Please Help a Nooby!

MikeLeung

Reaction
Its looks to be a older 1600 car, with some updated parts, microstubs, disc brakes, etc. It doesn't say anything about the motor, but it a pretty good price for a 1600 car

bcampbell04

Resident Almost Know-it-all
Reaction
pretty nice looking car to me. like mike said, its a little old, but with some updates, it would be a great little 1600

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Kevin, what series do you plan to run? Be sure that you are comfortable in a single seat car. This is probably best answered by how much expierence you have with desert racing. You can get a lot of info at www.pro1600.com as well.

hammer down racing

Reaction
Ask about the wheel base. It looks like it might be an old short course car. Single seaters do get a little lonely but they are fun to drive. Good luck on breaking into the sport.:)

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
I would.

Make sure there is an engine and trans included (sounds to cheap to me)

Ask if it has been SCORE approved by Savage.
(even if you don't race SCORE at first, you know it will pass tech everywhere if it is tagged for SCORE.)

Ask to test drive it. Very few cars are sold without a test drive. IF you are "really new" ask a 1600 guy to come with you and drive it.

Good Luck!

KevinC

Reaction
Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.

As for what series, I plan to do MDR, maybe Snore and most definately hit CORR.

He says that it is a 116" wheelbase - seems to be long for shortcourse and a little shy for desert.

I don't plan on winning anything for now, I have no racing experience. Just looking for a good entry level car that is versatal enough to do the dez and the short, get some seat time, earn my lumps and then go from there.

As for finding a 1600 guy to go with me - any volunteers.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
If i were you i would buy my car i just dropped the price to $ 29,000. Everything is race ready. heres the link..the pic is when the car was first built in 2004, has since been upgraded with micro stubs and discs.

http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/...ity=&email=&type=&price1=&price2=&year=&make=

new pic
http://www.highrevphoto.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=11929

Kevin,

Believe it or not, it would be cheaper to buy Cody Freemans car for $29000.00 then to buy a $17000.00 car that will need $10000.00 to make it somewhat competitive, but even then your not sure if it will be as competitive as Cody's car. Thats a smokin' deal for a proven car. Cody, where were you 4 months ago when I was looking for a car?

Reaction
Recently, I heard of a Checker that bought an old 1600, then poured sweat and blood into it, and still figures he'll have 35K+ in it by the time he's finished.

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
Is this Checkers initials T.S.? If so that was an older car that he really did practically rebuild from the ground up. From Most of the chasis tubes to all the corners. this car seems to have far more of the right parts on it.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
Again I am new at this, but it seems that most of the updated stuff has already been done. From what you can see, what would need to be done? - Thank You - Kevin

Well, for one, you don't really know whats in the transmission/motor. They could both be junk, maybe not. Buddy of mine bought a "race ready" trans only to find out it had stock 002 gears and ring and pinion. New motor is approx 4-6k, new trans 3k, not counting a ground up prep (mag parts, go through shocks, CV's, steering, P/S, brakes, electrical, new nuts and bolts, torsion bars...the list goes on). Buying the car is the easy part...TRUST ME. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you the facts. You'll have fun doing it, I know I am. Good luck.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
The series that run up here in the states are a great way to start. You probably want to start out with lap races where you only need 1 or 2 pits and can do without a chase vehicle. A single seat is great, but you might want to have some company. Nothing like getting someone to help you work during the week on the car for exchange of being your co-pilot. You might even be abloe to squeeze some gas money out of them. (Pete, are you out there?) There are a million reasons not to race and only a few to race. Don't try to make logic out of it, just find a good solid car and do it!

J_Lothringer

Reaction
That looks like a great starter car, And should sell in the future for close to that price (so not a bad deal). But I would highly recomend buying a car from a reputable car builder, they always bring a higher dollar on resale (and usually sell fast) As for Codys car it seems to be a nice car with some nice parts, But having troubles selling due to being a "home built". Like I said not a bad car but also not one of the bigger car builders (with experiance).

David_Girdner

Reaction
Website
www.3GRacing.com
Make sure you pay close attention to the front end - especially steering boxes/mounts and spindles. 33" tires, and it looks like this car has 33" Yokohamas all the way around, are very hard on front end parts (heavier/more leverage).

bcampbell04

Resident Almost Know-it-all
Reaction
now that he mentioned it, i'd pay the extra money and buy cody's car. if i was buying a 1600, it would be at the top of my list

3b domination

Reaction
1600 car would be hard to start in i think it has been pretty competitive and class 9 or 11 would be a great start to racing... its a good price looks old..