• Forum membership has its advantages....

Please not trying to start a class rules war...

Kfalcon

As the title says, Im not trying to start a class rules war as everything I have found while searching seems to be just that. BUT, I am turning a class 2000 build around tomorrow to start the rear and I need clarification on something. I feel the rules can be read both ways, but can you notch or "step" the frame above the rear axle for more up travel.

In all my excitement to finish this thing and to keep motivated I have been watching every video / picture I can on the class and there are definitely trucks in the class that have a "step" in the frame above the axle. I dont want to build, then find out it is allowed and bumps stops and all the other things that it will effect will have to be changed. I also dont want to build it without and be annoyed every time I see a truck with it done.

Thanks for your help and info!

drofmij

I would contact the tech director of the organization you plan on racing to get a clarification. Just cause someone says its okay on the forums doesn't mean its really okay!! Be hard to argue, well they said it was okay on RDC forums.....

Wendell #527

Good advice there. Rules are continually changing, so expect to have to change at some point. Best to start off right, though.

Kfalcon

I actually did call and leave a message for the tech director Bill Shapley on March 1st with no reply. Am I supposed to contact the class rep instead? I know the forum isn't the best place for solid info all of the time, but I have waited 25 days for a reply and would like to get the rear started.

Last edited:

Kfalcon

To be honest, I have no problem following the rules and building correctly. BUT, I know every time I see a truck with a notch I will feel a tad on edge. I think its an understandable feeling to know the advantages and not have it done to conform when others are not and nothing is happening about it?

J Prich

Try Jim Messina on Facebook.

Kfalcon

Another question, I am new to the desert racing scene. I have raced just about everything else you can think of and techs were always a tad different in how deep they go. I watched a video of a tech for a un-named org and it literally took 1 minute. Checked the nets, looked inside, checked lights and horn done. Is that the norm?

green787

Another question, I am new to the desert racing scene. I have raced just about everything else you can think of and techs were always a tad different in how deep they go. I watched a video of a tech for a un-named org and it literally took 1 minute. Checked the nets, looked inside, checked lights and horn done. Is that the norm?
Pretty much.... They'll check Helmets and Harnesses for SFI ratings.... Lots of times "techs" are already familiar with a car because they inspected it a month ago.... One of the main tech guys had a bad accident years ago and was burned badly in a motorcycle accident.... Nobody really argues with him.... If he says it's safe.... It's safe.... Rules like notched frames are enforced by the class and at post race tech inspection.... When you win, we care about your notched frame.... Not until then....

Kfalcon

That makes since, thanks for the reply. One of the reasons I ask is one of the trucks with the notch won and was holding a trophy, which led me to believe it was legal.

green787

That makes since, thanks for the reply. One of the reasons I ask is one of the trucks with the notch won and was holding a trophy, which led me to believe it was legal.
In other racing worlds the term legal or illegal might be used a lot.... We prefer to say, it's in violation of the rule book... Not really a criminal activity..... Not enforcing the rule book is criminal, because it makes us look like amatuers and it destroys classes.....

Wendell #527

I have seen things done that are in complete violation of the written rules. Then the person in violation talks to the organization's owner and it is magically declared OK to run. Not good, but completely normal in desert racing. Sometimes a guy like the one you mention wins and others from his class don't want to challenge him (because they are in violation too). It sometimes goes unchallenged. I tell you from experience that staying completely legal and winning is much more rewarding than cheating a little, winning, and hoping nobody challenges you.

hendersoned

I actually did call and leave a message for the tech director Bill Shapley on March 1st with no reply. Am I supposed to contact the class rep instead? I know the forum isn't the best place for solid info all of the time, but I have waited 25 days for a reply and would like to get the rear started.
SNORE has a race next weekend, Bill may already be in Ridgecrest marking course, PM me if you have not heard from him and I'll give you his cell

Dustin O.

I just re-read the SNORE class 2000 rules and I did not see anything about notching the frame. I have seen trucks with and without recently. As someone said already, the rules tend to change somewhat frequently. Jim Messina would be the man to speak to since he is the class rep and on the board. Good luck with your build.

RaptorLou

My $.02
The rule book states this an open class and unless restricted within, which I do not see any restriction.
So my guess would be "C" notching would be ok "accepted" Do check with race tech.
Rule books are very tricky and do not spell out enough data in many areas that can cause misinterpretation or "grey" area, reminds me of OSHA laws!!!!

Lou

J Prich

Sadly I dont have a facebook :(
PM me an email address and I'll forward to him. Based on my experience over the years I suspect notched frames are legal. In fact, I'm 99% sure they are legal.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Bill Shapley is on Facebook a lot...try contacting him there or at his shop in N Las Vegas.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Kfalcon

Thank you all for the info and help! I sent PMs to those that offered to help though them. I will be at the race this weekend so maybe I can talk to him directly if he isn't too busy. I have been to wagon wheel camping before, is that the best spot to see the most. Not just racing but team set ups pits etc? Id really like to get a feel for the class while I'm there and see some of the trucks!

Again thank you all for the help!

Kfalcon

Thanks to Justin in the 2077 truck for the text and the invite to check out his truck this weekend in Ridgecrest. With all the things going on on a race weekend and the prepping before he took the time to get a hold of me and invite me. If this is an indicator on how the community is I am very happy. Looking forward to meeting you in person Justin your the man.

Hendersoned, thanks for the reply. I will be there Saturday and possibly Friday to see how tech and all runs. Hope to meet you too.

Thanks to J Prich for all the info in IMs too.

Jim Messina thanks for your time and info during the busy week you have getting ready for the race too.

I was told that a C notch is fine as long as the factory frame remains after the notch. Wheelbase is also open. I cant wait for this weekend. See you all there.