Plasma Cutters......

motoxscott

Reaction
I'm planning on getting a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50 plasma cutter soon. Has anyone used it and what do you think? A Hypertherm PowerMax 600 is my second choice. I'm not really planning on cutting steel or aluminum thicker than 1/4" really.

Thanks for any info.

-Scott

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Used a TD Dragun that was rated for 3/8, worked bitchen, used it on a truck for like 20 min straight, no problem.! I am pretty sure that is close to or the one you speek of.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

curt

Reaction
I've got the Hypertherm 700 and I love it. A friend bought a smaller ESAB and ended up buying a bigger one cause it just wouldn't cut long enough.....Its cheaper to buy a larger one than buying 2. You will probably only buy 1 plasma cutter for the rest of your days, so if your doing a lot of cutting, consider whether you will be upgrading to cnc plasma in the future and if so buy one that can handle it.

BTW has anyone made their own CNC cutter yet? I've seen the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.torchmate.com>www.torchmate.com</A> and a couple of others but would hope that there's another far cheaper solution for the budget racer...Curt

VORRA Class 7

curt

Reaction
I looked again and it's a Hypertherm Powermax 900. I bought it because after checking the CNC pages, they were almost all recommending the Hypertherm.
See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.plasmacam.com/torch.htm>http://www.plasmacam.com/torch.htm</A> also for plasma cutter opinions. Curt

VORRA Class 7

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I would not buy anything less than a Hypertherm max 900. Any smaller your cut quality and cut time drops fast.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
While helping Nestor out I got to use his Miller and it worked nice but I dont have any other experience to compare it to. I know the 220 is very nice for the thicker materials.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
We have a miller spectrum 701 at our shop. We had for 4-5 years now maybe more.It works great is portable on two large wheels about three feet tall. Its a large unit but we are big shop we need to be able to cut 1/2" aluminum and what ever else up to 5/8" cleanly. Our model has been replaced not to sure what the new one is though.

motoxscott

Reaction
Thanks for all the info guys. I've decided to step it up to the next larger unit. Either the Hypertherm Powermax 1000 or Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 75. They are both rated to 60 amps.

Do any of you guys use a copper templetes to cut out things that you use a lot?

I'm just curious what the optical controlled platforms go for? I've seen some small CNC tables for $4k

-Scott

AaronDixon

Reaction
I got a Hypertherm 600 and it is almost too much for me. I hardly ever cut over 1/4" and this slices right through it. One thing I have noticed, that a larger machine will have a much wider cut (almost 1/8 wide). I used to have a smaller TD that the cut was only about 1/16" wide. For templates, I use steel washers, or anything else with a curve. A steel square (stanley) works well too for straight cuts.

AZmiik

Reaction
At work we have a Cutmaster not sure of the model will look today. and an Esab one thing to look for is consubale prices. The esab parts are twice the price of the cutmaster. As for capabilty I have used the Cutmaster to cut 6" schd 80 pipe(1'2") for about 45 min straight be fore it said it need a break.

Mike