts and it laughs at a poorly used 5 lb extinguisher. We have put out 4 fuel fires ( on other cars) in recent years with under 20lbs.
What he said. Doesn’t matter how many fire extinguishers you have if you don’t know how to use them properly. I’ve watched firefighters on fire engines fail to extinguish vehicle fires with 500 gallons of water and foam and they are supposed to be trained professionals.

Ask your local fire station if it’s possible to have them teach a short class for you so you have a better understanding of how to use an extinguisher, what they are capable of doing, and how often they need to be maintained.

MTPyle

Reaction
That’s one of the nice things about the foam extinguishers, you can practice and refill.

we had all of fire guys practice with the foam ones.

Mike

Rcamp99

Reaction
said it before, score, more , bitd , ultra 4 should have a basic fire fighting course for any team wanting to attend, the worst thing to watch is someone with a 5lb reading the instructions while the fire gets up to speed, another cheap extinguisher are buckets of powdery sand, helps cover& cool hot parts& smother fumes, Any one can toss dirt, be safe
You’ve said it before, and @ndvalium has done it at races before. Given classes on fire extinguisher use and etc.

AZ7000'

Reaction
I nominate this for the best... I’ve seen it work in the pits, was with a team that knows their way around airplanes. Super impressive

1612715006653.jpeg

Bro_Gill

Reaction
That's just a modified pressurized water extinguisher to make more bubbles. And that is not necessarily what would be used on aircraft. Lots of combustible metals used on planes (and some cars now), so something Purple K would be more appropriate. A regular PW with plenty of Dawn will do pretty much the same thing if you know how to use your finger on the nozzle.

E.Hagle

Reaction
What is the most common mistake that leads to a fire in the pits and what is the most common mistake that leads to a fire on a moving vehicle. I’ve heard fuel hitting the rotors or a turbo is a major culprit.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I would say in thepit it is spilled fuel and on a car, either fuel from damaged fuel rails or ATF... Most people don't realize how much that flammable liquid expands with heat. Over fill the trans a little and it comes out the fill tube after you get the trans hot, and usually right onto the headers.

Bricoop

Reaction
What is the most common mistake that leads to a fire in the pits and what is the most common mistake that leads to a fire on a moving vehicle. I’ve heard fuel hitting the rotors or a turbo is a major culprit.
Unmanned extinguishers right next to the vehicle is a common mistake. People underestimate how hot that fire is and their ability to get to an extinguisher.

EL ROMAN

Reaction
Most common fires I have seen were from leaking or blown transmission lines and fuel spill/splash on rear brakes. But that is not the point, the point is to be prepared for ANY fire. You can never have too many extinguishers, and people holding them. As previously said, make sure they know how to use them. For every pit, I always make sure I first ask the person if they know how to use one before handing one to them (even if they are 2nd or 3rd in line).

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Like to point out what the numbers mean. A 2A,6B,C extinguisher has been tested and for use by an average person will be able to extinguish 2 cubic feet of an ordinary or common combustible like wood or fabric, be able to extinguish 6 square feet of fire on a flammable liquid bed, and is usable on electrical fires as the extinguishing agent does not conduct electricity. It is not successful on combustible metal fires as those are class 'D'.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Read the sticker on the fire extinguisher. Seriously. The PASS method is what we taught civilians in the fire service. Biggest mistake made is people do not Aim the extinguisher at he fuel that is burning, they spray it into the flames. Have to put it on the fuel, The sticker says it all=
Pull the pin
Aim at the base of the flames
Squeeze the trigger
Sweep the extinguisher across the fuel base

P.A.S.S.

Like you do to other race cars!

coolerking

Reaction
The Lucky Dog endurance series we take part in has a very strict set of fueling regs and a 5 min minimum pit time in/out.
Car has to come to a stop, driver out (we usually change drivers here), power off, pan under fill nozzle.
Every one has to have full sfi rated suits shoes helmets and gloves on with visors down and fire extinguishers in hand, pin pulled and pointed at fueler, no closer than 10 feet away.
No work can be done, and we cannot even touch the car until the driver is out and the main battery power is off.
P.A.S.S.!!!! read it!
I recommend anyone who thinks they may ever need to use one, get a few and practice.
It might make a huge difference in someone's life.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
One of the best I ever saw- On the way to a Silver Dust race out at Searchlight, Nv. in 1984, full size van filled with medical equipment on fire (about half involved) on the grade coming out of Baker at 2am. We stop to make sure the driver is OK. Too much fire for an extinguisher to put out. Truck driver stops, jumps out of the cab with his extinguisher, yells, 'GET BACK!' pulls the pin and THROWS the extinguisher through the melted front window of the van. Too much flashback to Nam I think.