pit support volunteering

palmawor

Reaction
Volunteers are important! What pit support teams are awesome? Please Tell us about your experience. Honda, baja pits, toyo, locos mocos , bfg, private support teams, ...... Thank you guys and ladies.

51rcr

Reaction
yes do share please. I have been wanting to do a post and this was going to be part of it. I think Mag 7 does it also. Do they all stay till times up? Cost? Value? Easy to work with? Do they haul fuel and use there jugs and you prepay for the fuel? Distance and pit spacing? Do they get backed up?

High4

Reaction
I've been with Mag 7 since 2009 as a Pit Captain. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Our pits will stay open until we have serviced or accounted for all our racers. We do our best, with help of radio comms with other pits and Weatherman, to account for all our customers, and we won't close or leave until we see you. There have been a very small number of exceptions to this for me over the last eight years, but it's generally when we're told your tracker is in Estero Beach, going zero miles an hour, or the like.

Cost varies by race distance and type; generally loop races are easier for us to support, require less pit crews, and are generally cheaper logistically. Peninsula runs are more expensive. For example, B1K loop races have occasionally clocked in around 800 miles, while peninsula runs regular approach 1200. This costs more.

The value, related to cost, is in my opinion - unbeatable. We will likely have 18 pits at the Baja 1000, located 55-65 miles apart. Each will be stocked with an experienced crew, tools, spares and fuel (for full service customers), lights, and food. The cost for Full Service at the B1K usually comes in at-or-below the $1k mark, plus fuel. It's impossible for you to replicate the availability of 18 crews over almost 1200 miles for anywhere near that amount. We have racers that have successfully completed peninsula runs with Mag 7 as their only on course support. All they brought was a vehicle to haul their bike or race vehicle home from LaPaz. We are quite simply a force multiplier.

Pricing for the 2017 B1k is here: Mag 7 – 2017 Baja 1000 Pit Support – SCORE Race Info

Mag 7 is unique in that we provide the fuel containers for the fuel load you pre-purchase. Other pit services may require you to provide your own containers, which you then need to collect after the race. We source and haul the fuel to the pits of your choosing, and have it ready in our containers to dispense into your bike, quad, or vehicle when you pull in.

As for getting "backed up", I'm going to assume you mean in the pits, not in the bathroom.

In my experience, we occasionally have racers arrive at the same time in the pit. We generally service them in the order they arrive. If a competitor in your class is a Mag 7 customer as well, be assured that he won't likely leapfrog you in the pit because we pit someone out of order. We have pitted multiple motos simultaneously on occasion, as we have the manpower to do so. Not so with four wheel vehicles, who generally will have to wait their turn.

No matter who you choose for support - good luck, be safe, and race to finish.

Dan

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Depends on the race...north or south of the border?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

y2kbaja

Reaction
What High4 said.

Except I've seen, at VtoR, bike riders completely solo and their plan was to ride their bike back to Vegas to their truck. Didn't work out after they blew the motor. Baja Pit Carlos did get the rider and bike back to Vegas.

DEZERT DUCK

Reaction
when i volunteer i try to help the sanctioning body, especially MORE, cody is a good guy and always needs an extra hand

51rcr

Reaction
found a phone number for baja pits, anyone have number for mag7?

nickybobby333

Reaction
Mag7 is the best hands down! Great guys to work with and plenty of up close action in secluded areas.

El_Dude

Reaction
need any info on us send me a message we do races here in the U.S and in Baja.. we are so work.. we pit for most of the bikes that sign up and a few number of cars.. always a good time...